• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Chit-Chat: Welcome to the Strategies & Movesets forum for Sun & Moon!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anti

return of the king
    Years
    you are describing the metagame in far too deterministic a manner. the aegislash/sableye paragraph is assuming way too much--adding aeg to the meta will definitely change it, and whether it helps or hurts stall would need to be seen. all of this stuff about "well aeg's presence makes a sab ban acceptable" is intensely hypothetical and is not hashed out nearly enough, like one giant non-sequitur. (why would an aeg drop give stall more "wiggle room" for stall to innovate, for example? i am completely unconvinced of this.) it's pretty difficult to predict the impact on the metagame that inviting such a centralizing force back into the meta would have.

the pivoting bit is more intriguing in that i think you're describing a real problem in the meta, except land-t isn't the only mon that shows this. lati@s combined is/are super common as well. keldeo and xy azumarill were less extreme versions of this. however, aegislash just adds another very potent threat to check--it's not exactly easy to switch into. i'm not convinced that it would alleviate team-building pressures when i found that aeg often exacerbated them back in the aeg meta. i'm not against a retest or anything (the vote was close for a reason) but the aeg metagame was not without its problems. and perhaps chief among them was aegislash itself.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    It's certainly interesting what you wrote Amour, but I'm not understanding why you think that Mega Sableye should be suspected if Aegislash returns to OU.....

KorpiklaaniVodka

KID BUU PAWAA
    Years
    It's certainly interesting what you wrote Amour, but I'm not understanding why you think that Mega Sableye should be suspected if Aegislash returns to OU.....

Actually I wasn't the original poster, credits go to UltiMario from Smogon. I just posted it because I completely agree with what he said.

Polar Spectrum

I'm still here; watching. Waiting.
    Years
    PU? FU?

How about every pokemon just has their own tier

And regardless of wether or not those 'at the time very reasonable bans we all agreed were necessary' are reversed - when they pass their decision down, it will be accepted and echoed. I have no doubt.

I personally don't want to see Genesects in common matches because smogon says it's on par with their ou tier pokemon though. No thank you.

Dark Azelf

☽𖤐☾𓃶𐕣
    Years
    • Seen Jun 11, 2024
    Mega Sable is horrendously overated. You dont even need to use Fairies to beat it. :\ As for msable stall, sometimes i find myself thinking that id sooner run other pokemon rather than it, especially when you take into account stuff that stall struggles with (sub mind keld, gardy etc) and covering these pokemon instead of running msable.

As for Aegislash, something that warps the metagame around it sometimes isnt a bad thing, Snorlax did this in GSC for example, but i dont get what has changed since Aegis ban? Why would it now be acceptable in OU? Landorus-Ts high usage doesnt mean shit especially when Aegislash can still just spam Shadow Ball and everything dies basically and if you're using stuff like lando to check it, you're gonna have a bad time. Aegislash DOES help tremendously with issues for stall however. The big 3 breakers especially it beats MHera, MGardy and MMedicham/Gallade. It gave stall wiggle room because its basically an offensive pokemon that walls a shit tonne. It hurts offense and can cripple foe stall teams so helps in alot of match ups. But i still dont see what beats it and checks it consistently without getting annihilated by the unpredictability of its sets and its sheer power.

Genesect. Yeah no. Run Heatran or lose, seems legit. :\

Last edited:

Anti

return of the king
    Years
    nah d_a, was referring to this:

If Aegis were to drop, I'd fully support a suspect test for Sableye, since now stall would have the wiggle room to play around with many different metas and team building styles, rather than being stuck in a place where they're just building around Sableye. Aegis not only is a strong asset for stall teams that would prevent the forced usage of Sableye on stall, but its presence in the meta pushes out threats that Stall currently has to worry about, many of which are Sableye checks. With Aegis in the meta I'm very confident that Sabeye's presence would no longer be needed, and if Aegis and Sable were swapped out we'd end with stall having less restrictive teambuilding while building for and against stall.

which is a load of bs. it's not like stall is locked into a certain team and then aeg comes along and suddenly the colors of the rainbow open up. so no, it doesn't let stall innovate, at least not the way this poster is talking about. (or at least more reasoning is needed to make that case, but i am wholly unconvinced.)

just for funsies tho, medicham and heracross are both uu in usage, and gallade isn't breaking clefable or sableye any time soon. they're not much of a metagame presence *without* aegislash (nor does aeg help with other problem mons for stall like manaphy and landorus).

there's nothing aegislash (or sableye or freaking giratina) can do to cover stall's biggest weakness: it's always going to be passive and easy to counter-team with various breakers. too many top threats to cover now. (just look at stalls without slowbro or quag - huge huge zardx problems. just to give one example.)

i think you're right about sableye though. its ability to control the hazard game is especially overrated - if you really wanna set rox, you can do it, m sableye or not (usually via team building with a rox clef or lum chomp etc).

