• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

US Immigration Reform

Years
I've been impatiently waiting for ACLU to make good on their promises and actually get around to suing him (especially after the whole silencing dilemma), but so far they just keep posting on their Facebook page, and it's getting quite infuriating. I feel like no one in this country except some parts of the press are really holding him accountable for his actions, and they're getting shat on because the entire administration is literally attempting to re-write reality so that they can do no wrong.

They're doing it.
https://twitter.com/DavidColeACLU/status/825337803416416256
https://www.aclu.org/legal-document...int-declaratory-and-injunctive-reliefpetition

Years
whoa... didn't see the thread title change, I was wondering if my thread was gone lol.

anyways, since this is no longer just a thread for a singular event, I'll add more news pertaining to this issue, sort of like a mega thread if no-one here minds.

EDIT - added: Trump signs executive orders to build the wall in Mexico and defund sanctuary cities

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 43
  • U.K.
  • Seen Mar 27, 2017
i can't believe it's 2017 and we are still so divided. This immigration policy has just made things worst. I guarantee more anti western feeling now and homegrown attacks...it's a sad day for everyone!

Years
  • Age 43
  • U.K.
  • Seen Mar 27, 2017
Finally, a judge has stepped in to intervene regarding trumps deportation order on refugees....about time!

Raffy98

[color=#2d9bce][b][span="font-family: 'century got
Years
While you mention Western Europe, I'll add that Trump is not making the US "Great". He's making it feel like Italy under Mussolini or Spain under Franco. If the Republicans succeed at putting enough barriers to voters and effectively neutering elections (see: North Carolina), then it will be literally impossible to distinguish them.

I really wanted to tell you that the image you posted is fascinating and it should be an example to all of us, it's wonderful... I really mean it.
Also, cannot agree more with these words, in Italy we always let in people from everywhere (especially from Lampedusa).
There are a lot of things that are wrong here but I feel very proud of my country and Europe about this, helping these people in my opinion should be a no-brainer to everyone, but apparently it isn't.
Building barriers in front of these people just shows how ruthless the human race can be.
About the mention you did on Mussolini, the only thing I can say is that I'm not surprised that after he was laid down, Italy got a new constitution in 1948 to prevent what happened during his dictatorship, and it makes me mad that some people that don't know about this period of the History would go back, saying that Italy was better when Mussolini was in charge. -_-

They're doing it.
Finally, a judge has stepped in to intervene regarding trumps deportation order on refugees....about time!

Great! I'm glad someone is taking action on this.
If he has decided to run for president, than he should face the problems of the USA and not just walk by them and pass over or pretending that they don't exist (see Global warming).

Years
Hearing stories like this is so sad, because I feel people shouldn't be shunted out of a country solely because of where they came from. I have been anti-Trump ever since that election campaign and seeing him already show the bad things he promised has made me feel grim about America's future.

Trump is a xenophobe and a racist, and shall be frowned down for shunning out innocent people from these Muslim countries.

Arsenic

[div=font-size: 18px; font-family: 'Kaushan script
Years
Congratulations Trump administration. I am completely ashamed of being from this country now. I've even taken down my flag. Students, workers, dual-citizens kicked out of the country they inhabited because of some crazy old man who probably hasn't even read the Geneva convention (Something I believe everyone should read. I have) and is the figureboy of xenophobic, racist people in America and hatred in itself. And then the wall... dear god...

Attn people: Nationalism and Isolationism have never led to anything good. It deeply concerns me that so many countries are going back to this ideology. At least world war 3 should quickly put us out of our misery!

Years
It's not a Muslim ban *sigh*
Rudy Giuliani: "I'll tell you the whole history of it. So when [Trump] first announced it, he said, 'Muslim ban.' He called me up. He said, 'Put a commission together. Show me the right way to do it legally.' "

Spoiler:

The intent was always to make a Muslim ban.

Years
Rudy Giuliani: "I'll tell you the whole history of it. So when [Trump] first announced it, he said, 'Muslim ban.' He called me up. He said, 'Put a commission together. Show me the right way to do it legally.' "

Spoiler:

The intent was always to make a Muslim ban.
Regardless of whether or not the intent, the execution and practice put in place equate less of a ban than when Obama had halted Iranians and Iraqis from entering the country sometime during 2011 for a longer period of time than this proposes. Now, I need not remind you that the globes countries with the greatest population of Muslims. Indonesia, Pakistan, India, Bangladesh and Nigeria. All of which contain a greater number of Muslims than the countries proposed to block.

The ban targets countries that the Obama Administration has labeled as 'terrorist hotbeds'. Politifact does a nice job by cookie cutting the biggest issue people have with the temporary ban. This isn't something from the far left field that wasn't foreseeable. Obama has used this power multiple times to target the same exact countries and not a peep was to be heard when his ban extended from six months to a year.

