• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What do you think of Team Rocket?

Years
  • Team Rocket's been around since the beginning and are constantly on the prowl to steal Pikachu (and any other rare Pokémon). What do you think of them? Have they served their time, or do you like them sticking around? Which saga/season do you think they were best in?

The Mega Champion

Strategist
    Years
  • You want full honesty?

Nothing but a joke. Sorry but that's just how I feel. The show needs a better and a more serious 'evil team' that's actually a real threat instead of a comedic relief.

That's why I honestly hope that they too are gone for good with the upcoming confirmed 'hard reboot'

Though honestly I doubt Team Star can be portrayed as a 'real threat' either.

Sweet Serenity

Advocate of Truth
    Years
  • Team Rocket are the most pitiful main villains in all of fiction. Much like Ash constantly losing every Pokémon League, Team Rocket quickly lost their threat factor when they kept getting blasted off by 10-year-old children in every single episode. Pokémon would have been better if they put them to the side and featured the other villainous teams that existed in the games. In fact, I could literally write several articles based on how the anime could have been improved. As for Team Rocket's best season, they were at their best in the Unova series because they were actually kind of competent then.

Years
  • I like Jesse, James and Meowth but I'm sick and tired of the capturing Pikachu thing. It's been done literally HUNDREDS of times. Ideally Jesse/James/Meowth would quit Team Rocket and make occasional cameos as a wandering show or something.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
  • Don't care anything about them to be completely honest. They were overused and useless before Unova. They had to make an appearance just to be included. BW was a great way to change it up and actually make them better, but in the end, they reverted back to their old selves.

In Kalos, they were slightly better, but they were still annoying, but had a couple of good episodes with them. Alola, they finally took a backseat to everyone else, but they still weren't needed at all. And Journeys they've barely made an appearance which is much appreciated. I'll be happy to accept that they will no longer be in the anime if they are retired as well. Especially if nothing happens meaningful to them in the last 4 episodes.

Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Nov 24, 2023
    I really dislike how Team Rocket is represented in the anime. I always thought, since I was little, about these three characters being lame as hell and plot ruiners.
    I remember when I was little and happened to watch the Pokémon anime on TV, hoping and praying all the time for them not to show up and wondering to myself: "why should I be happy to see the same thing over and over every day? Please, remove these characters from the freaking cast!".
    If you ask me the reason why I like the Digimon anime much more than the Pokémon anime my answer will always be: "simply put, the Digimon anime does not have Team Rocket!".
    I'd rather have more episodes focusing on characters like gym leaders, elite four and/or region champions instead than the same, overused, obnoxious Team Rocket trio formula.

It's better if I stop, really, because my hatred for them is pretty much endless and could get me easily banned from Pokécommunity. Guess that explains what I think about Team Rocket or better: about what Team Rocket is in the anime.

Sweet Serenity

Advocate of Truth
    Years
  • I really dislike how Team Rocket is represented in the anime. I always thought, since I was little, about these three characters being lame as hell and plot ruiners.
    I remember when I was little and happened to watch the Pokémon anime on TV, hoping and praying all the time for them not to show up and wondering to myself: "why should I be happy to see the same thing over and over every day? Please, remove these characters from the freaking cast!".
    If you ask me the reason why I like the Digimon anime much more than the Pokémon anime my answer will always be: "simply put, the Digimon anime does not have Team Rocket!".
    I'd rather have more episodes focusing on characters like gym leaders, elite four and/or region champions instead than the same, overused, obnoxious Team Rocket trio formula.

It's better if I stop, really, because my hatred for them is pretty much endless and could get me easily banned from Pokécommunity. Guess that explains what I think about Team Rocket or better: about what Team Rocket is in the anime.

The worst part about Team Rocket is that they are not bad characters themselves. James is hilarious, Jessie has a temperamental and vain personality that translates well for an organization like Team Rocket, and their Meowth talks when most Pokémon can't say more than their names, which is interesting. Instead, the way they are written in the show makes them horrible. I always believed that Ash should have won the Indigo League and the protagonists from the later games should have took his place the following seasons. They still could have kept Ash relevant by having him make occasional appearances and by having the other characters look up to him as a living legend, similar to Red in the games. In the process, they should have done Team Rocket the exact same way and focused on the villainous teams from the other regions as well. I also believe they should have made Team Rocket more competent. At least end some episodes with them winning and actually stealing Pokémon successfully. This would have really hyped up some anticipation about how the gang would fix this problem in the next episode instead of literally "blasting them off" every single episode.

