• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Unpopular Opinion: Im not a fan of remakes

yamibakura95

Shadow Gamer
Years
    • Seen Apr 11, 2022
    I feel like every game has it time during the period its released and pokemon games are super popular at the time of their release so they get plenty of attention.

Remakes feel like a safe bet for Game Freak. They know it worked before so they use the current generation as a template to build the remake on, appealing to nostalgia while also trying to appeal to new players.

But you know, i havea different perspective since im a 25. A younger person who doesnt know what RSE are will not find ORAS weird. But to me, it seems like its a vicious cycle for GF because after FRLG they had to go and remake every game they made. The only generation that didnt not receive a remake in it was the 5th.

And tbh the originals were fine to me as they were. RB had their issues but Yellow fixed some of them and GSC, RSE, DPP were solid games for the time they were released. Updating them with new generations kinda ruins their initial puprose which was to be the latest pokemon generation available. It also changes the battle mechanics since with new pokemon, the met changes too. You cant play HGSS without taking into consideration the gen 4 evolutions for example.

pkmin3033

I don't think that's necessarily an unpopular opinion. Remakes cost time and money, and that time and money could arguably be better spent on progressing the franchise. This could be said of Game Freak prior to BDSP especially, since they were developing every remake as well as every new game, and they can only do so much. Remakes are a fantastic way of improving on an old title that might feel dated - especially in comparison to modern titles - but at the same time they're held back by a need to adhere to the design of the original title, so very little "real" progress can really be made, and this is something you see in remakes in every franchise, not just Pokemon. There just isn't as much room for creativity in remakes as there is in a brand new title.

Speaking for myself though, I love remakes, because I despise what Pokemon has become post-Generation IV and I find that nostalgia is the only real value any of the titles past that generation have. Game Freak haven't evolved the franchise in any significant or positive way since Generation IV beyond the technical improvements you would expect to see in newer titles (e.g. things running smoother/faster on newer systems) and I welcome any effort to recapture the magic the franchise used to have for me, even if it is a re-tread. I might whine about nostalgia causing stagnation in the industry, but I'm as much a slave to it as anyone else, if only because it helps me to avoid acknowledging that I just don't see as much value in most video games as I used to, because I really have seen it all before.

yamibakura95

Shadow Gamer
    Years
    • Seen Apr 11, 2022
    I don't think that's necessarily an unpopular opinion. Remakes cost time and money, and that time and money could arguably be better spent on progressing the franchise. This could be said of Game Freak prior to BDSP especially, since they were developing every remake as well as every new game, and they can only do so much. Remakes are a fantastic way of improving on an old title that might feel dated - especially in comparison to modern titles - but at the same time they're held back by a need to adhere to the design of the original title, so very little "real" progress can really be made, and this is something you see in remakes in every franchise, not just Pokemon. There just isn't as much room for creativity in remakes as there is in a brand new title.

Speaking for myself though, I love remakes, because I despise what Pokemon has become post-Generation IV and I find that nostalgia is the only real value any of the titles past that generation have. Game Freak haven't evolved the franchise in any significant or positive way since Generation IV beyond the technical improvements you would expect to see in newer titles (e.g. things running smoother/faster on newer systems) and I welcome any effort to recapture the magic the franchise used to have for me, even if it is a re-tread. I might whine about nostalgia causing stagnation in the industry, but I'm as much a slave to it as anyone else, if only because it helps me to avoid acknowledging that I just don't see as much value in most video games as I used to, because I really have seen it all before.

tbh as far as technical improvements, i prefer Colloseum's graphics over post gen 7 ones. Somehow the pokmeon models feel 2d despite being 3d due to how rounded they are.

Gen 4 was great imho but i kinda agree on the improvement part. I feel like gen 4 fixed the huge physical/special split and made the games a lot more balanced but anything afterwards wasnt as impactful.

Duck

🦆 quack quack
    Years
    • he, they
    • Seen Feb 23, 2023
    Remakes feel like a safe bet for Game Freak. They know it worked before so they use the current generation as a template to build the remake on, appealing to nostalgia while also trying to appeal to new players.

I can't really deny that, nostalgia does sell.

