• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

"Trainer used a MAX REPEL."

Years
How often do you use Repels in the games? Do you use them often, or only at certain parts of the game? Or are you more lazy (or just don't care to) and go through areas while running away from wild encounters?

Explorer of Time

Advocate of Ideals
Years
Once Super Repels start being sold in stores, I start using them in caves and water areas where I can't avoid tall grass. Later, once I don't have to worry about money, I switch to Max Repels and keep them on in areas with tall grass, too. I generally don't bother buying non-Super/Max Repels unless I pick them up as items somewhere.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Any pronoun
  • Online now
Rarely.
1. Backtracking, particularly through caves, high encounter water, or places with lots of unavoidable grass. Generally uses stuff on-hand, rather than planning it.

2. DexNav chaining. Burned through a lot hunting down Pelippers for Lucky Eggs and other hold items on Omega Ruby. Stocked up on a ton of (probably) Super Repels for cash efficiency.

Years
Yes, especially in older games. I was definitely lazier as a child so I didn't use them at all. It did bother me, especially in some areas. Growing up, maybe getting used to newer and faster games, I started being less patient with encounters, do I use them more lol

Curt_09

Also known as Chozo
Years
In the past I never used repels because I didn't mind the extra EXP from the battles and was a hoarder with my money. When I replayed the older games on VC I made ample use of repels in caves and such to save time. In the Switch games repels aren't needed, so I'm back to not using them.

Sweet Serenity

Advocate of Truth
Years
I use Max Repels all the time, especially in caves or surfing on water. It is probably my most used item in the old games next to Pokéballs. Whenever I catch all possible Pokémon in a location, I use Max Repel so I can be able to travel freely in tall grass, caves, and water. It is annoying when you can barely move because you're getting attacked by random wild Pokémon. I am glad Pokémon just roam around openly nowadays, making it so repels never have to be used again.

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen yesterday
The more time I spend in the game, the less patience I feel towards wild encounters.

That said, each time I use a repel, I wonder if i'm missing out on a potential shiny encounter.

Years
Once there's nothing new to catch in an area I'm pretty much just spamming them unless I need Exp.
I use them a lot as a result.

Though not so much in Galar's Wild Areas and SV as you can usually see the Pokemon coming.

MVs.C Fan

Newbie (ChillEnjoyer)
Years
I would say than i use more max repels while being inside of a cave or any zone where aren't interesting Pokémon to catch.

Max repels are a miracle >:)

Years
Always Super, never Max.
I feel it'd be better if Super lasted 250 steps and Max lasted 500, but nope.. 200, 250, respectively.

Naturally there's no use in Repels whatsoever in Scarlet/Violet, but in prior games I would usually buy Super Repels in multiples of 10 when I had the money. If I'm not seeking a certain Pokémon or grinding, then random encounters are just too interrupty.

Days
I use repels when I'm just aimlessly traveling and the wild pokémon wouldn't give me decent exp anyway. Otherwise I try not to use them, especially when the Pokémon in a certain area are sort of high-level, except when I get lazy.

Also, caves annoy the hell out of me. I use repels there a lot, except when I'm training or looking to catch rock-types.

Back