• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Chit-Chat: Trade Corner DCC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Funny... Netflix recently paid Comcast to open up more band width for Netflix suscribers because of the high percentage of people who use it(and the high level of complaints on interrupted service from Comcast subscribers who felt it was slow). Most of my friends who use Netflix do so through their Wii. A part of me wonders how much traffic through the WFC is Netflix related.... and I wonder if Netflix will step in and offer to pay Nintendo to keep those servers running silimar to the deal they did with Comcast. It's wishful thinking perhaps.

Time will tell how this impacts people.

Unfortunately I imagine the cost of keeping it up would be greater than what netflix could willingly pay :/
    I may be wrong though.

Azire

Mr. Premier Ball
    Years
    • Seen Dec 25, 2016
    To be completely honest I didn't realize people actually used other products really. Pokémon is the only product I own from Nintendo. Netflix I've always used on PlayStation. I didn't really think there were any good games for Wii or DS besides for Pokémon. I bought an ex a Wii and tried to out but didn't like it at all. I guess I kind thought everybody else was like me.

Years
    • Seen Oct 26, 2016
    Unfortunately I imagine the cost of keeping it up would be greater than what netflix could willingly pay :/
    I may be wrong though.

I would "imagine" (knowing nothing about what Nintendo pays to keep the servers running mind you) not as much as what they just spent on the Comcast deal.... I can not find a direct figure, but saw one article claim it was "only several million dollars." I love the word "only" being used in that way... isn't it nice that a writer thought "only" looks right in from of those other words?

Griffinbane

I hate Smeargle.
    Years
  • To be completely honest I didn't realize people actually used other products really. Pokémon is the only product I own from Nintendo. Netflix I've always used on PlayStation. I didn't really think there were any good games for Wii or DS besides for Pokémon. I bought an ex a Wii and tried to out but didn't like it at all. I guess I kind thought everybody else was like me.

Uh, wut? There's Megaman, Fire Emblem, Shin Megami Tensei, the Mana series, Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest, Harvest Moon, and a buttload of other really good games! And that's just for the DS!

Speaking of DS, I really need to get the latest Mario Party and Paper Mario. Then there's the latest Etrian Odyssey, Bravely Default, and I believe a new Monster Rancher is coming out soon. /drool

Haunted Cupcake

Soul Resonance Technician
    Years
  • for giveaway threads where would be good to place it? in trade corner? i just cloned a tonne of 6iv JPN ditto and my Hatched kalos born 6iv shiny eevee and my event legends.

Last edited:

tabor62

[b][color=#CADB5A]W[/color][color=#C8DA4F]h[/color
    Years
  • for giveaway threads where would be good to place it? in trade corner? i just cloned a tonne of 6iv JPN ditto and my Hatched kalos born 6iv shiny eevee and my event legends.

Giveaways fit into our Trade Plaza sub-forum :) [Clicky-clicky]

Also while this news wasn't too surprising to me because of how most games aren't really used online anymore too much and the server costs and crap, I would have rather seen them continue supporting the more popular games and only discontinued the ones that weren't seeing as much use *grumbles*

Also I think Netflix should still work? I remember reading that >.<

On a somewhat related note, I went onto the GTS on my Platinum a few days ago for the heck of it, and I couldn't even find a Zubat up for offer.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Oct 26, 2016
    Giveaways fit into our Trade Plaza sub-forum :) [Clicky-clicky]

Also while this news wasn't too surprising to me because of how most games aren't really used online anymore too much and the server costs and crap, I would have rather seen them continue supporting the more popular games and only discontinued the ones that weren't seeing as much use *grumbles*

Also I think Netflix should still work? I remember reading that >.<

On a somewhat related note, I went onto the GTS on my Platinum a few days ago for the heck of it, and I couldn't even find a Zubat up for offer.

Technically some of the more popular games still seeing use have the servers hosted by the publishers... For Example: Harmonix hosts the servers for Rock Band. I can see Nintendo dropping support for their own games, especially less popular ones. I would "think" that once you have the server running the less popular ones do not really add anything to the cost of running the server... I think it is having the server running in the first place that causes the costs.

Keep in mind, everytime we use Pokecheck, we are actually using Nintendo's servers. I do not understand how we use their servers yet get our data re-directed to the right place... But Pokecheck in the long run accesses the real GTS servers. So Nintendo should be seeing a lot of traffic to their own servers still from those of us that utilize that.

Some Mario Kart fans are trying to learn how the data comes and goes to be able to create a private server.... If they have sucess I would think it should be able to be duplicated for Pokemon. Not sure though, since although Wii and DS connect through the same service, they likely have slightly different access to that service.

I DOUBT that anyone on here REALLY cares about losing the GTS.... What people ARE going to care about is losing access to Pokecheck.(Which means no checking Stats anymore in Gen IV/V, and no cloning in Gen IV/V).