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    Is it normal or something for people to forfeit within 3 turns on the Smogon Doubles ladder or something? Because I've been doing some of that today and I think I've only had one or two battles where it actually went until one of us had no pokes left.....

destinedjagold

I do not exist.
    Years
    • Seen May 26, 2024
    I registered for the Generation Showdown. ^^
    I'm going with my usual ORAS team...which isn't built for double battles. >.>

skyburial

Orca Hype
    Years
    Didn't realize it was Doubles >_<

This is gonna be rough. There goes my dream of using Shuckle in the tourney. Oh well, no such thing as a wasted Pokemon.

Last edited:

Zeffy

g'day
    Years
    • Seen May 21, 2024
    So, I am guessing Generation Showdown is another one of those tournament type things akin to the Battle of Hoenn?

skyburial

Orca Hype
    Years
    So, I am guessing Generation Showdown is another one of those tournament type things akin to the Battle of Hoenn?

It's like that, but they're allowing the use of up to 2 previously banned legends exempting mythicals and Deoxys.

Polar Spectrum

Years
    Why is this the Anita Sarkeesian DCC right now lol. And b'aw Zeffy Hamtaro

Generation Showdown is basically all the big bad legends tossing blows at one another in doubles 4v4 matches though; pretty entertaining.

My bet is on Mewtwo and Xerneas reigning. By the way, happy birthday to mewtwo as of February 6th.

skyburial

Orca Hype
    Years
    Yeah I've been battling some other folks who are practicing for the showdown (the teams are usually obvious) and the most common combo is Power Herb Xerneas and Primal Groudon.

I'm gonna start leading with Dialga in those battles.

Polar Spectrum

Years
    Leading with Dialga? But what's your answer to dat Precipice Blades? The fact that it hits both in doubles is pretty brutal :c

No lie though, I squashed a nub using Mega Ray, Primal Groudon, Metagross, and Deoxys with a team of Dunsparce, Aromatisse, Jellicent and Gardevoir though. Kid was baaaaaad

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    Dialga's not even a terribly good answer to GeoXern tbh.

No lie though, I squashed a nub using Mega Ray, Primal Groudon, Metagross, and Deoxys with a team of Dunsparce, Aromatisse, Jellicent and Gardevoir though. Kid was baaaaaad
    Those are always fun. Kids are like "mah mega ray's gunna rek everybody online!"

.....and then it has a shit nature, isn't EV trained, and has a terrible moveset and then you destroy it lol

skyburial

Orca Hype
    Years
    Leading with Dialga? But what's your answer to dat Precipice Blades? The fact that it hits both in doubles is pretty brutal :c

If he goes for Precipice Blades, Lugia gets off a free Tailwind, setting up Bandorus-T for a revenge kill. Life Orb Dialga takes out and outspeeds a Geomancy Xerneas and outspeeds all but 1 common build for Groudon, which it ties, and I'm willing to take that gamble.

I practiced this last night, it does the job.

Those are always fun. Kids are like "mah mega ray's gunna rek everybody online!"

.....and then it has a shit nature, isn't EV trained, and has a terrible moveset and then you destroy it lol

I haven't been able to test my team against a decent Mega Ray because of this, which has been a bummer.

Last edited:
    Years
    You know, before Mega Rayquaza was banned from ubers (read: in November just after ORAS were released), some people said that it had the potential to work even in the hands of inexperienced players.

But with Geomancy Xerneas, if it's faster than Dialga (which it will be if it's +Speed, unless the latter is scarfed), it can get in the Power Herb boost and will likely not be OHKO'ed, even if Dialga has Flash Cannon.

Polar Spectrum

Years
    Oh yeah - mega ray is mad crazy powerful. But I will always assert that no matter what tears you swim in or pokemon you use, there is no cure for just being bad (or stupid). Plus, he got Trick Room'd. So all those nice big base speed stats went out the window for rayquaza and deoxys.

Another thing... this kid seriously activated Rayquaza's mega evolution, which turned on Delta Stream - CANCELING desolate land - when there was a water type on the field.

Few things in my recent pokemon experiences have been as pleasant as watching a primal groudon get OHKO'd by a Jellicent with hydro pump.

skyburial

Orca Hype
    Years
    Oh yeah - mega ray is mad crazy powerful. But I will always assert that no matter what tears you swim in or pokemon you use, there is no cure for just being bad (or stupid). Plus, he got Trick Room'd. So all those nice big base speed stats went out the window for rayquaza and deoxys.

Another thing... this kid seriously activated Rayquaza's mega evolution, which turned on Delta Stream - CANCELING desolate land - when there was a water type on the field.

Few things in my recent pokemon experiences have been as pleasant as watching a primal groudon get OHKO'd by a Jellicent with hydro pump.

I know I've said it before, but telltale sign of a n00b - leaving Deoxys in its base forme.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back