• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

"What is this? Is it fake? How much is it worth?" Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
    • Seen Dec 2, 2019
    I am hoping someone can help me, My son wanted to go though his Pokémon Cards and wanted to Mark them off on the App we are using. We came across the the Celesteela GX card I have searched but have not found anything on it. So the one we have (I have attached a photo) the picture is for the promo card but it doesn't have the star but it has the numbers for the set card 144/156 but it comes up with the full art one for the set. Am I missing something or is this a miss print? Thank you

Attachments

• 6F35B222-9932-4569-AF1E-47C1EC9E9FEB.jpeg
      6F35B222-9932-4569-AF1E-47C1EC9E9FEB.jpeg
      2 MB · Views: 8
    Years
  • I am hoping someone can help me, My son wanted to go though his Pokémon Cards and wanted to Mark them off on the App we are using. We came across the the Celesteela GX card I have searched but have not found anything on it. So the one we have (I have attached a photo) the picture is for the promo card but it doesn't have the star but it has the numbers for the set card 144/156 but it comes up with the full art one for the set. Am I missing something or is this a miss print? Thank you

Counterfeit/fake. The fonts are completely off from the actual card which is the biggest immediate tell for me, along side the completely wrong picture used. And the energy symbols are off as well. Compare the card side by side to the images you find online (like at pkmn-cards.com) in these specific areas and the differences should become apparent. Do the same with his other cards, too.

Years
    • Seen Dec 28, 2019
    What's up with this card? I would think it's fake if it didn't come out of a pack from Walmart. And I'm pretty sure that pack was part of some big set iirc. Any Info would be helpful.

Attachments

• IMG_0204.jpg
      IMG_0204.jpg
      172 KB · Views: 6
    Last edited:

icycatelf

Alex
    Years
  • What's up with this card? I would think it's fake if it didn't come out of a pack from Walmart. And I'm pretty sure that pack was part of some big set iirc. Any Info would be helpful. Cant post links cause this website seems to think that a 5 day wait would stop spam bots.

imgurdotcom/gallery/xOBWzAv (replace dot with . ofc)

Those borders are way too thick and the fonts are wrong (even the one used for TRAINER, which I'm kind of surprised they even bothered changing). I even see some spots where they tried typing over the original text (for clarity) but didn't get the alignment quite right. Name is Spanish while the rest of the card is English. Even the paper looks wrong. All that combined with the fact that it isn't even holo/textured makes this an unmistakable fake.

Unfortunately, counterfeits sometimes make their way into Walmart. I haven't gotten any this blatantly fake, but I have pulled some from third-party blister packs that didn't pass the light test.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Dec 28, 2019
    One other person posted about this same card on this forum and I found one other image online of it. Wonder why no one would ask about it. This is the one other Image I can find. It is Holo at least...we sure they didn't have a new guy running the machines?

Attachments

• 78b946e07c52bbe56d0b716a408d21f0.jpg
      78b946e07c52bbe56d0b716a408d21f0.jpg
      115.9 KB · Views: 16
    Years
  • One other person posted about this same card on this forum and I found one other image online of it. Wonder why no one would ask about it. This is the one other Image I can find. It is Holo at least...we sure they didn't have a new guy running the machines?

There's just too much counterfeit about it for it to actually be legit. All the things icycatelf went over on it in the other thread are the biggest immediate tells. It legitimately just looks like someone downloaded an image of the English card from the internet, poorly photoshopped it and then printed it out poorly.

Years
    • Seen Dec 28, 2019
    Well, I guess since they are Normally Holo It would make sense that it would be one they faked..ty for the help.

Years
    • Seen Dec 28, 2019
    Update: Went through my wifes cards and found all the fakes that were from the "set" some were legit but most were not. Thanks to this sub I researched how to check them.

Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    Update: Went through my wifes cards and found all the fakes that were from the "set" some were legit but most were not. Thanks to this sub I researched how to check them.