Years
    • Seen Jan 2, 2016
    Every single DS game I own I will lose all ability to play with since I only play online with them. That's a few hundred dollars gone up in smoke. All my Pokémon games except X I won't be able to trade or RNG on... no more Pokémon Dungeon games and saving others... no more Zelda... no more pokecheck... DS is the number one console I use to play online with. Nintendo has seriously removed over half of my life and hundreds of dollars invested for online play. I'm really bummed and if powersave doesn't work on regular DS games then I'll be buying a save dongle/nds adapter. If pokecheck stays up I'll be able to take the .pkm files and inject them into the save file to use. Lots more work and all but I'll find a way to survive!

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
    Years
  • Every single DS game I own I will lose all ability to play with since I only play online with them. That's a few hundred dollars gone up in smoke. All my Pokémon games except X I won't be able to trade or RNG on... no more Pokémon Dungeon games and saving others... no more Zelda... no more pokecheck... DS is the number one console I use to play online with. Nintendo has seriously removed over half of my life and hundreds of dollars invested for online play. I'm really bummed and if powersave doesn't work on regular DS games then I'll be buying a save dongle/nds adapter. If pokecheck stays up I'll be able to take the .pkm files and inject them into the save file to use. Lots more work and all but I'll find a way to survive!
    Um, I fail to see how you wouldn't still be able to RNG. Where I've seen Power Save I'm pretty sure it was able to backup DS saves, it just doesn't have cheats as far as I know. Can't say for sure really, but I mean Save Dongles are pretty damn cheap. I got mine for less than twenty bucks.

And if you need a use for all your carts you're not using any more *cough*Challenges*cough*

Tyrael

This is a Sailor's Prayer
    Years
  • Um, I fail to see how you wouldn't still be able to RNG. Where I've seen Power Save I'm pretty sure it was able to backup DS saves, it just doesn't have cheats as far as I know. Can't say for sure really, but I mean Save Dongles are pretty damn cheap. I got mine for less than twenty bucks.

And if you need a use for all your carts you're not using any more *cough*Challenges*cough*

She won't be able to RNG because parents come from Pokecheck. I mean, admittedly she could just RNG capture Pokemon with 3-4 good IVs to use as parents, but Pokecheck makes RNG a lot easier to get parents. Although i'm pretty bummed about the online capability going down for these games, it really doesn't affect me all that much. Seeing as all the RNG I plan to be doing in Gen V/IV will be capture and I also don't mind just playing the games every now and then.

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
    Years
  • She won't be able to RNG because parents come from Pokecheck. I mean, admittedly she could just RNG capture Pokemon with 3-4 good IVs to use as parents, but Pokecheck makes RNG a lot easier to get parents. Although i'm pretty bummed about the online capability going down for these games, it really doesn't affect me all that much. Seeing as all the RNG I plan to be doing in Gen V/IV will be capture and I also don't mind just playing the games every now and then.
    So she's just being lazy? ;P

Sounds about right. Anyway, I can't really find much info on whether it can actually back up DS carts, which would be silly if it couldn't. I mean the tech is pretty close to each other. I suppose we'll see when someone here finally receives one that works, whoever that will be first.

Tyrael

This is a Sailor's Prayer
    Years
  • So she's just being lazy? ;P

Sounds about right. Anyway, I can't really find much info on whether it can actually back up DS carts, which would be silly if it couldn't. I mean the tech is pretty close to each other. I suppose we'll see when someone here finally receives one that works, whoever that will be first.

There are actually a few people on PC who have a working one, but I think only one of them is somewhat active in TC. Mine got shipped yesterday so it should be here either Monday or Tuesday. When I get it, i'll test it out and see if it'll work on some of my DS games.

Years
  • Technically some of the more popular games still seeing use have the servers hosted by the publishers... For Example: Harmonix hosts the servers for Rock Band. I can see Nintendo dropping support for their own games, especially less popular ones. I would "think" that once you have the server running the less popular ones do not really add anything to the cost of running the server... I think it is having the server running in the first place that causes the costs.

Keep in mind, everytime we use Pokecheck, we are actually using Nintendo's servers. I do not understand how we use their servers yet get our data re-directed to the right place... But Pokecheck in the long run accesses the real GTS servers. So Nintendo should be seeing a lot of traffic to their own servers still from those of us that utilize that.

Some Mario Kart fans are trying to learn how the data comes and goes to be able to create a private server.... If they have sucess I would think it should be able to be duplicated for Pokemon. Not sure though, since although Wii and DS connect through the same service, they likely have slightly different access to that service.

I DOUBT that anyone on here REALLY cares about losing the GTS.... What people ARE going to care about is losing access to Pokecheck.(Which means no checking Stats anymore in Gen IV/V, and no cloning in Gen IV/V).

Cloning can still be done for those who have the action replay.

Years
  • I don't think anyone answered the question if you could determine someone else's SV through the powersave.
    Several active members here have theirs already so....

Years
    • Seen Jan 2, 2016
    Give me a few to hack my game up and I'll see! Just kidding, I'm testing cloning and ESVs first. :P

Years
  • Cloning would be my priority as well:)

Question for everyone ...what do you think I want when you see this statement. ..
    " I want gen 6 shinies ( A.K.A the new guys)"?

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back