• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen ugly deleted threads

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
    Years
    • Seen Oct 3, 2016
    Trainer Rematches!

So while doing some pottering about around Route 117 today, I came upon a Triathlete by the breeder's that I had yet to battle. So I battled him. I eventually left the Route to heal.

I returned to the Route and, later while wandering in the grass, I found a new icon on the AreaNav, depicting a person tossing a PokéBall on his left. I tapped it and found out that people everywhere are ready to battle me again; I had already seen that you log every Trainer, but I had no clue of the purpose.

The natural question is whether they eventually rematch at higher levels like the Match Call did in R/S/E; so far, I've battled this Trainer's Doduo three times and it's always Level 18. If they do eventually improve, I'm tracking down every Trainer I've missed. Otherwise, am I right that there's really no point to it? Does EVERY Trainer eventually want a rematch? (You have to talk to them, they don't just walk up at this point.)

On the discussion side, since I'm making this a topic (didn't see it on page 1), what do you think of this little icon that appears on the map? Do you go around looking for the Trainers to rebattle, or do you just forage into new grounds instead of returning from whence you came? Do you only do it when you go looking for an Egg Move specimen (sneaking up on their tails) in that area? Do you go after every single match you can to get their money (especially the Rich Kids)?

Discuss. :)

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    They do get stronger, you just have to progress through the game more is all.

But tbh, I never cared much for Hoenn's Trainer's Eyes thing what ever it's called. You have to hike all over to re-battle them, and there's no Audino girls to fight. Kalos's Battle Chateau was much better imo.

Zeffy

g'day
    Years
    • Seen May 21, 2024
    I've noticed that not every trainer wants a rematch, only the ones that are registered in the trainer's eye thing. Some of them give items such as evolutionary stones after you've battled them a couple of times, actually.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    I was expecting the rematches to be available after beating Norman, like old times, but it turned out that the rematches happened after Roxanne. In the originals, I was obliged to do the rematches, so that was why I ran between the available routes to challenge everyone. That's also how my team got slightly over levelled just before Wattson.

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
    Years
    • Seen Oct 3, 2016
    I've noticed that not every trainer wants a rematch, only the ones that are registered in the trainer's eye thing. Some of them give items such as evolutionary stones after you've battled them a couple of times, actually.
    That's correct. You don't get notified which Trainers get registered in any way (unless you check the AreaNav after every battle), but the special items bit makes it very worthwhile to seek them out again. I have yet to actually find the place to buy even a Thunderstone to evolve my Surfing Pikachu (which seems to have horrid HP in my case, 82 at Lv.41 or so, but that might be me), and presume I just passed it since I didn't go in the department store yet. It also has a Battle Chateau kind of feeling in that you can walk right by and ignore them if you want to, but can talk to them and instantly you're in a battle, and it's like getting a Nugget afterwards but it's an evolutionary stone instead. I might just take a fully trained Pokémon to the soccer matches for the stones, however.

I was expecting the rematches to be available after beating Norman, like old times, but it turned out that the rematches happened after Roxanne. In the originals, I was obliged to do the rematches, so that was why I ran between the available routes to challenge everyone. That's also how my team got slightly over levelled just before Wattson.
    I like that they're optional. With sneaking up on Pokémon, if one happens to occur across a Trainer's field of vision, you are obliged to fight a forced rematch. After clearing the area, I like hunting down what I'm seeking without interruption (the exception being the kids who run around breaking chains everywhere). I do dislike Gym Leaders being unavailable yet since they show up in the Match Call, but I guess they want to rechallenge you only when you become the Champion. I presume then you can battle them as much as you want as they rematch like everyone else.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    I like that they're optional. With sneaking up on Pokémon, if one happens to occur across a Trainer's field of vision, you are obliged to fight a forced rematch. After clearing the area, I like hunting down what I'm seeking without interruption (the exception being the kids who run around breaking chains everywhere). I do dislike Gym Leaders being unavailable yet since they show up in the Match Call, but I guess they want to rechallenge you only when you become the Champion. I presume then you can battle them as much as you want as they rematch like everyone else.

Actually, if you beat a rematch trainer the first time, they won't get your attention again.

