• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Film What was the last movie you watched?

Orion☆

The Whole Constellation
    Years
    Three special mentions:

-Dr. Bird's Advice for Sad Poets (2021). 7/10, but would not rewatch. It's an incredibly realistic picture of anxiety, OCD (not the contamination variant - the one with actual intrusive thoughts) and depression, but the plot and characters could have been better. Watched this one for Jason Isaacs, who plays the main character's harsh yet anxiety-ridden father to perfection. His character, however, could have been a little more evil, because there was little payoff in finding out that he, like his son, was mentally ill; it would have made for a stronger discussion on whether his actions were part of his nature or a result of his anxiety. (Blame his time on Star Trek: Discovery for this one.)

-Christmas No. 1 (2021). 9/10, would watch again. The ultimate proof that British Christmas comedies are better than American ones. I know it takes two to tango in these movies, but Iwan Rheon was undoubtedly the star here. His character is meant to be a messy person, but he is put through such an amount of misery, especially by the protagonist herself, that by the end I was wishing he'd just give up on her. Yet, in spite of that, the movie still manages to be quite funny, if in a dark way - as well as an epic jab at the music industry. I love dark humour, so this will likely become a Christmas staple.

-Agent Game (2022). Did not finish. The action starts in medias res without much buildup either before or after the climax, and it makes for an incredibly confusing watch. Also watched this one for Jason Isaacs... only to see his character get unceremoniously killed halfway through. Hell no, I had just gotten a good look at his stunning eyes! 😭

Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    Bullet Train

This was a fun film! Apparently the book is really dark - and I'd watch a straight adaptation - but this was a great ride, from start until almost-finish (a bit of CGI destruction at the end that I didn't care for). Aaron Taylor-Johnson and Brian Tyree Henry in particular I found really great.

Years
    Bullet Train

This was a fun film! Apparently the book is really dark - and I'd watch a straight adaptation - but this was a great ride, from start until almost-finish (a bit of CGI destruction at the end that I didn't care for). Aaron Taylor-Johnson and Brian Tyree Henry in particular I found really great.

I may have to give that a watch!

Finally got round to Hotel Transylvania 3: Summer Vacation. Omg it was sooooooooo bad. I like the first two.

Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    Rush Hour & Rush Hour 2

Pretty funny, Jackie Chan is still incredible to watch. No intention of revisiting the third instalment.

Years
    Rush Hour & Rush Hour 2

Pretty funny, Jackie Chan is still incredible to watch. No intention of revisiting the third instalment.

I think I've seen the first one...

I am a big fan of Jackie Chan's earlier (non hollywood) stuff, would you recommend setting time aside to watch them?

Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    I think I've seen the first one...

I am a big fan of Jackie Chan's earlier (non hollywood) stuff, would you recommend setting time aside to watch them?

...maybe? In terms of "early" Jackie Chan (dude is old!) I can only remember the Cannonball Run films - which suck unless you, like myself and Sterling Archer, idolise Burt Reynolds, and Jackie only fights in the sequel which is barely a film - vague visuals from Drunken Master, and Rumble in the Bronx. Oh, and the credits from his cartoon! My favourite film of his is probably Around The World In 80 Days haha

Its really a two-hander, one of the final wave of big-budget "buddy cop" films. I'd say watch the first one, but if you find yourself hating Chris Tucker (I didn't), then stop. If you like and/or tolerate him, there's some good stuff - in the sequel there's a fight on bamboo skeleton that's probably nothing if you're big into HK action, but to me it was like "oh, that's so much better than Shang-Chi".

I'm gaining an appreciation for stunts more than I used to. John Wick II was the start, with the moment where they fall into the pool in Parabellum being one of my favourite intrusions of reality into an action movie.

Years
    I can only remember the Cannonball Run films - which suck unless you, like myself and Sterling Archer, idolise Burt Reynolds

Burt was actually my favourite actor growing up!

I will maybe give them a try then ty! Btw, if you like that era of Jackie then I think you'll really enjoy films like The Young Master, Project A I & II, the Police Story series etc. that were made around the same time 😊

Duck

🦆 quack quack
    Years
    • he, they
    • Seen Feb 23, 2023
    I think it was Everything, Everywhere All at Once?
    Great movie, it's a shame it got such a limited release in my country.

Years
    Medieval (2022)

It was pretty generic movie about Czechia's most famous general, that basically threw any historical accuracy out of the window. Good blockbuster to eat popcorn to, but it had nothing to do with the time period and place it claimed it had.

Orion☆

The Whole Constellation
    Years
    -Thor: Love and Thunder. It was just okay. Lots of annoying stuff, but good stuff as well. I really enjoyed Christian Bale's performance as Gorr, though - I wish we had gotten to see more of him! The explanation for the title at the end was one of the biggest "a-ha!" moments I've had in any movie, too. 7/10, don't know if I'd rewatch.

-I Used To Be Famous. Did not finish yet. I watched this one for Ed Skrein, but he's about the only saving grace in this movie (mediocre singing and all! In fact, it's the point, because his character was a boy band member with no musical training. I do like how he sounds when he's not forcing his voice, by the way.) If a lesser actor had been in his role, I might not even have given it a try. This was originally a short film, by the way, and the script fully reflects that the writers had to pad the whole thing in order to have a full feature-length film. I'm not sure if I'll finish this one yet, but right now it doesn't look like I will.

Back