• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Too many roadblocks!

Guest123_x1

I bought my copy of Moon earlier today and began playing it. I thought this game was going to be good, but I've discovered that not only are there WAY too many forced cinematics/cutscenes (most of which are painfully long), there are too many roadblocks, and now that I've made it to the grassy area south of my house with the Alolan Rattata, I can't go back to the area where the Pokémon were Levels 2-3.

I know so many people are enjoying Sun/Moon, but I'm finding this game to be the biggest waste of $40 of my life! Not only do we have these annoying and unnecessary roadblocks (which are worse than in X/Y and OR/AS combined), but the gameplay goes by so slow! None of the previous games I've played, from Generations I and II to Alpha Sapphire and Y are this bad when it comes to gameplay!

If only they were selling strategy guides in any stores instead of having to order them online, it would probably help.

I'm actually thinking of giving up on Sun/Moon and trading in my copy of Moon already.

Years
    • Seen Dec 26, 2016
    I agree that the story is a drag soo far... and way too many lame cut scenes.... and as far as i am now ive yet too actually be able too goo off and doo my own thing its like a liner path that your forced to goo through for the story.... but im having some fun with the game soo far id say just stick with it... i mean its noo pokemon blue, red, sliver, or gold.... but its ok....

Years
    • Age 31
    • USA
    • Seen Mar 30, 2024
    It's definitely a disservice to the region that the game is so linear. You arrive at the second island, the professor say something along the lines of "Where the Trainers go is up to them on their Island Trial"... but then everything is in one very restricted line. Like, I couldn't even look away from the rippling water in Lana's trial without her forcing me back on-course. Isn't this region supposed to be super-vast for the sake of exploration?

But at the same time, although I would say it's a weak point of the game, I wouldn't say it's so bad as to warrant giving up on the titles. The games are still enjoyable despite their flaws.

Guest123_x1

I fail to see how all these lengthy cutscenes and forced tutorials are supposed to help younger players... heck, those of us that played Generations I and II when they were first released for the Game Boy/GBC were generally between 7 to 12 years old at that time, and yet we managed to get through just fine, despite the early games' sheer brokenness.

At any rate, I probably won't be completing Moon for at least the next several months, as my attention span isn't what it used to be. I'm more likely to finish all three of the Virtual Console Generation I games that I have on my 2DS before finishing Moon (or Y).

Guest123_x1

I'm also extremely pissed at the fact that you have to press A just to open any door! This was never required in any previous Pokémon game, which worked out just fine! Yes, I understand that Pokémon has to compete with Yo-Kai Watch, but it's become the latter series, in a BAD way!

I'm still considering giving up and trading in my game, and refocusing on just completing my Virtual Console Red, Blue, and Yellow.

My philosophy for most things in life, including video games is, "if it ain't broke don't fix it": Sun and Moon "fixed" what wasn't broken in the first place.

tokyodrift

[i]got me looking for attention[/i]
    Years
    • Age 30
    • he/him
    • Seen Mar 8, 2024
    I've also noticed this, although I personally don't see it as a much an issue as others, but the amount of forced cinematic are really starting to annoy me.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    The amount of cutscenes and stops for dialog really doesn't bother me. It's....not uncommon for JRPGs to be like this anyway. I kinda like it really.

I get that it's not for everyone, but both the kind of games where story is very heavy and ones where the game gives a little exposition and then just drops you in and doesn't bother you much again have their charms, but I suppose I'm some weirdo who likes both.

Regardless of what you like though, I don't really think it's game-ruining

thedestinedblade

Radiant Cool Boy
    Years
    I'm also extremely pissed at the fact that you have to press A just to open any door! This was never required in any previous Pokémon game, which worked out just fine! Yes, I understand that Pokémon has to compete with Yo-Kai Watch, but it's become the latter series, in a BAD way!

I'm still considering giving up and trading in my game, and refocusing on just completing my Virtual Console Red, Blue, and Yellow.

My philosophy for most things in life, including video games is, "if it ain't broke don't fix it": Sun and Moon "fixed" what wasn't broken in the first place.

It looks like you've made up your mind already. I mean, you had a legitimate gripe with the roadblocks (although it's nothing new to series) but the pressing A to open doors? C'mon, that's just nitpicking.

Yo-kai Watch sales have been declining, and while they're still might be some competition in Japan sales, there's really no competition on a global scale.

