• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What game do you see happening in 2021?

What do you think the 2021 game will be?

• Let’s go gen2

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Gen4 remakes

Votes: 10 83.3%
  • None of these options and a surprise

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Pokemon Z

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • Gen9

Votes: 1 8.3%

• Total voters

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    We're probably not getting SwSh 3rd versions since they went the DLC route, and sequels have only been done once (or twice technically) with little reason to expect them to do it again, so the most likely thing to me right now is that the next main Pokemon game will be Diamond/Pearl remakes. They've also never had a generation be just one pair of games, so it's soon for Gen 9 to come about.

Years
    • Seen today
    We're probably not getting SwSh 3rd versions since they went the DLC route, and sequels have only been done once (or twice technically) with little reason to expect them to do it again, so the most likely thing to me right now is that the next main Pokemon game will be Diamond/Pearl remakes. They've also never had a generation be just one pair of games, so it's soon for Gen 9 to come about.

I wouldn't be surprised if they release a version of Sword/Shield next year with the DLC included.

This is just a wild guess, but I'd predict another DLC announced for the base game in Summer 2021, then possibly a "definitive" edition which brings the entire dex back along with the DLC.

Years
  • Personally I think we'll get Let's Go Johto in 2021, and maybe DP remakes the year after that. Unless TPCI won't be happy with no main game release this year only to follow it up with a game like Let's Go next year, if they prefer main games without simplified/introductory-to-series-mechanics like in Let's Go to be released at least once every 1-2 years? So I can see the order being reversed as well and getting DP remakes first in 2021.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • i know i ain't just see z on that poll lmfaoooo i think we missed the chance for that but we desperately needed it. poor kalos. anyway uhhh i don't think gen 9 will be next year, like. my guess is gen 4 remakes. it's too soon for an entirely new generation, like i don't think they're ready to move on to the next so quickly. but we're long overdue for a new remake. a let's go 2 set in johto wouldn't surprise me either, but i'm going to cast the vote to gen 4 remakes. you could also make a case for a deluxe version of swsh considering other generations, but swsh has dlc to pan it out more so i don't think that will happen either.

but hey, egg on my face if i'm totally wrong this time next year lmfao.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
  • Nothing will happen. Maybe another DLC part, but I don't think we're getting any new main series games/remakes next year because of you know what.

Years
  • I think we'll get another Gen I remake. It has been too long since the last one.

let's go kind of counts as that though, doesn't it? in that case it hasn't been too long. unless you're being sarcastic aha

personally I'd rather see a johto remake if we don't get dp remakes or another let's go!

Impuulse

sent out Politoed!
    Years
    • They/Them
    • U.S.A
    • Seen Oct 20, 2020
    That's a good question. I couldn't really see anything other than a Gen 4 remake tbf.

pkmin3033

Well I suppose if you keep on predicting Gen IV remakes you'll be right eventually...welcome to the world of being an industry analyst!

To be fair DPPt's 15th Anniversary is next year, which makes it slightly more likely than all the other times people have said "Gen IV remakes are coming this year!" so there is that. On the other hand, I think we are probably due Let's Go! Johto games as it seems likely that's a spinoff series they'll wish to continue as it caters to a much larger audience - i.e. everyone who plays Pokemon Go, which is obscenely lucrative - so I'd hedge my bets on that dropping next year.

As for more DLC for SnS...I think we'll be in a better position to judge how likely that is after Crown Tundra has come out. Game Freak like to pretend there is a substantial and meaningful narrative in their titles, and if they judge that unfinished after Crown Tundra we could see more. But with the release of SnS + DLC bundles all on the cartridge coming out next month - basically a "Game of the Year" edition - it looks like they're done with it.

Pokemon Z isn't as improbable as it sounds given that there were supposed to be more games, and Game Freak have shown they're not above recycling old assets...I mean, they did that with Pokemon models. Going back to Kalos now would be a very strange move though. I can't see Gen VIII being a single-game generation the way Gen VI was so Gen IX is improbable...although it might actually be for the better, because the technical improvements made between XY and SM were pretty huge, so if they need a new generation to fully take advantage of the Switch hardware, by all means, Game Freak. The commercial success of SnS means that they won't just abandon it the way they did XY though.

Years
  • I think it will be Gen 4. I know they said they weren't planning on doing another Let's Go and if they did that would make it three years between main title drops and I don't think that is very likely. At this point, Pokemon Z is probably saved for Gen 6 remakes and I don't think we would randomly get a Kalos game, possible, I guess, but very unlikely. I also don't think it would be Gen 9 already with only one game released for Gen 8 but you never know!

