• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Twitch Plays pokemon

Flushed

never eat raspberries
Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    By the number of viewers, and the fact that there haven't been any posts here in a day or so, it seems like the whole thing is dying down quite a bit (to state the obvious lol, would've expected that much after beating Red Version). It's quite sad really.

Anyways, checking in since I haven't much lately, they're about to face Clair. The team's looking pretty sad tbh. Why is there a level 30 unevolved Hoothoot?

Princess Diana

the people's princess
    Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2023
    By the number of viewers, and the fact that there haven't been any posts here in a day or so, it seems like the whole thing is dying down quite a bit (to state the obvious lol, would've expected that much after beating Red Version). It's quite sad really.

Anyways, checking in since I haven't much lately, they're about to face Clair. The team's looking pretty sad tbh. Why is there a level 30 unevolved Hoothoot?

As I look right now there are 17k players. It's quite sad how quickly interest has diminished, but it should've been expected.

The Hoothoot thing is ridiculous though.

Razer302

Three Days Grace - Break
    Years
  • To me it should just all be anarchy mode, without it I find it far to boring, I haven't seen many times when the game has had epic moments either. haven't watched since Morty and I doubt it got any more interesting. Democracy being every hour made things far to easy to complete puzzles.

Whats the HootHoot thing?

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • Last I heard, they got to Victory Road with Feraligatr, Shuckle, Hoothoot, and Espeon. I haven't had much interest in this playthrough, honestly. :( And I think they got through Johto easier because 1. it's smaller than Red's Kanto and 2. there are less people playing this time.

Treecko

the princess without voice
    Years
  • It's still fun to me, but I've been watching less and less. We were attempting Victory Road , but now we seem to be wondering aimlessly . It died down when we were near Victory Road last time so I expected this, just not this bad. The new system could have been a part of it.
    Spoiler:

It's like a hybrid of anarchy and democracy or something. Or some are calling it communism. lol The mandatory democracy system was the cause of lack of interest too. It's not as exciting.

Also , I like this story/meme of LazorGator being a protector or a confidence builder.Or a general.
    Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

And Espeon is a beacon of light:

It's starting to get a good story in my opinion.
    We apparently used our Masterball this time on a Goldeen....omg
    Spoiler:

aAND WE JUST TRIED CATCHING SUICUNE RIGHT NOW AND FAILED I CAN'T.

pkmnmaster69

When will this day end?
    Years
    • Seen Oct 24, 2020
    This playthrough has gotten boring now. Just when they deposited Lasergatr and Pidgeot and were getting stomped by the Elite 4, things actually looked interesting, until Democracy kicked in. Now this game is pretty much being played, like a normal Let's Play walk though,except with Gold going though wrong directions every now and then.

Masterge77

Robot Mienshao
    Years
  • This playthrough has gotten boring now. Just when they deposited Lasergatr and Pidgeot and were getting stomped by the Elite 4, things actually looked interesting, until Democracy kicked in. Now this game is pretty much being played, like a normal Let's Play walk though,except with Gold going though wrong directions every now and then.

I agree with you, it's gotten boring anymore. The thing about the stream was that when TPP first started, it was something different from the normal play-throughs on Pokemon games on Youtube and such in which almost every play-through was a Nuzlocke or one of it's various spin-off trends, to the point where even play-throughs of ROM hacks had become Nuzlockes. TPP provided something different for once and it was enjoyable.

I loved all the memes it spawned such as the Helix Fossil Worship, The False Prophet Flareon, Ledges, and Anarchy vs. Democracy. It was fun and amazing, but after the Red play-through ended, things started to go downhill. The first change to the system with the Democracy timer was fine, but I felt like it stated to become less enjoyable, especially with an over-reliance on Laser Gator early on in the run, and with it they started to get through the game faster than they did with Red (granted G/S/C doesn't have as many puzzles or challenges as R/B/Y did, but that's just me), and I slowly began to lose interest, to the point where every time I checked several hours later, they were much further into the game than they were last time.