Yoshikko

the princess has awoken while the prince sleeps on
    Years
    • Seen Apr 27, 2020
    it's funny because slow progress is a plus for me. i lose interest in a game when the plot flies by and you only have to spend 10 minutes in each city. that is what makes me give games up. i don't have the game yet but the fact that you say it progresses slowly excites me!!! gen 4 was one of my favourites for this reason.

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
    Years
    It's definitely a disservice to the region that the game is so linear. You arrive at the second island, the professor say something along the lines of "Where the Trainers go is up to them on their Island Trial"... but then everything is in one very restricted line. Like, I couldn't even look away from the rippling water in Lana's trial without her forcing me back on-course. Isn't this region supposed to be super-vast for the sake of exploration?

But at the same time, although I would say it's a weak point of the game, I wouldn't say it's so bad as to warrant giving up on the titles. The games are still enjoyable despite their flaws.

I kind of feel like it's the opposite. The islands are really small and all the roadblocks/cutscenes are used to make it feel like a longer adventure. Hawaii is a lot smaller compared to other places like an entire part of Japan, I feel like? Though I'm not very good at geography. Alola feels really cramped to me, but I also think that they're doing a good job of making every area meaningful and extending the game's length.

It sort of feels linear in the story but I'm just glad that it's not physically linear like Unova or Kalos. That was really annoying.

Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen May 15, 2024
    Two dumb things that were changed that seem pointless.

Having to press A to go into the Pokémon Center, makes no sense.

And then having no Switch button for your party Pokémon unless you are looking at them in the PC. I think you have to highlight one by pressing Y, then click on the one you want to switch with it and then press y again. I never remember it. Meanwhile the move button is there when in the pc.

Kieran

the Blueberry Champion
    Years

I had to reply to this-- I pretty much preferred having to press A to open doors. I can't stress enough how many a times I've rushed into useless places and having to exit again. This is a good block for rushy people like myself.

As for your original "too much cutscenes", it really never bothered me. I really enjoyed the cutscenes, they're part of a new story and I appreciate them.

Two dumb things that were changed that seem pointless.

Having to press A to go into the Pokémon Center, makes no sense.

And then having no Switch button for your party Pokémon unless you are looking at them in the PC. I think you have to highlight one by pressing Y, then click on the one you want to switch with it and then press y again. I never remember it. Meanwhile the move button is there when in the pc.

First, as above.

Second, you can just use the stylus to move them around. This generation seems to rely much more heavily on stylus. I am actually a very old school person whom is still using the buttons and navigation until this generation (Forced to, since you can no longer press around to move around now). Guess I am just a more feasible person and take to changes easily.

Years
    • Age 31
    • USA
    • Seen Mar 30, 2024
    I kind of feel like it's the opposite. The islands are really small and all the roadblocks/cutscenes are used to make it feel like a longer adventure. Hawaii is a lot smaller compared to other places like an entire part of Japan, I feel like? Though I'm not very good at geography. Alola feels really cramped to me, but I also think that they're doing a good job of making every area meaningful and extending the game's length.

It sort of feels linear in the story but I'm just glad that it's not physically linear like Unova or Kalos. That was really annoying.

Actually, the more I play the more I find you're right. It's a very small region with very straightforward routes. But that kinda makes the linearity feel like forced padding? Like I'm stopped very frequently for very silly reasons.

The layout of the region is definitely more interesting than Unova or Kalos, but I'm having a hard time using that as justification for what seems to be the most linear Pokémon game yet. I still think a little bit more freedom would have made exploring a bit more enjoyable as a whole.

Captain Gizmo

Monkey King
    Years
    I've noticed that there's a lot of hand holding in the game but I don't see the problem. It's pretty different from the previous game generations, so it tells us where to go and such since there's no 'Gym Leaders' to beat anymore since you gotta do Trials now. It helps people go from point A to point B in a more friendly way since it's a new way of Pokemon story mode.

Does it have a lot of cutscenes/roadblocks? Yes, the most in the entire Pokemon main series game. Does it make the game not fun? Not at all, I'm having a lot of fun.

Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen May 15, 2024
    Wish the stylus was as fast as the switch button. You have to really push the stylus into the screen to even grab the pokemon box, plus it involves pulling the stylus out and using it when the switch button was just easier.

Not to mention the fact you can move them within your party while in the pc. Why add it there? Seems kind of pointless to use it in the pc since usually when in the pc you're aren't changing the order of Pokemon in our party, but moving Pokemon between pc and party.

Really it's just annoying.

Back