Calling it a 'Muslim ban' is not correct. It does not ban all Muslims, and if that was the goal then the countries I mentioned would have been at the top of the list.

Technically it isn't. It's just a law that exists specifically to target Islamic immigrants. That's really not much better.
The writ also explains this very well. If you've read it, then you'll know perhaps why. It also doesn't target Pakistan, by the way, so claiming 'Islam ban' isn't true either. The order explains this well in detail regarding Islam. No honor killers, rapists, terrorists, wife beaters or general badguys. Still keeping in mind that the previous administration were the ones to label these countries.

I'm beginning to think that people are diving in without actually thinking at this point. "Trump says so? Better go the opposite way." seems to be the norm in several cases on an increasing frequency.

This is not an Islam ban and this is not a Muslim ban. It lasts for 90 days and until then it will be reviewed. This bans 50,000 refugees (all of which can fit well in the 300,000 air conditioned tents Saudi Arabia has up and running) from a country where we're experiencing the heaviest terrorist activity. Taking in 50,000 people has never been easy and in the past it has failed miserably resulting in a sky rocket of criminal activity and lack of resources. It explains that in order to properly screen these people, we need adequate resources to do so. Unless anyone here wants us to keep 50,000 people in a camp waiting for screening then I suggest waiting a few months and seeing where this goes. No good can come from letting in that many people at one time and claiming that there won't be active terrorists trying to sneak in with them is a great way to shoot yourself in the foot. ISIS has formally stated that they'll do just that.

TL;DR Not a Muslim ban, not an Islam ban because Pakistan, Indonesia and Bangladesh.

Has anyone here actually read it? It doesn't sound too unreasonable.
Spoiler:

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 43
  • U.K.
  • Seen Mar 27, 2017
Banning Trump from the UK

Do people think trump should be banned from entering the UK? I personally think, that we need to stand up for what is right and what trump has done with the ban on Muslim countries is simply not right. I'm proud that the UK stands for equality and inclusion and by not allowing trump to enter will show we still know our right from wrong!

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen today
Do people think trump should be banned from entering the UK? I personally think, that we need to stand up for what is right and what trump has done with the ban on Muslim countries is simply not right. I'm proud that the UK stands for equality and inclusion and by not allowing trump to enter will show we still know our right from wrong!
gonna move this into the Trump immigration thread, as this could fit in there

I'm not sure if it's really possible or even a good idea, diplomatically speaking, to bar a leader of a country from entering another country. One can still condemn the man's actions and words without not letting him the country anyway.

Years
In my opinion this past election had 2 idiots, I didn't trust either candidate. Though I flat out am going to say I have not trusted the US government since high school, since I highly doubt they even care about it's citizens. Each and every year our government continues to cut our military. This continues my distrust of the government.

Years
Regardless of whether or not the intent, the execution and practice put in place equate less of a ban than when Obama had halted Iranians and Iraqis from entering the country sometime during 2011 for a longer period of time than this proposes. Now, I need not remind you that the globes countries with the greatest population of Muslims. Indonesia, Pakistan, India, Bangladesh and Nigeria. All of which contain a greater number of Muslims than the countries proposed to block.

The ban targets countries that the Obama Administration has labeled as 'terrorist hotbeds'. Politifact does a nice job by cookie cutting the biggest issue people have with the temporary ban. This isn't something from the far left field that wasn't foreseeable. Obama has used this power multiple times to target the same exact countries and not a peep was to be heard when his ban extended from six months to a year.

Calling it a 'Muslim ban' is not correct. It does not ban all Muslims, and if that was the goal then the countries I mentioned would have been at the top of the list.

The writ also explains this very well. If you've read it, then you'll know perhaps why. It also doesn't target Pakistan, by the way, so claiming 'Islam ban' isn't true either. The order explains this well in detail regarding Islam. No honor killers, rapists, terrorists, wife beaters or general badguys. Still keeping in mind that the previous administration were the ones to label these countries.

I'm beginning to think that people are diving in without actually thinking at this point. "Trump says so? Better go the opposite way." seems to be the norm in several cases on an increasing frequency.

This is not an Islam ban and this is not a Muslim ban. It lasts for 90 days and until then it will be reviewed. This bans 50,000 refugees (all of which can fit well in the 300,000 air conditioned tents Saudi Arabia has up and running) from a country where we're experiencing the heaviest terrorist activity. Taking in 50,000 people has never been easy and in the past it has failed miserably resulting in a sky rocket of criminal activity and lack of resources. It explains that in order to properly screen these people, we need adequate resources to do so. Unless anyone here wants us to keep 50,000 people in a camp waiting for screening then I suggest waiting a few months and seeing where this goes. No good can come from letting in that many people at one time and claiming that there won't be active terrorists trying to sneak in with them is a great way to shoot yourself in the foot. ISIS has formally stated that they'll do just that.