It wasn't until they changed the system to the new "communism" system as many are calling it and the fact that they used the Master Ball on a Goldeen that I gave up almost entirely and watched some of the Elite Four battles and I just felt uninterested. Last time I was on there were only 17,756 participants and I can tell people are getting bored, when there were about 65,000+ participants when they started on Crystal. I doubt they are even going to go further into Gen 3 if this keeps up...

Treecko

Years
  • Wow such negativity here.

It's back to the original anarchy/democracy if that will make it fun for some people....

I think people just skipped over these, but there's still memes/stories for gen 2. They're just not as crazy or over-the top as like "Helix Worshiping" .
    Spoiler:

And why it rely on memes to be interesting anyway? The fact that thousands are playing Pokemon again makes me still into it. It's how chaoticlly it's controlled that's fun.This sums up the second playthrough perfectly. We don't need gods to have fun with this. Just Pokemon now.
    Spoiler:

Though I agree with the rest. I don't think we're moving on to Gen 3 at this rate or if it does there won't be as many viewers. At least there will be a new fossil to consult.

We're failing the Elite Four again it seems and people kind of want to grind other members more.

Edit: More Twitch Gen 2 lore
    Spoiler:

See you just need to find it.

Last edited:

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • THEY DIDNT HEAL BEFORE LANCE AND MY BOYFRIEND JUST GOT UP AND LEFT HES SO MAD LMAO

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • Twitch Plays pokemon

I got to see them beat the E4! Took them a while once they got there, not helped by teleporting to New Bark Town from the league at least once, haha. It was pretty close too - I happened to switch it on midway through Koga, where their Espeon was sweeping. It then swept most of Bruno's team despite using Bite some times until it ran out of Psychic PP... and then it was a bit messy. KT the dragonair lost to Vileplume but Steelix took out Umbreon and Gengar, albeit falling to a Destiny Bond. Then the Pidgeot of the run beat the remaining of Karen's pokes, but took a beating (including a critical hit and missing with Fly...and Houndoom being healed with a Max Potion during Fly), so it had its HP in the red.

So the battle against lance was just down to Feraligatr in essense, who got thunder waved by a Dragonite. And Cut kept being used. :V But it tanked hits like a boss, until the last Pokémon, Aerodactyl. Feraligatr had 30-odd HP left. And Aerodactyl was the one thing that Pidgeot can't really hit, of course.

Feraligatr tanked a Hyper Beam with 6 HP left and OHKO'd with Icy Wind. :V

I like it when I have good timing and get to see stuff like that, haha.

As for the drop in viewers - well, no wonder. It's the second version, not the original phenomena which was brand new (and lasted over two weeks and had its fair share of frustrating parts - a day fighting a ledge? two days spinning in rocket hideout? Add crystal to that and no wonder viewers drop). And a lot of people would have only cared about the original run anyway. The social experiment was a success in beating an old Pokémon game, not everyone would care if it could be done again.

Not that thousands of viewers at any one time is anything to sniff at over the course of 9 days either. It's much less than 70,000 (and that wasn't the number all the time in the Red play either, let's not forget), but it's still rather substantial and indicative, at least to myself, that there's still quite the interest in this sort of play.

Last edited:

Treecko

Years
  • Ugggggh I miss us beat the Elite Four while sleeping. :/ Well good job everyone! And there's at least Kanto still to go.( I still hope people keep posting here cause this is pretty much my only place to discuss this and I'm still very much interested in it. )

The last battle with Lance sounds intense. I mean anytime I've won a battle with just barely any HP , it just surprises me. I usually try heal before then and wipe my opponent out with my next move. I'm so happy our Lazorgator took survived so many Hyper Beams and beat a Dragonite with 6 HP and Icy Wind. :D

We're currently sweeping the Vermillion Gym now so we've probably already beat the SS Aqua or skipped it over. I can get the whole viewer drop and the "sequel never as good as the original thing." but there's still some interesting stories from this (see my above post).My favorite part of Gen 2's story is how LazorGator "sworn to beat the gods who took Prince Omelette away and beat Red". I bet the viewers count will go up drastically when we get to Red.