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
    Years
    • Seen Oct 3, 2016
    Actually, if you beat a rematch trainer the first time, they won't get your attention again.
    That was what I meant when I said "clearing the area". I'm making a point of going around and catching all the Pokémon now, and my next step is to make sure any Trainers I have NOT battled have their chance to run up to me. That way I can start seeking rematches later and get them to higher levels for experience boosting battles.

Years
    I have to say, the rematches are great to abuse if you want to get to a decent level or to grind something to catch up with the others like what I did. Pokefan Isabel with her Plusle/Minun duo actually gave a decently good chunk of EXP, same with Twins Amy & Liv who also use a Plusle and Minun. Teammates Anna & Meg on Route 117 also seem to apply, since for some reason double battle trainers in the game give a lot of EXP in one shot.

Both Lady Cindy and Rich Boy Winston are ones I've abused a lot as well since they pay out a huge amount of money when defeated. If you ever rematch those two definitely attach an Amulet Coin and you'll get a huge chunk of money from them.

It was done really well, but I agree with Zekrom that it wasn't as good as X/Y's Battle Chateau which had some trainers having Audino, while Hoenn had none of those trainers, plus the Chateau had loads of trainers in one place while here you had to look all around Hoenn which isn't as convenient.

Years
    But the good thing about the Trainers Eyes' here is that in addition to trainers having high level Pokémon, if you have Fly you can instantly fly to the routes that the trainers await you on, not to mention with the Battle Chateau the chances of the Audino girls appearing wasn't always ideal. Not helped by the fact that some of them only end up with Level 35/45 or even lower stuff there.

That aside, i've battled Ace Trainers Wilton and Brooke several times when it's come to getting EXP, as in the post-game they have five Pokémon and give big with the Lucky Egg and max Exp. Point Power. But before then I also mooched off of them a good chunk of times, and there was the Ninja Boy on Route 113 with the Weezings (although those were better suited to things with high Special Attack).

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
    Years
    I really like this feature, actually, because it shows that every trainer in the region is growing and progressing as much as you are. It's a nice little feature that I haven't used much yet but I like the idea of it! Plus, being able to locate and track them with the DexNav is nice. What I'm really disappointed about, though, is the lack of Gym leader rematches - I heard they're not present in ORAS.

TheSyren

Veteran Breeder
    Years
    i like it way better than the match call in emerald. i hated being called in the middle of a feebas hunt by some random trainer who wanted to see his doduo crushed by my blaziken again. it was frustrating. so whenever i started a new playthrough, i would purposefully go out of my way to avoid the trainers i knew would ask for my number.

Warspirit

be nice to nice ❤️
    Years
    I only use it for when I need to grind my lower leveled Pokemon up. Other than that I ignore the little icon because I'm still going to cream them anyway. So yes, I do like it. Beats grinding against wild Pokemon.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2022
    I think it works quite well and is even better than the Vs. Seeker as you can check on who is able to be rematched anywhere without having to travel to the actual route.

antemortem

rest after tomorrow
    Years
    I agree with the idea that not being able to rematch the Gym Leaders kind of sours the whole experience. That was a really huge part of Match Call for me in Emerald, and a really good way to level up Level 50-60s.

jombii

[FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium][SIZE=4][COLOR=#00b05
    Years
    Even from R/S/E, I like the Match Call feature. It adds a certain sense of continuity to the game as everything grows with you. If I could, I usually hike all over the region once again to rebattle everybody, usually before E4.

Years
    • Seen Feb 1, 2015
    I was playing around with this the other day and realized you can fly to the route the trainer is in that wants to battle. I clicked on a trainer that I *thought* was in the same route I was in (because I thought that's all that showed up) but instead it flew me to a new route where that trainer was so I could battle them. It definitely beats running everywhere to find a battle.

I haven't tried it since I actually beat the game though, will do that later and see if the levels of the trainers' pokemon are any higher. Hopefully they are, because that would be a great feature for higher level training/grinding.

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
    Years
    • Seen Oct 3, 2016
    I've been researching this further. Turns out if you ignore them they continue to upgrade, so the team will always be set by the latest Badge you have obtained. If you wait until the Hall of Fame entry, everyone's at maybe Lv.47 or higher, and some might wait until after the Delta Episode.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back