TL;DR Not a Muslim ban, not an Islam ban because Pakistan, Indonesia and Bangladesh.

Has anyone here actually read it? It doesn't sound too unreasonable.
Spoiler:

Weird how that still reads like a thinly veiled attempt to do exactly what I just said.

Years
Weird how that still reads like a thinly veiled attempt to do exactly what I just said.
By not including the top five countries in the world in this list, four of which Islam is the primary religion by a 80%+ ratio, thereby invalidates the argument of 'Muslim ban' or 'Islam ban'. The main goal, perhaps, could also be seen to bar criminals in their respective countries and peoples with violent tendencies from entering the country. Which, as far as I'm concerned, not a bad thing. This is temporary and it isn't permanent yet people assume that it is.

This is just a long 'time out' until we can figure out how to deal with these refugees. Of which Germany and the UK have been reporting issues involving said refugees. I'm not going to pretend it doesn't happen. That viewpoint is naive. Until we can come up with a better plan than 'house them all in a facility until we figure out who they are' or 'Let them all in regardless' then this is probably one of the better choices. I assure you that housing all the refugees and immigrants in camps would be far worse than telling them to stay where they are. Heck, why not try for one of Saudi Arabia's 300,000 unoccupied air conditioned tents? They're closer by far in travel time.

SirBoglor

[b][I][FONT=Satisfy]It's over, isn't it?[/FONT][/I
Years
I'm waiting for the legal challenges to see how the courts respond to all this and how Trump et al will respond if they don't get what they want from the courts. I suspect there will be cries of "Fake judges!" or something similarly outlandish if any court decides that this is an overreach or tries to limit the scope or scale.

I've been thinking the same thing. He'll undoubtedly cry crooked judge/Obama's judge/etc. every time that he is denied what he wants by one. It puts federal judges in a dangerous position, since any judge that denies his wishes will undoubtedly be threatened by a myriad of Trump's supporters.

Years

Alternative theory: The Middle East, which is most widely associated with Muslims, is being targeted by people who don't actually know very much about the religion. That would explain why there's been a halt to immigration from middle eastern countries and not Asian ones even though there's really not that big a difference in the number of immigrants from either even though plenty of Islamic extremists have originated from Pakistan, Bangladesh etc. In fact, didn't they find Bin Laden hiding out in Pakistan?

OEWbbHq.png

Of course, by far most of the immigrants to the US from Islamic countries are from Iran with Iraq also being right up there. Syria appears surprisingly low but this was from before the refugee crisis really hit full swing and it was already steadily growing, So that's probably in the top five now at a guess.

Also, it's not permanent for all countries sure. From my understanding though, at least Syria has had immigration frozen indefinitely. I'm also sure that Rudy Giuliani's statements openly admitting Trump cited it as a "Muslim ban" have no basis in fact (note the sarcasm).

I'm also sure that there's absolutely no persecution against Islamic immigrants in play even though this is cited as an act to protect American's from violent terrorist attacks even though there has never been a fatal attack by refugees from any of the countries hit by the ban in US history. Hell, for memory I don't think any of those were even involved in 9/11 which is every Islamophobe's favourite thing to cite.

You want further proof that this has more to do with persecuting Muslims than it does protecting Americans? There are other countries that Trump isn't hitting that do have fatalities and major terrorist attacks to their names. The only difference is that Trump is doing business there so he can't do anything to hinder that. Then there's all those actual dangerous, fatal (terrorist attacks) committed by non-Muslim American citizens that have families that have been in the country for years that Trump has exactly no plans for dealing with. If you think this isn't motivated by blind hatred and xenophobia you're kidding yourself.

Years

What Obama did there should not have been allowed either. Yes, people are paying more attention to this one because it's come from Trump (or more likely Bannon or some other puppeteer), but the Trump team has also pushed it further and made a big show of it so getting more attention is their fault for flaunting it.

It is not a complete Muslim ban, but it's a partial one. The intention and the effect is one of banning Muslims disproportionately.

It also goes against the Immigration Act of 1965.
"No person shall receive any preference of priority or be discriminated against in the issuance of an immigrant visa because of his race, sex, nationality, place of birth, or place of residence, except as specifically provided in section 101 (a) (27), section 201 (b), and in section 203"
Those sections deal with giving extra priority to family members.

Raffy98

[color=#2d9bce][b][span="font-family: 'century got
Years
Just heard it on the news and I couldn't believe it:
Trump has fired the US Attorney General Sally Yates because she refused to defend the order banning Muslim people from entering the USA.

You can find The Guardian's article on the topic here.

Back