• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What are you reading?

SeleneHime

The pen may be mightier than the sword, but I'll t
Years
  • I usually read two books/series at once, leisure and research, so here we are:

The Emperor's Soul, by Brandon Sanderson
    Hagakure: Wisdom of the Samurai, by Yamamoto Tsunetomo
    --- I'd also recommend Hagakure for someone wanting more accurate information on feudal Japan. Bushido is Christianized bull-hockey.

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
    Years
    • Seen Sep 17, 2018
    I'm finishing up Mrs. Dalloway by Virginia Woolf for my British literature class, and I'm in love. Definitely going to read some more of Woolf's works when this class finishes and I have more free time for recreational reading.

KetsuekiR

Ridiculously unsure
    Years
  • I've just begun reading The Silmarillion by J. R. R. Tolkien and it is, as of yet, my favourite book. His style of literature and the way it is presented with such beauty, ceaselessly amazing, is what has me glued to it as I am.

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen today
    Hagakure: Wisdom of the Samurai, by Yamamoto Tsunetomo
    --- I'd also recommend Hagakure for someone wanting more accurate information on feudal Japan. Bushido is Christianized bull-hockey.
    Good to know! I'll make note of this book to look for it when I have less in my "to read" pile. I'm always looking for good books about Japan.

Currently, I'm reading Red Prophet by Orson Scott Card. It's the second book in the Alvin Maker series, which is a retelling of Joseph Smith's life set in a fantastical magical America. I simply adore the writing style of this series, which makes it sound like someone from that era is telling the story to you.

SeleneHime

The pen may be mightier than the sword, but I'll t
    Years
  • Good to know! I'll make note of this book to look for it when I have less in my "to read" pile. I'm always looking for good books about Japan.

Currently, I'm reading Red Prophet by Orson Scott Card. It's the second book in the Alvin Maker series, which is a retelling of Joseph Smith's life set in a fantastical magical America. I simply adore the writing style of this series, which makes it sound like someone from that era is telling the story to you.

I actually have the first and third books in the Alvin Maker series because I found them at a used bookstore. Haven't started reading yet because I'm missing the middle. How is that series so far?

Kaiyu

Has officially quit PC
    Years
    • Seen Nov 19, 2016
    I am reading "The Pirate King" by R.A. Salvatore. It's my favorite book. I've read the book at least four times now. I lost count lol.

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen today
    I actually have the first and third books in the Alvin Maker series because I found them at a used bookstore. Haven't started reading yet because I'm missing the middle. How is that series so far?
    To be quite honest, I really can't say. Which is a shame, because I've read the entire series before, but really only remember the first book. The second book has a very slow start. It took about a hundred pages before the main conflict was mentioned, and an extra forty pages before Alvin made a return to the story.

Probably because the series isn't as contained now as it was in the first book. First book was mostly about Alvin, showing what he could do and building up the quiet town he grew up in. But the series is now bringing in a lot of characters, so there's more for Card to have to describe and build up than just one small boy in a small little village.

starseed galaxy auticorn

[font=Finger Paint][COLOR=#DCA6F3][i]PC's Resident
    Years
  • The Gift of a Charm by Melissa Hill

It's the first time I'm reading anything by her. The book is actually pretty descriptive though, and it offers a pretty clear picture of imagery and such. I've been trying to force myself to read more because I know it'll help my writing skills too. XC

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen today
    Now I'm reading Prentice Alvin by Orson Scott Card, and it's got a much better start than Red Prophet. Maybe because Al's more involved in the plot this time, along with another character that's interesting.

Bay

Years
  • Welcome to Nightvale novel by Joseph Fink and Jeffrey Cranor. I enjoyed the podcast quite a bit and curious about the story of the novel version. Only halfway through but I have some mixed feelings about it. For one of the characters, her interactions with her son got somewhat repetitive with the narration always mentioning her unsure of herself if she was a good mother or not. Her scenes with the more plot stuff are interesting. As for the writing style, while it has the same humor and strangest of the podcast, I feel some lines are pretty forced. Haha seems like I'm not enjoying the novel so far, but I'm still interested over what is going on despite some parts dragging.

«Chuckles»

Sharky
    Years
    • Seen Apr 29, 2023
    The Savage Detectives by Roberto Bolano
    Will always be trying to get through Ulysses. Thanks James Joyce for being so based.

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen today
    Star Wars: A New Hope by George Lucas. This is a novelization of the first Star Wars movie, and I'm reading it so I can finally have an idea of what Star Wars is all about. And yes, I have more time to read than to watch movies.

Alvin Journeyman by Orson Scott Card. Finished the third book in the series and moved on to the fourth. Opening chapter is the most bizarre piece of writing by Card I have ever seen, and I had to re-read it a few times.

Kaiyu

Has officially quit PC
    Years
    • Seen Nov 19, 2016
    "Sea of Swords" by R.A. Salvatore. This was the first book written by him that I bought. I read the prologue and immediately got hooked so I bought it. He's my favorite fantasy genre authors.

Back