But you know, i havea different perspective since im a 25. A younger person who doesnt know what RSE are will not find ORAS weird. But to me, it seems like its a vicious cycle for GF because after FRLG they had to go and remake every game they made. The only generation that didnt not receive a remake in it was the 5th.

I mean, to be fair at least some of those remakes weren't made completely due to cash grabs.

FRLG was made because Gen III broke compatibility with Gen I / II, and back then there wasn't a Virtual Console, so it was genuinely the only way to get a number of Pokémon in the national dex at the time, as well as to avoid a lot of Gen I and Gen II jank (which, trust me, I do a lot of playthrough of those gens and I can tell you without a shadow of a doubt that the newer generations play a lot smoother).

HGSS can be explained away with a similar reasoning, especially since the NDS switch means that a lot of Pokémon are locked out of your reach unless you buy a GBA game, which were probably already out of print by then (and the Pal Park sucks).

ORAS and BDSS are most likely cash grabs though.

And tbh the originals were fine to me as they were. RB had their issues but Yellow fixed some of them and GSC, RSE, DPP were solid games for the time they were released.

Yeah, so, here's the thing, they really didn't age very well. The movepools kinda suck, the lack of renewable / reobtainable TMs for the most part is annoying, among a number of other inconveniences.

Were they good games for their release date? Sure, are they good games now? Not really. They're still fun games if you want to do fast playthroughs or mess with glitches, and they're very good for hacks but the vanilla experience isn't particularly great anymore.

Updating them with new generations kinda ruins their initial puprose which was to be the latest pokemon generation available.

I mean, to a certain extent every game is made to be "the latest game of the franchise to be released" but, so what?

The franchise can evolve and revisiting early scenarios can be done well, as I think happened with FRLG, HGSS and ORAS.

Do I think we needed those games? No, but then again we don't need any game.

While introducing new games and regions and Pokémon is something that GF should do, I do think that reintroducing the older regions to a new playerbase is both financially smart and a good thing to do in general.

I don't necessarily agree with how the remakes are being done, or even with their frequency necessarily, but I do think that the remakes are a good thing, in moderation.

It also changes the battle mechanics since with new pokemon, the met changes too. You cant play HGSS without taking into consideration the gen 4 evolutions for example.

That's ... not really a bad thing?

For one, most mechanic changes (Physical / Special split, Abilities, Natures, etc.) are for the better in my opinion, and the new generation gimmicky things are usually barely there. For example, in HGSS you absolutely can avoid the Gen IV evolutions for the most part.

Location based evolutions (Magnezone, Probopass, Leafeon, Glaceon) are locked due to there simply not being there
    Item evolutions (Gliscor, Weavile) are locked to the Battle Frontier
    Trade item evolutions (Rhyperior, Electivire, Magmortar, Porygon-Z, Dusknoir) are locked to the post-game
    New stone evolutions (Togekiss, Honchkrow, Mismagius) are locked to the post-game

The only evolutions that aren't blocked are Lickilicky, Tangrowth, Ambipom, Yanmega and Mamoswine - and even then if you really care that much you can just press B or not learn their moves.

I wouldn't say that having 5 available extra evolutions (all on relatively unusual Pokémon) before the post-game is particularly immersion breaking.

A similar situation is ORAS in which there's a grand total of 4 trainers that can mega-evolve during the first campaign: the bosses, Steven, Wally and the rival.

FRLG has abilities everywhere, sure, but like I said before, that's not really a bad thing. It makes a lot of Pokémon more usable and introduces more strategy into the game, which is generally considered a good thing.

Years
  • the fact that this is an unpopular opinion makes me really sad. Let's be objective as much as we can: those remakes are not remakes and the graphics is not cool. Now, we are used to different kinds of remake and BD/SP didn't get the same treatment, indeed they seem spin-off games. I was so sad and angry when I watched the trailer because that wasn't what I expected, even in my more pessimistic views. Everyone was worried about having Let's go Sinnoh, but like we got a title which is even worse. Things like graphics go by personal taste and I am aware of that, but I think we could say they could have done it better anyway. What makes me angry is that they're selling those games full price like it's a new game but it is not. Personally, I have no reason to buy them unless nostalgia, but guess what? If those games are remasters, then I wuld just play pokemon platinum, which offers a deeper and more interesting experience. They are selling those games thanks to nostalgia and thanks to people who haven't played gen 4 yet.