Edit: I love the fact we have a hacked Steelix. I've always taught it was silly that you had to trade certain Pokemon to get them and you can't do that with ROMs without hacking. So sticking it to the man is cool in this case.

Edit 2; A gif of Twitch Crystal's story so far

Twitch Plays pokemon

Edit 3 We're about to face Red.THE SUSPENSE

Last edited:
    Years
  • Looks like the hacked team that Red was suppose to get turned out to be true. Red has the same team that was used for the TPP Red version. Zapdos is the leadoff Pokemon and made short work of Lazorgator and Brian.

Treecko

Years
  • Yeah we'll probably gonna take a few tries to beat Red cause his team is set to the same levels as the original red. So a level 81 Zapdos vs Feraligator. At least it knows Icy Wind to make it easier. Who knows we could have our first level 100 lol.

And it's been pretty much confirmed we're going on to Emerald.
    https://www.escapistmagazine.com/ne...mon-Interview-TPP-Will-Continue-on-to-Emerald

It will probably not be be huge at all, but we will see. I'm thinking gen 3 will be it for TPP though and then the streamer will call it quits.

Edit: Nevermind it's set up to the levels he had in the Twitch game Zapdos just happened to be at level 81. This will go quicker than I thought.

Last edited:
    Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Dec 11, 2023
    They just have to get past Zapdos and it's clear sailing. So ... whenever they manage to do that haha.

So they are doing Emerald? I might tune in again for it since maybe hopefully there will be more fun things coming out of it? Though I don't think anything it going to be able to beat the Red stream.

Treecko

Years
  • Lazorgator just needs to level up a bit more is all. I honestly better not miss the final battle with Red as it's happening. I swear I will cry if I will. I'm it will probably be on Youtube, but it's not the same as witnessing it in person as it happens.

Yeah I think lots of people will always prefer the original over the sequels. Red was definitely more interesting. This run has lots of good stories too, but they're just not as over the top as consulting fossils and such. Of course there's this whole "No gods. Only mons now." thing going around the TPP community for Gen 2. And Lazorgator is apperantly a "god killer" sworn to kill the gods who killed Prince Omelette haha.

Emerald should be more fun though given there's more to do and more fun stories can be made around it. I'm hoping it's more fun. I'm still into this trend obviously. (And I'd love if we pick Treecko. ) I hear the guy's changing the system a bit more so we'll see how that shakes things up.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • So wait, Emerald is confirmed? It's my favorite game, so I'll probably try to tune into that more. But I still think this thing has lost its charm. :(

Treecko

Years
  • If we really are, then I believe this will be a pain in our butts.
    Spoiler:

All of those ledge will be the death of us. If the reason why this has lost it's charm is cause there's not as much memes/stories as the originals, then clearly no one's seen my 5 billion posts on the stories for the Crystal run. But I'm hoping Emerald has more of those to make in more interesting.

Also, this is relevant. Some underground band performed a song in 2001 called "I Wasted My Master Ball On Freakin' Goldeen." And it pretty much predicted the future since Twitch wasted their Master Ball on a Goldeen in Crystal.

Spoiler:

Also they remastered the song just for TPP.
    Spoiler:

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
    Years
  • I'm tuning in to see the finale of this run but I'll be so much happier when they move on to Emerald and I'm so gonna watch that. I still maintain that viewership has decreased due to the fact that Johto is boring af.

Treecko

Years
  • It's now definitely confirmed Twitch Plays Pokemon Emerald is happening. This is on the stream.
    Twitch Plays pokemon

6 days and 20 hours until Emerald guys! It's good knowing we're getting more than a day break this time. That might help draw more publicly and get the online new outlets time to post articles on it. Probably meaning more viewers. And Democracy mode is disabled for now lo.

We're getting closer to beating Red. Lazorgator managed to beat four of Twitch Red's team. And it seems Twitch Red's team was buffed up to match the levels of in-game Red's team.
    Twitch Plays pokemon

It's probably gonna take longer than imagined.I hope we catch a new Pokemon to replace Ace the Raticate though.

Back