• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What makes fans who've stopped playing return to the series?

Soaring Sid

Now I'm motivated
    Years
    Did you ever lose interest in the games, only to find yourself coming back for another ride? Or do you know of someone who's had such an experience?

What do you think compels fans who've long stopped playing the games, be it the core series or the spinoffs, return to playing them?
    I'd wager nostalgia is a big player here, but what other reasons could be behind this?

Also while we're at it, we could include some responses in daily article

Years
    • Seen Jan 23, 2022
    In my experience. I haven't fallen out with Pokemon but I go in sperts with other stuff like Star Wars and Legos, its just I get an itch. Some renewed interest

Years
    There has been a time where I stopped playing Pokemon for around 7 years that made me miss out on playing gen 4 and gen 5 when they were released and I came back to playing Pokemon for nostalgia and managed to play some of the new games and bought gen 5.

pkmin3033

It's a desperate, almost hysterical sort of nostalgia. As millennials enter their late twenties/early thirties and are confronted with the harsh realities of life - tedious and unfulfilling full-time employment, bills and debt that can't be ignored, and the realisation that they're not young anymore, as many of them are married and have kids that are now their age when they discovered Pokemon, or close enough to it that it's alarming - they long to return to simpler times, when they didn't have to worry about where their next meal was going to come from, or when the worst that would happen if they didn't do something they were supposed to was a sharp scolding from their parents. A time when things were bright and new and exciting, not absolute crap like everything seems to be right now.

Pokemon hasn't changed in any meaningful fashion since the first generation, and the late 90s were very much all about the Pokemon craze; if you're a millennial you grew up with Pokemon, and the chances are you loved it like everyone else did, because kids never have any independant thought of their own: you like what your friends like. So it's the perfect thing to return to in order to satisfy the need to feel young again, even if only for a little while. It's something to hold onto in a desperate bid to not feel like you've become everything you didn't want to become when you were a child and thought that you'd never grow up, when you had no concept of your own mortality (which becomes much stronger on the other side of thirty years of age) or that your parents' worries would one day become your worries, and fucking hell are they so much worse than you could have ever imagined they'd be when you were a kid.

So I'm off on the same journey I went on when I was a kid! They even added all my old favourites into these games - look, there's Charmander, Pidgey, and Butterfree! It's just like old times! Some things haven't changed at all, and that's extremely comforting when your childhood is completely erased by the passage of time and all that replaces it is a bleak, depressing future that holds no promise of anything better.

Last edited:

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    i can't say i've fallen off the bandwagon long enough for this to apply to me, but it does go along with what dawn said. millennials especially are a very nostalgic group of people. and we're also a group of people that has been hit hard in adulthood with the economy, climate change, the housing market, etc. more so than our gen x and boomer folks before us. i think we like the escape, and we're also the first generation to really grow up with video games and other "nerdy" media being so heavily influential to us. it makes sense that some millennials try to go off and do the, what we've always perceived as, the "adult things" and then get hit hard by reality or realize we need a little slice of something that made us happy back in the day. and so...we return to pokemon, or yu-gi-oh or watching anime or whatever. i like that about us though, we can be adults without having to leave behind the hobbies we enjoyed as children whereas older generations seemed to leave things behind. ig it was easier then too, considering how big media is now compared to then.

this got way long but the point is, nostalgia is a powerful mfer.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
    I've never left Pokemon, and probably never will. Pokemon is pretty much one of the things in life I look the most forward to, and if I lost interest, I'd probably actually cry, lmfao. I didn't play Pokemon until when Pokemon was considered "dead" here for awhile. This was back circa 2007, a month or so before D/P came out. I got into it when I was 10, (is that late to get into Pokemon?) and have already been here for 14 years. I don't see myself ever losing interest. Although, sometimes I do stop playing the main series games, but that's only because I literally run out of things I want to do in the main series. I never truly stop playing Pokemon. A lot of the time, I'll play the spinoff games, or watch the anime, so Pokemon is always in my life.

Years
    for better or worse, pokemon's formula is never-changing. this has nostalgic value, which Dawn already went into, but I think this has the potential consequence of the games becoming rather stale and repetitive. you start off as a young, starry-eyed child and your goal is to beat all the gyms, kick the evil team's ass along the way, defeat the elite four/champion and become champion yourself. it's a tried and true formula, but it's also predictable and can be rather monotonous to some people.

whether you liked or disliked the direction sm/usum took, i feel it has to be said that there was at least an attempt at something different, even if it largely mirrored concepts already utilised in previous games. i give Game Freak credit where credit is due for sticking to the culture of Alola, gyms, league and all. Z-moves, while unfortunately poorly animated, are conceptually cool at the very least in their lore, so some points for that, too.

before i digress too much, the point being is that the lack of shaking things up is what i believe may be driving most people to stop playing, or at the very least become more disinterested. as for getting them back, i imagine some sort of change of direction would be necessary. something radically different than something the series has always been. even if it's different for the sake of being different (which... can be bad, but oh well).

for myself, i've developed this cycle of sinking hundreds of hours into the most recent pokemon game and burning myself out until the next pair of games are announced. i'd play Swsh: Crown Tundra more, but it feels somewhat strange to at this point, with the "hype" (or whatever's left off it) around it all but disappearing. these days, if i want to scratch the pokemon itch, i'd just play older titles. im playing Pokemon XD these days and later on i'm going to replay Pokemon Stadium 2, so there's that to keep my interest. c:

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    I lost interest in Pokémon several times, sometimes even for years.

