• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What are some of your most-used moves?

Years
What moves do you think you use, or have used in the past, most often?

I used Thunderbolt and Surf to death in some of the older games. Shadow Ball and Earthquake too. Thunderbolt is still on my list of most-used and favorite attacks in newer generations, though I also realized a lot of my mons have Play Rough or Liquidation in their moveset as well ~

Days
Tackle/Scratch/Sand-Attack/etc. are also not much far in terms of usage. As most Pokémon caught early on know these moves only 😂

Apart from them, I will also consider the moves which the Sheep listed. And will add Flamethrower, Megahorn, Close combat, Sludge Bomb, Rock Slide and few others.

And in category of non-damaging moves, they will be iron defense, Calm Mind, sand attack, confuse ray, trick room, recover, Destiny Bond.

Last edited:
Years
Rather depends on the team. Whichever move deals the most damage without sacrificing accuracy that the Pokemon can learn.
Currently using Earthquake, Dragon Claw, Bug Buzz, Ice Beam & Night Slash a lot on my ice types team.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen today
Iron Defense + Body Press. Works far too well. Adds another dimension to the team as a bonus.

Curse, Swords Dance, and Nasty Plot. Acts as the sledgehammer of the team. Typically does not use Calm Mind, for whatever reason. Considers it useful. Presumes it to be an availability thing.

Charm or Feather Dance. Relies on set up moves often. Enables that. (Would say Eerie Impulse too, if more Pokemon learned that.)

Echoes Surf. Typically needs it for progression. Also deals solid damage at 100% accuracy. Why not?

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen today
Surf, Flamethrower, Ice Beam, Thunderbolt, Earthquake.

Sometimes I keep an accuracy lowering move like Sand Attack too. Helpful if my team is low level and I can't brute force a battle.

Explorer of Time

Advocate of Ideals
Years
A lot of my Pokemon end up with a stat-boosting move of some sort depending on their role. Dragon Dance, Quiver Dance, and Shell Smash are my favorites, but most Pokemon can't learn them, so Swords Dance and Nasty Plot are more common. I'll also sometimes use Calm Mind and Bulk Up if I can't use anything that sharply raises an attacking stat or also raise speed at the same time. Cosmic Power is also something I like to use on more defensive Pokemon, but I don't run Barrier and Amnesia as much outside of generations that don't have the Physical/Special Split.

For attacking moves, I tend to use Shadow Ball or Shadow Claw to help get unresisted coverage for stuff my STAB moves don't cover, since they're widely available and can hit almost all types for neutral damage. They're not usually my first option, but they're a solid backup especially if I have my Pokemon's attacking stat boosted by a status move. Otherwise, I usually try and find the strongest STAB move for each type that has 70+ power and 100% accuracy and matches the right attacking stat, and if I have a move leftover I use it to try and cover as many Pokemon for neutral damage as I can. There are some exceptions where I'll use a weaker move with a good side-effect, though, most notably with Normal-type moves where I almost always prefer Body Slam or Secret Power over Return for the Paralysis chance. I also prefer Rock Slide over Stone Edge, because the accuracy is much better.

Setsuna

♡ Setsuna Scarlet Storm!!
Years
Earthquake is just too effective in most scenarios for me not to use it, haha. Usually my go-to options for coverage are the typical stuff like Flamethrower/Thunderbolt/Psychic/Shadow Ball but I also find myself checking if stuff can learn moves like Energy Ball and Flash Cannon often. I love Charge Beam and sometimes I'll just put it on something with a free move slot if I wanna see if I can get lucky. I also try to fill out the Pokedex in everything I play, so False Swipe and Thunder Wave are a must. When I played through Indigo Disk I had a team based around using Quiver Dance with Oricorio and realized just how good that move is, so I'll eagerly be looking out for that in the future.

Days
Stat-Ball formation is my style, so few other moves which comes to mind are: Coil, Cosmic Power, Agility, Dragon Dance; and these moves usually works great with Eternatus and Zygarde-C. Moonblast seems bread-and-butter fairy attack which most fairy or fairy-coverage Pokemon prefer.

Early game Bide also seems useful, and reminds me of Marshtomp using it. Counter is also the one which I prefer and use Hyper Potion afterwards during battle. Will-O-Wisp is also nice strategic move, and so is TM Toxic which becomes available in 2nd half.

Sweet Serenity

Advocate of Truth
Years
Earthquake and Rock Slide are my main go-to moves on the physical side because of coverage. Almost all my physical attackers have these moves. On the special side, my most used moves are Ice Beam and Thunderbolt, again for coverage. Nearly all my special attackers know them.

Back