Years
  • I think it will be Gen 4. I know they said they weren't planning on doing another Let's Go and if they did that would make it three years between main title drops and I don't think that is very likely. At this point, Pokemon Z is probably saved for Gen 6 remakes and I don't think we would randomly get a Kalos game, possible, I guess, but very unlikely. I also don't think it would be Gen 9 already with only one game released for Gen 8 but you never know!

yeah I can def agree with these points mostly, gen 4 remakes is probably what many of us expect at this point. I really wonder what news we'll get about main series games for the series's 25th anniversary. sometimes I wonder about the likelihood of getting another Kanto or Johto remake again first lol.

Years
  • yeah I can def agree with these points mostly, gen 4 remakes is probably what many of us expect at this point. I really wonder what news we'll get about main series games for the series's 25th anniversary. sometimes I wonder about the likelihood of getting another Kanto or Johto remake again first lol.

I probably am not in the majority here but I would love a Johto remake on the switch. They could turn the safari zone into more of a wild area and the bug catching competition would be a blast. I'm not really all that excited about a Gen4 remake because those are the only games I have never played. That being said, I know that people would lose it if Johto got a re-remake(?) before Gen4 got one.

Lysander

girl power ftw
    Years
  • I can see either Sinnoh Remakes or Let's Go Johto happening next year, hopefully the former if we do get one of them next year. I doubt we'll be getting Gen 9 so soon after the Crown Tundra was released, and I can't see Pokémon Z happening anytime soon.

Years
  • not gonna get my hopes high for sinnoh remakes. at the same time, it feels rather soon to be jumping into a new generation, so perhaps a new spinoff to get people interested in gen 8 until it overstays its welcome?

Momoro

I'm gonna put some dirt in your eye..
    Years
  • We're probably not getting SwSh 3rd versions since they went the DLC route, and sequels have only been done once (or twice technically) with little reason to expect them to do it again, so the most likely thing to me right now is that the next main Pokemon game will be Diamond/Pearl remakes. They've also never had a generation be just one pair of games, so it's soon for Gen 9 to come about.

Yup, I think that Diamond/Pearl are about to get their remakes as well.

Hey-- They better keep the original soundtracks!!

I mean, it's fine if they redo them to fit better into a 3D game, I just don't want them throwing away the tunes entirely.

let's go kind of counts as that though, doesn't it? in that case it hasn't been too long. unless you're being sarcastic aha

personally I'd rather see a johto remake if we don't get dp remakes or another let's go!

Let's Go is based in Kanto, so I'd say yes.

I probably am not in the majority here but I would love a Johto remake on the switch. They could turn the safari zone into more of a wild area and the bug catching competition would be a blast. I'm not really all that excited about a Gen4 remake because those are the only games I have never played. That being said, I know that people would lose it if Johto got a re-remake(?) before Gen4 got one.

What do you mean you've never played Gen 4 before..? If you haven't already, go play Pokemon Soulsilver. It's fantastic!

Yeah, if they don't make Diamond/Pearl remakes, they're going to do the next anticipated thing --release the Let's Go games for Johto.

B̶y̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶w̶a̶y̶.̶.̶ ̶W̶h̶a̶t̶ ̶d̶o̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶ ̶t̶h̶i̶n̶k̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶y̶'̶d̶ ̶c̶a̶l̶l̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶J̶o̶h̶t̶o̶ ̶L̶e̶t̶'̶s̶ ̶G̶o̶ ̶g̶a̶m̶e̶s̶,̶ ̶a̶n̶y̶w̶a̶y̶?̶

It's going to be Let's Go JOHTO!

I can see either Sinnoh Remakes or Let's Go Johto happening next year, hopefully the former if we do get one of them next year. I doubt we'll be getting Gen 9 so soon after the Crown Tundra was released, and I can't see Pokémon Z happening anytime soon.

Sadly, Pokemon Z may never happen 😭 It's been too long for Kalos, and supposedly they gave up on the original Pokemon Z that was supposed to be released on the full-of-memories 3DS.

I know it's been longer for Sinnoh, but still..

Last edited by a moderator:
    Years
  • What do you mean you've never played Gen 4 before..? If you haven't already, go play Pokemon Soulsilver. It's fantastic!

I should clarify, I have never played the Sinnoh games I have played SoulSilver. Started a new game yesterday actually!

Last edited:
    Back