yamibakura95

Shadow Gamer
    Years
    • Seen Apr 11, 2022
    the fact that this is an unpopular opinion makes me really sad. Let's be objective as much as we can: those remakes are not remakes and the graphics is not cool. Now, we are used to different kinds of remake and BD/SP didn't get the same treatment, indeed they seem spin-off games. I was so sad and angry when I watched the trailer because that wasn't what I expected, even in my more pessimistic views. Everyone was worried about having Let's go Sinnoh, but like we got a title which is even worse. Things like graphics go by personal taste and I am aware of that, but I think we could say they could have done it better anyway. What makes me angry is that they're selling those games full price like it's a new game but it is not. Personally, I have no reason to buy them unless nostalgia, but guess what? If those games are remasters, then I wuld just play pokemon platinum, which offers a deeper and more interesting experience. They are selling those games thanks to nostalgia and thanks to people who haven't played gen 4 yet.

what do you mean "the graphics arent cool"?

Duck

🦆 quack quack
    Years
    • he, they
    • Seen Feb 23, 2023
    the fact that this is an unpopular opinion makes me really sad. Let's be objective as much as we can: those remakes are not remakes and the graphics is not cool. Now, we are used to different kinds of remake and BD/SP didn't get the same treatment, indeed they seem spin-off games. I was so sad and angry when I watched the trailer because that wasn't what I expected, even in my more pessimistic views. Everyone was worried about having Let's go Sinnoh, but like we got a title which is even worse. Things like graphics go by personal taste and I am aware of that, but I think we could say they could have done it better anyway. What makes me angry is that they're selling those games full price like it's a new game but it is not. Personally, I have no reason to buy them unless nostalgia, but guess what? If those games are remasters, then I wuld just play pokemon platinum, which offers a deeper and more interesting experience. They are selling those games thanks to nostalgia and thanks to people who haven't played gen 4 yet.

I think that this is an unpopular opinion because they're talking about remakes as a whole, not only BD/SP.

In fact, I'd say that "BD/SP are bad / too expensive / whatever" is an extremely popular opinion. Or at least vocal enough that it gives the appearance of being popular.

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
    Years
  • Although I'm not a huge fan of the direction GF is taking with Diamond/Pearl remakes, at least it reintroduces Gen 4 to new fans who may not know much about Pokemon than us veterans. Gen 7 may be the first generation they got into and they may want to work their way back without having to throw some extra money on a retro console to play the previous games. I know GF is trying to give these games an updated look and bring veteran fans back into the groove while introducing the generation to newer fans.

So, I get it. Not many people are on board with remakes, but at least they are brought to a newer generation of fans.

Years
    • Seen Jul 29, 2021
    OrAs was the only remakes (so far) that made me feel like there wasn't a point to it. There is a huge jump between Yellow and LgFr and Crystal and HgSs. Oras has the 3D jump, but for the worse, and the addition of the Fairy-type. It was simply a more polished version of the game.

Years
  • In fact, I'd say that "BD/SP are bad / too expensive / whatever" is an extremely popular opinion. Or at least vocal enough that it gives the appearance of being popular.

Yeah, in the vocal community this is probably a popular opinion. I've seen an endless number of videos talking about why BDSP are poor and how they could do better. I don't dislike them much personally, but like a lot of others have voiced, do wish they'd adjust the lighting and blur a bit to (imo) improve on the quality. But I guess this style is simpler and not too stylistic, which keeps it closer to the original chibi style. Still, it's a different company putting most of the work into it, so we'll see if we get more changes later on.

Not sure how I feel about remakes. Probably more positive than you, OP, since they introduced some of my favorite games (HGSS and ORAS, among others). What I don't like much though are third versions, since those are very close to their predecessors and they're already two nearly identical games. I prefer playing through something new or even DLC content, rather than a third version retailing for the same price as a brand new AAA game.

yamibakura95

Shadow Gamer
    Years
    • Seen Apr 11, 2022
    Although I'm not a huge fan of the direction GF is taking with Diamond/Pearl remakes, at least it reintroduces Gen 4 to new fans who may not know much about Pokemon than us veterans. Gen 7 may be the first generation they got into and they may want to work their way back without having to throw some extra money on a retro console to play the previous games. I know GF is trying to give these games an updated look and bring veteran fans back into the groove while introducing the generation to newer fans.

