• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

UNPOPULAR OPINIONS

Years
  • This is true. I know how much commercial Top 40-centric radio focuses much more on the "annoying and uninspired" songs by those mainstream artists as opposed to music of theirs that had at least a trickle of quality.

Yes sadly, top 40 music is mostly about marketing celebrities rather than celebrating the art and creativity of music.

maccrash

foggy notion
    Years
  • like, I understand disliking top 40 music, but really, pick your battles. it's hurting nobody, and you'll find that if you're in public and like, iunno, Blank Space comes on (to go with the trend of this thread) and you mope about it instead of (at the very least) just accepting it, then you're gonna have a not great time and you're gonna drag your own mood down and the mood of the people around you. this is fact. I used to be one of those folks who was like POP MUSIC SUCKS NOWADAYS AND WHY THE HELL..... but now I've just realized you have to cut loose and have some fun every now and then and if you absolutely hate every modern pop song in every context then what is that accomplishing? (it being mindless: I can concede that but like that's not necessarily a bad thing)

Sir Codin

You don't need pop music to cut loose and have fun. That's why God gave us alcohol.

Her

Years
    • Seen May 15, 2024
    Well, at least you admit it's mindless.

modern pop music certainly is engineered towards the party scene but it gets such irrational hate at times
    not to mention the alarming amount of misogyny from the 'I listen to very loud scratchy metal or a white guy playing faux-deep lyrics on a guitar therefore I am above all things fun' crowd

it's just like
    chill

Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jun 29, 2019
    Dawg, I understand that these are "opinions" but like, what man. as I've said before (and I will continue saying for the rest of my living days on this earth) calling an entire genre of music something as Churlish as "cancerous" is, in fact, off-base and silly. you coulda just said "man, I don't like punk music. in fact I HATE punk music" but alas you decided to imply that it's actually a genre that saps the life out of... whatever the hell you're implying it's sapping the life out of. sorry. sorry. sorry. I'd address your "Nirvana's the worst band ever" thing but that'd be like that "old man yells at cloud" Simpsons headline personified, so I'm not gonna do that.

I could reply to everything here in a detailed and long winded manner that this forum is used to but for comedy's sake, I'm just going to say that that's just your opinion man. To answer your question in a serious manner though, punk music saps the life out of any enjoyable feeling I end up having for the day as soon as that type of music hits my ears. Apologies for not being clearer there but now you know.

Yay for personal preferences btw.

maccrash

foggy notion
    Years
  • I could reply to everything here in a detailed and long winded manner that this forum is used to but for comedy's sake, I'm just going to say that that's just your opinion man. To answer your question in a serious manner though, punk music saps the life out of any enjoyable feeling I end up having for the day as soon as that type of music hits my ears. Apologies for not being clearer there but now you know.

Yay for personal preferences btw.
    I get you man. it's weird, I just think the total opposite about most (good) punk. fills me with energy, personally, but different strokes for different folks.

the 'I listen to very loud scratchy metal or a white guy playing faux-deep lyrics on a guitar therefore I am above all things fun' crowd
    who says you can't like all three of these things (;

Sir Codin

modern pop music certainly is engineered towards the party scene but it gets such irrational hate at times
    not to mention the alarming amount of misogyny from the 'I listen to very loud scratchy metal or a white guy playing faux-deep lyrics on a guitar therefore I am above all things fun' crowd

it's just like
    chill
    No.

And personally I'll take that crowd over the pop crowd. Including the dance crowd. Dancing sucks. It makes me envy cripples.

Last edited:

Jayce

x-kid
    Years
  • Broad City >>>>>> Workaholics, though I love them both so much.
    hell yeah. I don't see enough Broad City love.

Anyway:

• I actually think Miley Cyrus is quite talented, she just performs (in my opinion) subpar songs. I was really impressed with her performance of "Jolene" (here).
    • Maybe this isn't so unpopular, but I mainly see people shit talking them (including in this thread) so I'll say it here anyway: Green Day is my favorite band.
    • I don't particularly enjoy Bradley Cooper's acting. Like I don't have anything against him and he's been in some good movies but I'm just tired of seeing him?
    • In response to the pop music discussion going on in here: 2014 was a great year for pop music. And that's not usually my thing.

That's all I got. eh.

El Héroe Oscuro

IG: elheroeoscuro
    Years
  • this isn't unpopular in Real Life but I think Taylor Swift is awesome

UNPOPULAR OPINIONS

Her music is terrible lol.

Charlie Brown

[font=lato]coolcoolcool[/font]
    Years
  • Clearly an unpopular opinion here but I think music taste is subjective and instead of putting so much energy into hating things (eg pop music) people should understand that different people have different tastes and that doesn't mean that anyone is superior based on their tastes. Just like with movies for example, some people prefer rom coms, others like action movies. Some like artsy movies, others prefer more standard Hollywood blockbusters. Just because something exists doesn't mean that it needs to please everyone, and just because it doesn't please you, doesn't mean that it's objectively bad.

Winter

[color=#bae5fc][font="Georgia"]KAMISATO ART: SOUME
    Years
  • I'm pretty sure this is an unpopular opinion or way of thinking but I don't like the idea of comparing artists together regardless of them being in the same genre, generation, etc. I know that I hate to be compared to someone else and so I don't do the same. If you think Artist A is better than B in doing something like dancing for example, that's fine for having an opinion but I don't think anyone has a right to use such a comparison (that is also unfair because that's like comparing apples to oranges. Are you going to put down the orange for not being red enough?) to put down someone or use it an excuse to attack them personally. There are other better and more mature and constructive ways to go about criticizing someone than merely saying "you're bad because XYZ does it better."