If you want a second opinion you're free to post pics here to verify them. :)

Years
    • Seen Dec 15, 2019
    Hi, I just went through my old cards and found a card which isn't appearing in any forums. Maybe someone can tell me something about this card. :)
    It's from 2008s New Dawn set, 20/100 Glaceon and has a snowflake in the right corner of the image, which I cannot find anywhere. There were some special prints with gold snowflakes, but not with silver ones.
    Thank you :)

Years
  • Hi, I just went through my old cards and found a card which isn't appearing in any forums. Maybe someone can tell me something about this card. :)
    It's from 2008s New Dawn set, 20/100 Glaceon and has a snowflake in the right corner of the image, which I cannot find anywhere. There were some special prints with gold snowflakes, but not with silver ones.
    Thank you :)

Mind taking a picture and posting it as an attachment to your next post? It's either counterfeit or the gold stamp has worn, and, currently, I'm inclined to call it a counterfeit.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Dec 28, 2019
    A friend has this Dark Vaporeon from Rocket Set. I don't see any obvious things with it being fake..Passes Light test and it bends like a normal card.. also cut the same size as a normal card.

80467014_2662041417207144_8348352405405958144_n.jpg

Last edited:
    Years
  • A friend has this Dark Vaporeon from Rocket Set. I don't see any obvious things with it being fake..Passes Light test and it bends like a normal card.. also cut the same size as a normal card.

View attachment 90439

Looks like it had damage that stripped the fonts away? Even if factory induced, it's not a sought after or high value defect. Especially with how damaged the card is.

Years
    • Seen Dec 28, 2019
    I didn't think it would be but the ppl on the reddit sub pkmncollections thought it was cool.

Years
  • it looks like something got in the way of the printer

The problem is mostly that you have to find the market of people interested in buying cards with printing defects.

It's also possible something on the printer just ran out on the roller to affect those particular spots of the print (if the card printer has a roller to push it through the printing machine. The condition of the card itself rather than the printing defect (as in, that huge cross-card crease) would harm the value more than the defect.

Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    It's definitely a cool thing to have, but unfortunately the market value for a card like that is very minimal. Not to mention there's substantial damage to the body of the card too. While I personally wouldn't get rid of that Vaporeon if I had it, I also wouldn't buy it either, ya know?

Years
    • Seen Dec 31, 2019
    Hello! i was cleaning out my childhood bedroom over Christmas and discovered my old binder full of Pokemon cards. There are probably 300-400 cards in it, and I am at a loss about how to value them or what to do. My family and I were stationed at a military base in Japan from 1997-2000 and I bought Japanese Pokemon cards off-base as a child, and English-language American ones on-base at the BX. There are a lot, and I really don't know where to start in terms of valuing them, especially since about 2/3 are in Japanese. What would you recommend as a starting place to get an idea of what they are worth? And what is the best way to sell them?

Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2020
    Does anyone know what cards these are

Hello I was going through one of my old boxes of Pokémon cards came across these promo cards tried to look them up and could not find who they were released by or any other info on them wondering if any of you guys know what they are

Attachments

• 898102BB-BA89-45C2-ACEC-500AFB58C384.jpeg
      898102BB-BA89-45C2-ACEC-500AFB58C384.jpeg
      127.6 KB · Views: 14
    • E98723AC-F091-4413-8591-5464C1D7AEF3.jpeg
      E98723AC-F091-4413-8591-5464C1D7AEF3.jpeg
      71.4 KB · Views: 7

ShyRayq

Unprofessional Unprofessional
    Years
    • Seen Apr 2, 2024
    Hello I was going through one of my old boxes of Pokémon cards came across these promo cards tried to look them up and could not find who they were released by or any other info on them wondering if any of you guys know what they are

1. This subforum is specifically for help regarding the newest pokemon games: Pokemon Sword and Shield.
    2. From doing a bit of research, I don't think the TCG has cards that are simply attacks. They only feature pokemon, items or humans, not just attacks.
    3. For a more indepth answer, you may want to check out the "Pokemon Trading Card Game" subforum.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back