• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What do you think about the idea of Pokémon having two Abilities simultaneously?

Sweet Serenity

Advocate of Truth
Years
  • Each Pokémon only has one Ability at a time, even though most Pokémon have either 2 or 3 Abilities. What if they could have two at the same time? How would gameplay be for you personally?

Years
    • Any pronoun
    • Seen today
    Technically did that with Calyrex with As One.

Depends how they do it. Practically made some newer abilities two at once, in a sense. For example, Purifying Salt. Grants a Ghost resistance AND status immunity. Feels okay about this kind of implementation.

Would rather not see two separate abilities on a Pokemon. Inevitably runs into nonsense like:
    Enemy Masquerain's Intimidate
    Indeedee's Own Tempo
    Ally Torkoal's White Smoke
    Enemy Masquerain's Unnerve
    Indeedee's Psychic Surge
    Enemy Flittle's Frisk
    Enemy Flittle's Anticipation
    Ally Torkoal's Drought

Represents one of the worst-case scenarios. Still results in a lot of pop-ups, especially in competitive with lots of switching. Slows down the battle. Could arguably use a few more pop-ups, such as for Blaze, Overgrow, and Torrent, just not for double abilities.

Does not want to see things like Intimidate + Moxie Gyarados/Salamence either. Makes them even better. (More wild combinations: Guts + No Guard Machamp or any two of Sheer Force / Iron Fist / Guts Conkeldurr.) May run into issues like Lucario's Steadfast (+1 Speed for flinching) and Inner Focus (no flinching) as well.

Years
    • Seen today
    I don't think I'd like it. Good arguments explained on Devalue's post.

It would make chaotic scenarios with way too much stuff going on simultaneously more frequently, making battles unnecessarily
    convoluted.

And it would potentially break the game even more by overpowering those Pokémon that have two/three amazing Abilities but normally have to choose one (Azumarill, Krookodile, Bronzor, Frosmoth, Excadrill, etc.) while hurting Pokémon that have one useless or extremely situational Abilities such as Houndoom, Starmie, Shiinotic, Ribombee, or Camerupt to name a few.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
  • Pokemon Mystery Dungeon allowed Pokemon to have both of their abilities in the first two games. But, for main series, I think that'd be a little too overpowered. Pokemon should only have one ability. Calyrex Ride Form having basically too abilities is the only one that should since it's Calyrex riding a horse and is two Pokemon as one, so.

Anything else... no. Especially Pokemon that have broken abilities like Magic Guard.

And, for some Pokemon don't even have the chance to have two abilities. Like Vigoroth, so to be honest, some it's not even possible for them to.

Years
  • The Rider Calyrex forms pull it off nicely, but I wouldn't want to see it be widespread. There would be too many broken strong combo's imo

Years
    • Seen today
    I'd rather see a larger variety of abilities that a pokemon can solely use. Instead of only ability 1, ability 2, hidden ability.

Years
    • Age 20
    • He/they
    • Ohio
    • Seen May 13, 2024
    Ursaring having both Guts and Quick Feet at the same time is pretty insane. Being able to outspeed most of its foes AND hit twice as hard when statused... and then Facade enters the equation...
    Swift Swim Rain Dish Ludicolo also sounds utterly broken for rain teams.

Years
  • I can see it working for certain Pokémon that are specifically designed/balanced having two abilities, like Calyrex, but overall? It seems like it'd be really confusing as Devalue said and make battling messy. A lot would need to be overhauled for every Pokémon to gain a second ability or competitive battling would get overwhelming. I do enjoy the thought of having overpowered mons with two abilities that work super well together though, lol.

Years
  • I think it COULD work if both abilities played off each other in a interesting way. Or maybe a thing where you can have pokemon with one good ability or ones with 2 lesser abilities. In either case though they would have to REALLY put in the work to not have it super duper broken and i just dont see gamefreak ever committing to that as it stands

Years
    • Seen today
    Imagine Bibarel having Simple and Moody at the same time. That would be terrifying.

Back