• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Tower Duo (Lugia vs. Ho-Oh)

Which Pokémon do you choose?

• Total voters
Years
  • Tower Duo (Lugia vs. Ho-Oh)

The mascots of Gold and Silver (as well as their remakes in 2009/10), the legendary duo was the first of its kind, with Lugia being regarded as the "guardian of the seas", and Ho-Oh being known as the "guardian of the skies." Both have similar, yet very different stories in the Johto region, and have been portrayed in many different ways across the games, anime, and other media. When they're going head-to-head though, with legendary bird are you going to side with?

Last edited:

EC

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen Jul 1, 2022
    This is very tough for me. They both have some great stories behind the legends. Ultimately, I voted for Lugia, because I have a shirt with Lugia on it.

Disturb not the harmony of fire, ice, or lightning...

Years
    • Seen today
    Lugia. Ho-Oh still has a very pretty design, but I've always preferred Lugia.

I find it odd how Lugia isn't a water type, espeically with the title "guardian of the sea".

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Dec 11, 2023
    Lugia!! Still one of my favorite Pokemon not only because of the movie(s) but also because of the fact that it's because I found Lugia's design better than Ho-Oh that I chose to first play Silver over Gold. So definitely has a bit of a soft spot in my heart!

Years
  • ho-oh needs more luv pls ;_;
    Love the entire concept of a fire phoenix, and its history is insanely cool too. Ecruteak will forever be my favorite city/town in Pokémon. Have my vote!

Years
    • Seen Feb 9, 2024
    I'm going with Ho-Oh on this one. There's just nothing that really draws me to Lugia.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Mar 22, 2024
    I'd have to say Lugia as well - ever since I was a kid and the original GSC games first came out, I thought Lugia was super cool and it was my favourite of the duo.

Noblejanobii

The Maddest Shaymin
    Years
  • While I did prefer Lugia for the longest time, my playthrough of Heartgold, which was my first Johto experience, definitely changed that. Since then for my classes I've done lots of research into various mythos across the world, and it's really cool to see that Ho-oh's origins go just beyond the Phoenix, but also possibly stem from the Aztec deity of war and fire as well. Lugia I can't really say the same for, it's a leviathan and a Ryūjin.

Hyzenthlay

[span=font-size: 16px; font-family: cinzel; color:
    Years
  • Ho-Oh for me, easily! I've always found it so majestic and awe-inspiring, one of the best Legendary designs. It's also a great concept.

Lugia is awesome too, though! I have a soft spot for baby Lugia. <3 (To be honest, it only loses points because I never liked its wing-hands, hahah. xD)

Years
    • Seen Mar 28, 2024
    Although Ho-Oh has a regal cry, a beautiful appearance, and an awesome theme, Lugia was the first of the duo I got to know. Its appearance in the second movie won me over.

Dragon

lover of milotics
    Years
  • Oh, I grew up with Ho-oh -- definitely Ho-oh, I love it's elegant, pretty design. c:

But, I think Lugia has the better shiny colour.

Years
  • Ho-oh for me I had gold as my gen 2 game and heart gold when the remakes came out, there always seemed to be something more mystic about Ho-oh

Last edited:

Braze

TQ Supremacy
    Years
  • I go with Ho-Oh, Because it's been more special to me than Lugia, Also i chose Gold over Silver and Heart Gold over Soul Silver, idk why.

Years
  • Ho-Oh looks awesome and is a fire bird! And its shiny form is super cool gold and silver (too bad I have zero patience to SR legendaries). Also I played Gold so I was able to catch it first.

Lugia's cool though too.

Back