I keep coming back because it's a unique formula, and I love to discover new Pokémon (or older Pokémon but that I didn't have used yet). I like games that let you pick different "characters" and build your party/team, and for that Pokémon games are one of the best franchises because you get endless possibilities, there's allways new stuff to try and new creatures, moves, abilities, and strategies to play with.

So although the formula is pretty much allways the same, there's very little improvement in certain areas and it's easy to get bored of it if you're just playing one Pokémon game after another, it's a great franchise to revisit and rediscover from time to time. I'm also a fan of several other franchises, so whenever I get bored of Pokémon I go play other things.

Rom hacks and fan games also helped reviving and keeping my interest in the franchise, because I'm not much into replaying the official games a lot of times so, fan creations are a great thing (and some of them are actually more enjoyable than the official games)

Years
    I would usually just stop playing the game when I finished the story and not even bother with the PokeDex. Then whenever the next Pokemon game came out, I'd start playing those and do the same. Sw/Sh is actually the first time I've played a Pokemon game so long and managed to complete the PokeDex (Trade Evos were always the reason I could never complete them in previous games). Even if the vast majority of the time invested is from breeding xD

Years
    My interest in pokemon was really strong through Gen 5 playing all the main series and spinoff games but then it waned as I grew older. Got back into it with a gifted copy of Sun and rom hacks I played with friends. That too waned during college applications and didn't come back when those were done. Currently I got back into it again because I met a couple of new friends in college who play the games. It's really always more fun in a group so if I lose that group after leaving college, my interest will probably wane again... except now I have this forum so only time will tell :P

Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    I fall in and out of it, but it's something that I've always enjoyed and been knowledgeable on so I feel it's easy for me to fall back into it. Gens I through IV were my peak interest years. I was also a child through all that time so it seems natural to be into something like Pokemon at the time. The games haven't gone in the direction I had hoped and now I'm an adult and Pokemon is just a once in awhile leisurely hobby. It's easy for me to not play for a long time because I'm busy, I've played the games I love so many times, and the newer games aren't that enticing. But because I love some of those older games so much and there are so many variations of ways you can play I still come back when I have a hankering for it.

Years
    • Seen May 20, 2024
    I didn't play Pokemon until when Pokemon was considered "dead" here for awhile. This was back circa 2007, a month or so before D/P came out. I got into it when I was 10, (is that late to get into Pokemon?) and have already been here for 14 years.

I started with Pokemon Yellow when it was released here in 1999, and I was 19 and just a few months out of high school. The way I see it, there's no such thing as getting into Pokemon late- if someone wants to try it, age should not be a barrier.

The only time I got out of it was during Gen 3, before the release of FR/LG. The effort of trying to fill the Pokedex, combined with the fact that I had no one to trade with to get the version exclusives led me to give up on trying after a while. More importantly, I was low on cash and had bills to pay, which eventually led me to sell all my Pokemon games along with other things. When my nephew got Platinum, he let me try it and I found myself wanting to get back into it again. I bought a DS and a copy of platinum of my own, and bought all the games I previously had again as well as the versions I hadn't had before. I've been playing ever since.

Years
    I started with Pokemon Yellow when it was released here in 1999, and I was 19 and just a few months out of high school. The way I see it, there's no such thing as getting into Pokemon late- if someone wants to try it, age should not be a barrier.

The only time I got out of it was during Gen 3, before the release of FR/LG. The effort of trying to fill the Pokedex, combined with the fact that I had no one to trade with to get the version exclusives led me to give up on trying after a while. More importantly, I was low on cash and had bills to pay, which eventually led me to sell all my Pokemon games along with other things. When my nephew got Platinum, he let me try it and I found myself wanting to get back into it again. I bought a DS and a copy of platinum of my own, and bought all the games I previously had again as well as the versions I hadn't had before. I've been playing ever since.

Definitely never too old! It makes me happy to read your story and that you've been playing consistently for so long. ❤️

I have been into Pokémon since the late 1990s too, starting with Red and Blue. Was only 9 or so then and am 30 now. Never got out of it yet and plan to continue actively being involved. There are a lot of people I see joining PC who say they're getting back into Pokémon though, and that's also a joy to see!

Years
    It's a desperate, almost hysterical sort of nostalgia. As millennials enter their late twenties/early thirties and are confronted with the harsh realities of life - tedious and unfulfilling full-time employment, bills and debt that can't be ignored, and the realisation that they're not young anymore, as many of them are married and have kids that are now their age when they discovered Pokemon, or close enough to it that it's alarming - they long to return to simpler times, when they didn't have to worry about where their next meal was going to come from, or when the worst that would happen if they didn't do something they were supposed to was a sharp scolding from their parents. A time when things were bright and new and exciting, not absolute crap like everything seems to be right now.
    Someone I follow on Twitter had their therapist say something I found interesting. Their therapist said most people who suffer from anxiety will usually watch/listen to the same things to relax. It is because you've seen it before. it's calming and reassuring due to being familiar to you. I find this to be true with why some people prefer the good old days too. Like those memes/macro images saying "90's kids will remember this!".

Someone I watch on occasion made a good video on Youtube on this. I still haven't quite fallen out with Pokemon, but have felt my interest and desire to complete the games has fallen out. I've had Sword/Shield since launch, and only am just now playing again and heading to the 3rd gym.

Years
    • Seen Oct 11, 2021
    I skipped XY and ORAS, came back for Sun/Moon, but haven't bothered with Sword/Shield. I think the difference with Gen 7 for me was that it just looked like a much better game than any of the Gen 6 ones.

I think that, over time, as I've grown up and have less free time, the games need to meet a higher threshold to get me to invest the money and time into them. But if they're good games, then they can pull me back in.

And the nostalgia obviously helps, too :)

Back