• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What do you base your team on?

Years
    Is there any theme with your in-game teams? i.e. the Ash Ketchum effect - using a Grass type, Fire type, Water type, Electric type, Flying type and a random type?

What are your teams based around?

Years
    On my first playthrough of a game, I just catch whatever I think looks cool, always ending up with definite Water and Flying-types. When I restart the game, I'll try to have a Fire-type, Water-type, Flying-type, Ground-type, Dragon-type, and some random filler (in Black, it was a Vanilluxe).

salmence33

I'm out here
    Years
    • He/him
    • Seen Apr 26, 2024
    I try to use pokemon that nobody uses, but are still good

King Of The Blues

Still got the Blues, For you.
    Years
    I base my team around Pokemon with good game stats, good moves and good looks. I like to have an all-round team. Usually I'll have one water type, one grass, one fire, one flying and the other two vary.

Years
    I get a team that covers all the common weaknesses. My E4 team, for example:

Meinshao covers Dark w/ U-Turn to hit a Psychic hard for quick damage before switching into...

Zoroark covers Psychic and hits hard, but when I get stuck on something like Gallade...

Beheeyem switches in to cover Zoroark's Fighting-Type weakness. When they switch back to Dark, the cycle starts over, but Beheeyem has Energy Ball to cover Water types, protecting...

Emboar is my All Around Fighter. With Electric, Ground, Fighting, and Fire, he can cover almost anything with a HUGE Attack power. On Dragons, though, I can always switch into...

Kyurem, with an Ice subtype, can cover any Dragon I come across with two different STAB attacks. If a Fire type comes in, I can switch back to Emboar to Earthquake it, creating another circle.

Katja

Years
    I play with my favorites. The team I'm trying to have now is:
    Volcarona, Lucario, Zoroark, Lopunny.

Not sure about the other two. Thinking about an eevee evo...but I like regular eevee D: I'm not sure if I could win with a lvl 100 eevee lol.

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
    Years
    Most likely yes =)
    But the theme changes everytime =)
    Only common things are fire starter, water-type, electric-type, legend (which is usually my favorite pokémon from generation).
    Most of the times I choose by looks but when I played Black, I chose my team solely on stats and my usual theme =)

Uecil

[img]https://i.ibb.co/4jfYrCT/tHdpHUB.png[/img]
    Years
    I just use a random team that, I would think would be good or I use the element based team. E.g. Grass, Fire, Water, Electric, Flying and then a random type.

Flashmeteor

Awkward silences are the best.
    Years
    I use whatever, just as long as it's even, I'm fine. Don't really care for stats because I usually don't play online. I'm playing Black for the 2nd time, using pokemon I didn't use the first time.

Kevin

kevin del rey
    Years
    I want a variety of Pokemon types on my team (including movesets), and I want their appearance to look good.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
    Pokemon that I like the appearance of that give me a pretty diverse team with as many types represented as I can without having to use Pokemon I don't like or find attractive.

Atomic Pirate

I always win.
    Years
    In an odd Platinum run-through, for some reason I nicknamed my Pokemon after Batman characters. Batman the Gliscor, Penguin the Empoleon, Joker the Magmortar, can't remember the rest. I think I had a Gallade named Riddler. But in normal playthroughs of a Pokemon game, my team includes:

Fire - If my starter is Fire, then I use my starter. Usually I use a fire type I can get earlier in the game. Because you can rarely get a fire type early on, I usually just pick up whatever I find first.

Water - Like Fire, this could be my starter. But I don't generally use water types that you can only get late in the game. With the exception of Chinchou/Lanturn in RSE. If I don't start with Mudkip, I often use one of these.

Grass - Like Water and Fire, this is my starter at times. I prefer double-type grass Pokemon, and I don't always have a grass type. I find it useful sometimes, though.

Electric - This is a team necessity for me. I never use a Pikachu though. In Kanto games, I just use a Magneton. In Hoenn, it was Manectric. Or Lanturn, like in Johto. I didn't raise one in Diamond, but Platinum (Not the aforementioned Batman playthrough) brought me Electivire, which I used. My first 2 Unova playthroughs, I used Zebstrika and Galvantula, and now, in my 3rd playthrough, I am going to use an Eelektross.

Ground/Rock/Steel - A defender is necessary for me, and I rarely have trouble finding one of these. Golem appears often in this role, he is very underrated and his defense is great.

Whatever - Whatever I feel like raising goes here. Sometimes it is a flying type, sometimes something different like Dark, Ghost, or Psychic.

Last edited:
    Years
    Nothing more than whim, really. I once tried to fill it out with a bunch of the least-used Pokemon just to freshen things up.

Binary

え?
    Years
    • Seen Apr 7, 2014
    I don't really base my team around anything. I do, however, like variety. Like different types, moves and stuff. But, I have no real philosophy when it comes to my Pokemon Team.

.Marion

RNG Master
    Years
    I base my team on nothing.. I always try to make sure that I use only my favorite pokemons and well, looks cool in my eyes.

Shiny

content creator on twitch
    Years
    I try to have only one pokemon which is part of a three-stage evolution. The rest only tend to be part of a two-stage evolution.

Back