Twilight-kun

Pokémon World Champion
    Years
    • Seen Jul 27, 2023
    They peaked in Sun & Moon when they stopped being the source of conflict for most episodes, and they turned into fun and interesting characters just living in the Pokemon world; shouldn't have entered the league, and instead done a sell-off against Mallow to make the league more interesting though

PM19 literally threw them aside for 90% of its run and did nothing aside from horrifically abuse them

sabrina_diamond

Blazing dark Vulpix
    Years
    • Seen Nov 15, 2023
    I thought that Team Rocket was charming at first during the Indigo League (liked Jessie's Arbok) but they became annoying during Johto. I liked Growlie, Jame's growlithe as well!

Days
    • Seen Jun 5, 2023
    I can understand your point of view! Team Rocket, consisting of Jesse, James, and their Pokémon partners, has indeed gone through different phases throughout the Pokémon series. Their charm and performance in the Indigo League caught the attention of many spectators, including Jesse Arbok. But as the series progressed into the Johto region, some viewers found the repeated attempts to capture Pikachu and the constant interference in Ash's journey a bit annoying On the other hand is nice to hear you liked James' faithful companion Growlie the Growlithe. Growley's presence added some warmth and affection to the Team Rocket trio. The Pokemon journey often brings changes and developments to the characters, as well as their abilities, making the series a unique and exciting experience for fans

Harmonie

Winds ღ
    Years
  • I haven't watched the anime in over two decades, but did decide to watch some of Kalos recently as I love the region and the Pokemon. I am baffled by Team Rocket. I don't understand their obsession with Ash's Pikachu, nor do I understand how Ash keeps on falling for their obvious disguises.

I think anime from the time Pokemon began did this kinda thing quite frequently, like Sailor Moon was very repetitive, too. I understand the charm of Jesse and James and why they've continued to be in the series throughout all of these years, but I do think that the concept is a bit dated and watching Pokemon as an adult, I just have lots of questions about them and their obsession with Ash's Pikachu to the point where they've blasted off a thousand times at this point. lol.

ItalianSpiritomb

ItalianSpiritomb
    Days
    • Seen Jun 8, 2023
    Bro for real. Ash is like 10 and he still falls for Team Rocket disguises? My biggest question here is how Pikachu defeats literal legendary Pokémon, but in a later region, loses to a level 5 Snivy.

Lavender

No, your gonna face ME first!
    Years
  • James is the best anime character, change my mind.

I don't care how many people don't like team rocket, they will always be my favorite anime characters

Last edited:
    Years
  • Comedic relief basically. I don't think they are bad, and really grew to like them overtime in the anime.

Curt_09

Also known as Chozo
    Years
  • Jessie, James, and Meowth were very good for episodic gag villains in a 90's anime. Their high point in the main series was most likely in episode 2, as that's when they seemed the most menacing. Overall they had a lot of humanity and relatable moments, which eventually make them endearing. My favorite version of them is in Pokemon The Movie 2000. I also enjoyed their stories in Pokemon Chronicles.
    Team Rocket as a whole peaked in Indigo League, obviously, as the main antagonists of the region. The rest of the organization is competent, Giovanni is intimidating, and the creation of Mewtwo is potentially world-changing.

Konekodemon

The Master of Pokemon Breeding
    Years
    • Age 39
    • NC
    • Seen Nov 20, 2023
    What do I think? I think I am angry Jessie and James split up at the end of the series. Sure, they deserve to retire but that doesn't mean they can't stay together. They could fulfill each of their own separate dreams and still live together. Heck, they could even start their own business. I know before when they took honest part time work they were very good at what they did when they ran their own business together.

Days
  • I absolutely despise them. They are easily my least favorite characters in the entire series. Especially Jessie. She's so obnoxious that I can barely stand to even look at her most of the time. I become so fed up with them that I just completely skip their parts whenever they show up in an episode.

Years
    • Seen today
    Hilarious dialogue. Awful characters on a binge watch.

On second thought, I don't think the anime episodes were meant to be all watched in a sitting. (at least, not the older ones).

Back