Rest

Showstealer Pro: Trial Version
    Years
  • Music and film-related stuff.

• A lot of people seemed to hate on the fact that The Streets' Original Pirate Material was The Guardian's choice for the greatest album of the decade ('00-'09) in their list, notably above albums like Kid A, Funeral and Untrue. Personally, I have no qualms with it. It's, frankly speaking, a stroke of lyrical genius, the beats are eccentric yet so fitting, and it's one of the best works of the UK garage genre without a doubt. If I had to make a similar best-of list, I'd put it above Radiohead's Kid A any day as well.
    • Green Day recorded one of my favorite albums of the previous decade in American Idiot.
    • Birdman and Whiplash are good films but they aren't as incredible as people tout them to be.
    • Gone Girl is incredibly underrated.
    • I loved Into the Woods.
    • Captain America: The Winter Soldier > Guardians of the Galaxy any day.
    • Paul Thomas Anderson's best film thus far ain't There Will Be Blood or The Master. It's Boogie Nights.
    • The common notion is that Aphex Twin's Syro was the best electronic album of 2014. It really, really wasn't.
    • I will never vibe with Donald Glover as a rapper like most people can. I love the guy but I can't not see him as anyone else but Troy Barnes. I've listened to Because the Internet once and I kept imagining Troy the Community character rapping and it was very distracting.
    • Daft Punk's Random Access Memories may be well-made but it's bland as all shit and doesn't deserve all of its praises.
    • People seem to like it but Panda Bear's new album PBMTGR is a huge mess.
    • There were a lot of emo LPs that were lauded last year but personally, 2014 was a barebones year for emo I thought. Some of my favorite emo acts like Joyce Manor and Empire! Empire! put out really disappointing follow-ups to their previous albums, not to mention many of the debut LPs from newer acts. Only Two Knights, The Hotelier and Human Hands came close to scratching my genre itch.
    • I like Taylor Swift's music quite a bit (though looking through this thread, it's no longer an unpopular opinion lol).

Last edited:
    Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Online now
    - Hype in every form, which also includes people who get on the hype train, only to complain afterwards, because the thing they hyped so much didn't become what they wanted it to be. Those people should really be ashamed of themselves...
    - the term "Poketuber"; like reall: do you feel so special for making Pokemon related content, that you have to call yourself that? I've never heard of Zeldatubers, Minecrafttubers, Final Fantasy-tubers and whatever else is popular. You're just a Youtuber, who does Pokemon related content and nothing more.
    - modern stuff is just so generic, every song's the same, every game plays like every other game from the same genre and in order to make new stuff, people recycle older things to the point where those get generic, too

Harmonie

Winds ღ
    Years
  • I was literally just talking about this the other day. ...To myself, but still. You know how you can tell what decade music is from for the most part? There are certain styles and trends that go on through the decade. 80's music, however, isn't just a subtle "oh it's an 80's song" kind of thing. It's like in your face here I am synthesizer cheesy lyrics high pitched childlike sounds. 80's music SCREAMS that it's from the 80's. It wants you to know and it doesn't want you to forget.

My sister loves the 80's overall and is always popping in some Cindy Lauper CDs in her car and they sound so atrocious. Not all music from the 80's is terrible, but there's a lot that stands out, shows its age (which is worse because that takes away from making it a timeless song), and just isn't good.

Yeah... The 80s had such a definitive style of pop/rock, and it's not a kind of pop I like at all. From the awful drum machines, the massive over-use of cheesy synthesizers, to that particular way they distorted the sound of the electric guitar/bass, it all just... Ew. Like how did we go from the 70s to that?

Other decades you put together for a radio station and they work just fine (like the 60s/70s), but then throw in the 80s and it sticks out like a sore thumb. Literally, because it's painful. lol. It's such an awkward decade. Usually I could forgive it and laugh at the cheesiness, but not as of late, when every Oldies station I find to listen to starts pushing the 80s into their mix, or when at work, the person who has control over the radio plays the same two 80s playlists (both including some of the same awful songs such as "We Built This City on Rock and Roll") multiple times a shift, I can no longer just laugh.

Of course, there's good music in the 80s, and there's bad music in the 60s/70s... But I generally find 60s/70s hits much less grating.

Chicago demonstrates all too perfectly the difference, too:

70s:

80s (*gags*):

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Feb 24, 2019

it's just like
    chill

So listening to singers that happen to be white makes me a misogynist?

You sound like a rational person. I bet you'd be fun to be around.

Last edited:

Her

Years
    • Seen May 15, 2024
    So listening to singers that happen to be white makes me a misogynist?

You sound like a rational person.

honey I wasn't saying that
    I was making a point of how there's often a high amount of misogyny from people in the camps I was exaggerating for comedic effect. If I were to make a point with no comedic intent whatsoever, I would say that many people tend to glorify the oh-so-deep white man on a guitar while denigrating everything and anything pop girls have to offer, because they see everything they produce as vapid or insipid while lifting up the often quite average guitar guy. If I were to make a point without any personal input whatsoever, I would state that the heavy metal community is known for the high levels of misogyny from many in the community.
    I wasn't saying that everyone in these camps are explicitly sexist, but simply stating that there are higher percentages of members who are sexist/misogynistic compared to other music communities.

Back