• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Twitch Plays pokemon

hiff8

Gotta Derp em all
Years
    • Seen Apr 4, 2015
    If anyone is still yet to hear of this phenominon, here it is. 50,000 people, all playing one game of pokemon.

Here's how it works:

There's a twitch stream of pokemon red, with a bot rigged to input any classical gameboy command put into the chat, into the game (right, a, b, start, etc). It's pretty hilarious and frustrating to watch, if you guys want to get in on this here's link:

http://www.twitch.tv/twitchplayspokemon

They actually already got a Gym badge and 5 pokemon, do you think they can beat the game? And by they I mean the equivalent of south Sudan crowded around a single game boy. Have fun.

Years
  • I saw bits and pieces of this, and I don't think i'm one for it. Last I remember they were at Celadon City and had one active Pokémon that was paralyzed and about to faint. And since RBY isn't generous at all with money, that's not something I really want to try my hand in. D:

hiff8

Gotta Derp em all
    Years
    • Seen Apr 4, 2015
    Yeah, it's actually pretty surprising though. They just got their second gym badge. It's like the infinite monkeys effect with a little bit more coordination.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Mar 22, 2024
    Yess, it's hilarious. I was on a few hours ago, with a bunch of people trying to grab that Eevee in the Celadon Condominiums, while the other half were like "NO SCREW YOU EEVEE SUCKS" and constantly trying to go back down the stairs.

They got that Eevee like 20 minutes later, but god knows how long they've been struggling before I started watching the stream.

Up to four badges and 10 Pokemon in the Pokedex when I stopped watching, pretty amazing actually, considering this is basically what's happening:

make-it-stop.gif

Treecko

the princess without voice
    Years
  • I'm gonna be honest, I'm loving this. It's surprising how fast they're actually progressing through the game. You'd imagine that over 50,000 people playing the same game would mean they'd stuill be in Pewter City, but now they have 4 badges. It's still chaotic though since they took 4 days to do that...... They were at Route 9 for forever. That Ledge is the devil.
    '
    Also ALL HAIL THE HELIX FOSSIL!

Spoiler:

audinowho

Unovan Indeedee
    Years
    • Seen May 4, 2024
    Fun fact. The rom being played on this stream is none other than Pokemon Red 151!

Jesus, that eevee is going to be the root of all divisiveness for a long ways in the future.

Treecko

the princess without voice
    Years
  • They apparently just released ABBBBBBK ( (The Charmeleon if you didn't know.) Excuse me as I go cry forever. :(

hiff8

Gotta Derp em all
    Years
    • Seen Apr 4, 2015
    There's always that ******* who works to release all the pokemon any time they're in a pokemon center XD

I love all the memes that spawned for it, Flareon is a false prophet!

DANCE.png

Last edited:

TCB

Tranquilo.
    Years
  • Hello fellow Helixians. Even though the Helix has been stored he will guide us to the best of his ability.

Annnnnnnnnnd they just Teleport'd

Incinermyn

The Abomination Lives!!!
    Years
  • I don't even need to watch and I can tell how chaotic this play-through must be. I was actually talking about it with someone in a private chat room last night, and the way he described was "the fact that they're making any progress at all is amazing."

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • I have a bad feeling they're going to get stuck in the Safari Zone. Either it's going to take them a LONG time to get through it or it's going to be the end of it all.

Thief

The Dark One
    Years
  • Nah, I'm pretty sure the guy who put this up said he'd edit the ROM to somehow sort out the safari zone if it was deemed to be literally impossible.

Regardless, I've been watching since around the 16000 people mark nearly on day 2 (now at 61000), and it's pretty entertaining. 'CONSULT THE HELIX FOSSIL' is probably going to be stuck in my head for a while. Not to mention the SS Ticket. And that ledge before Rock Tunnel... dear god.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • THESE WARP PANELS IN ROCKET HIDEOUT URRRRGHHH!!!

I should sticky this thread til popularity of it dies down. I mean, it IS a hot topic in Pokemon right now. Hmm.

CliCliW

I have a Ph.D in Horribleness.
    Years
  • TheJWittz mentioned this in a video today. It's literally the best thing I've ever heard of. I just regret the fact that my internet is waaaaaay too slow to watch it :'(

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
    Years
  • My main annoyance rn is that nothing ever happens while I'm watching lmao. I fell asleep while they were trying to hit up the daycare and woke up to crimes against humanity (aka two releases, a terrible evolution, the storing of Lord Helix and the wasting of pokédolls) and now I've been watching the Rocket Hideout nonsense for a few hours. bleah

oh, some people are recording the progress in a google doc btw- here it is!

Years
  • I watched for about half an hour earlier and it was just back and forth in the Rocket hideout.

I enjoyed reading about what's happened so far on knowyourmeme.

Hopefully it'll calm down in a few days and I can get on when most Americans should be asleep, it'd be cool to be part of a coordinated effort.

Back