So, I get it. Not many people are on board with remakes, but at least they are brought to a newer generation of fans.

it just that i have ascociated every gen with something trademark.

gen 1: the first defining gen

gen 2: dark and steel types, special split

gen 3: natures and abilities

gen 4: wifi support

Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    I felt that frlg and hgss were needed as the originals were so outdated and unable to connect to the newer generations. I couldn't get myself to even play the original rby or gsc anymore. I can still play rse today and have just as much fun as before, same as dppt. The only reason I could think of arguing the oras remake was because rse occured before the physical/special split. Even so it wasn't totally necessary in my eyes. While I can say I'm happy for a dppt remake I honestly don't think those games need one at all. At least not at this point in time.

Years
  • aside from fr/lg, i've had fun with pretty much every remake that came out. can't complain much because game freak usually introduces something that makes that particular remake worthwhile. for hgss, it was getting back the battle tower/pokeathlon. for oras, it was soaring, and i actually loved flying above hoenn! can't wait to see what dppt introduces, although im tempering my expectations in case the answer is "not much at all" lol...

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
  • I feel like, FR/LG and HG/SS remakes were needed since, those games had battery saves, and by the time the remakes came out, I'm sure they were all gone by then. I do feel though that most of the remakes after that aren't necessary anymore. You can still play R/S/E without having too many problems, and don't even get me started on LGPE. I don't dislike the remakes, though, just nowadays feel they're no longer necessary.

Years
  • I may be a lil' bit biased for remakes since those really solidified my "fanhood" of Pokemon.

I did play the OGs Gen 1 & 2 but blurry memories are all I have since I played 'em when I was really small. I did recall kanto & johto, and all the pokemon. It also helped that I watched the anime a great deal :p

FR/LG was sort of nostalgic since I played those when I was kinda at the age where we're aware of things but at the same time wowed me since I watch the anime and I used to play gen 1. same for HGSS.

I remember religiously playing FR. never left it, alongside Pokemon Emerald. played them lots and lots. I got more and more invested into the franchise because of these games.

I do agree that, at times, remakes are becoming stale. I don't like LGPE but at the same time, we have to remember that they are there because of the reason why FR/LG was there in the first place. It re-introduced the world of Pokemon to the current kids, like how I got "invested" into the franchise. I appreciate remakes overall to be honest. But I guess bias is partly talking.

I don't mind Gamefreak producing and funding remakes as long as it does not hinder development for new titles. Of course, remakes can also be extra interesting by adding more content.

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    What I think about remakes is that they get progressively less and less "necessary". Of course it's subjective, but I personally consider that a remake is needed when the original game is seriously lacking fundamental features.

-Gen 3 didn't have the P/S split, which is a must for me and many other players, I just can't go back to a Pokémon game without that. So I welcomed the RS remakes.
    -Gen 2, on top lacking P/S split, didn't even have Abilities, so another remake I welcomed.
    -Gen 1, well, no P/S split, no Abilities, no Sp. Attack / Sp. Def split, no equiped Items, lots of bugs in regards to moves not working as intended, etc. Man, I just can't even touch Gen 1 with a stick anymore.

But when it comes to Gen 4, I don't think like it's missing anything essential. I mean, sure I miss a lot of newer moves and abilities, and the Fairy type, but I can still play and have fun with Gen 4 as it is (I mean Platinum specifically, and of course in an emulator with the 60 fps unlock, because the original game speed is just unbearable). If I ever get a Switch I'll play the remakes, but it's not something I'm wishing for desperately.

Years
  • D: What did you not like about those? They were amazing imo!

i think the whole "catching x pokemon to get useful items (not only that, but to even get access to the Sevii Islands in the first place)" is kinda what put me off. i get fr/lg puts extra emphasis on the whole "gotta catch 'em all" thing (or at least, as many as the game tells you to), but i just didn't care for wasting my time catching a bunch of fodder for items and access to end-game areas to later release them. u_u

the Sevii Islands themselves though were pretty cool and i think they were a highlight of the games for me! but getting there is kind of annoying...

Back