• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

transliterate your favorite Pokémon's English name to katakana

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Online now
    Zekrom in katakana is ゼクロム (although more specifically it's "Zekuromu", but same thing I guess)

what I was really hoping for though was to put it into google translate and see if it generates anything funny since google translate has never been known to be the most amazing translator, but unfortunately it that doesn't happen =(

putting in ゼクロム yields Zekrom, putting in Zekrom yields ゼクロム

faf

[b][color=#1acc14]Queen of Dragons[/color][/b]
    Years
  • スクラフティー is Scrafty's name transliterated. For fun, I decided to use its Japanese name (Zuruzukin) and I got ザーラザキン (although it did detect that it's romanticized Japanese at the bottom and showed its real name: ズルズキン)

Years
  • Butterfree converts to バターフリー, which is almost the exact same as its actual katakana (バタフリー), though it has the same name in both English and Japanese so it's not surprising.

Azumarill is a little more interesting (アザマーリル), since its name in Japanese in Marilli (マリルリ), though pronounced closer to Mariruri.

Years
  • Eugh, why does it spell Primarina like that? プリマリナ is perfectly sufficient.

I actually have a lot of favorite Pokémon, and since I actually know katakana, I think it'd be more fun to do the transliterations myself!

So, a sampling! Not including Primarina since I just did my own take on that at the start of this post.

サンスラッシュ (Sandslash)
    アーケン (Archen)
    スナイヴィー (Snivy)
    ドリフルーン (Drifloon)
    ミエンフー (Mienfoo)
    ウイムジコット (Whimsicott)
    マラクタス (Maractus)
    ヴォルカロナ (Volcarona)
    オーディノ (Audino)
    ファリンクス (Falinks)
    コーフィッシュ (Corphish)
    キュボーン (Cubone)
    グランピッグ (Grumpig)
    クイラヴァ (Quilava)
    ヴェポリオン (Vaporeon)
    ドドゥオ (Doduo)

Doing this made me realize that a weirdly-big chunk of my favorite Pokémon have the exact same names in Japanese as in English, so I skipped over those.

Years
    • Age 21
    • Seen Nov 2, 2023
    the first column is based on pronunciation and spelling. For Primarina, the second column, based on pronunciation only, プリーマリーナ
    the tool probably doesn't know exactly how Primarina is pronounced.

Kazetori

Vaporeon Trainer
    Years
  • For English to katakana, I probably like アーチクーノ for Articuno. The 'ti' becomes a 'chi' sound and it's cute haha
    Semi-related, but straight up favorite different Japanese name is for Cramorant. It's Japanese name is ウッウ, like... oo oo in English. Put that in google translate and have it say it, it's hilarious lmao

Years
  • タイロー would imply that Taillow is pronounced like "tie-low", when I'm pretty sure it's supposed to be "tay-low", so I think テイロー would be a better way to spell it.
    Actually, I might spell it テイロウ instead, but the difference there is pretty much a purely stylistic one.

This program's ability to estimate pronunciation seems... limited, but that's fine. I'm a native English speaker and oftentimes I have to just guess at pronunciations of words spelled with English characters, haha

the first column is based on pronunciation and spelling. For Primarina, the second column, based on pronunciation only, プリーマリーナ
    the tool probably doesn't know exactly how Primarina is pronounced.

It's not really that プリーマーリーナー or プリーマリーナ are wrong as much as that they're just clunky and ugly transliterations that border on a little silly with how many vowel sounds they needlessly draw out. プリマリナ still hits all the sounds of Primarina's English name just fine. Personally, I'd extend maybe one of the vowels, tops. プリマリーナ would be my personal second-choice katakana spelling... or maybe even tied with プリマリナ, now that I think about it

...I say all this, but I know you're just relaying your understanding of how the webpage works. I really don't mean to criticize you or anything! Just explaining my feelings is all.

Last edited:

Uecil

[img]https://i.ibb.co/4jfYrCT/tHdpHUB.png[/img]
    Years
  • Mine's Vulpix. On its wiki page it says ロコン, but via that translator, it's バルピクス.

I /do/ like how they both look.

Back