• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What was your favorite generation to play?

Years
  • With seven generations of games being released as of this post, which generation is your favorite to play and why?
    What was your favorite generation to play?
    Remember that this doesn't just ask you what new region games from that generation you enjoyed playing through most; remakes released in that generation are also included (HGSS in gen IV, ORAS in gen VI, etc)!

CodeHelmet

Banned
    Years
  • Pokemon Yellow or Generation 1 for me. Not because its the only game I own I like Yellow because while it does indeed lock you into the same starter over and over again(and vice versa for the rival), each run through it can be different, including what Eevolution your rival happens to get. Tack on additional parameters or rules and Yellow has considerable replay value that isn't bogged down in monotonous tutorials and other hand-holding that future Generations are plagued by. Grinding can be a bit of a pain but I find that Yellow challenges you more than Red/Blue due to the fact that from Lt.Surge onward, the Gym Leaders have much stronger teams with better movesets. Even the Elite Four can be a challenge if you give them an inch.

Last edited:
    Years
  • Gen 4 is my favorite as it includes my two favourite Pokemon games ( HG & PMD2 )
    I also have some memorable moments in this gen.
    The music is great, excellent plots in these games are also the reason why Gen 4 is my favorite.

Years
  • gen 5 has been the most enjoyable generation for me. when i played it, i legit felt like i was going on a pokemon journey - a feeling that other generations also gave but not with the same intensity as gen 5

Lil_Mew19

I'm soft uwu
    Years
  • I'd have to say three and five. I really enjoyed the gba games, Emerald especially. And, I absolutely love Heart Gold and Soul Silver. The first time I played SS I was immediately hooked. I just really enjoyed the storyline and the music and everything. And the fact that my Pokémon could follow me? Yeah, I was obsessed. I can't really explain as to why I favour it over most other Pokémon games I have played, because even I don't really know, oof.

Emerald was just an overall very good and satisfying game. It was the first gba game I ever played, and I must say I loved it. The graphics were satisfying and nicely done in my opinion, and I loved discovering running shoes for the first time. I also loved the fact I could catch Rayquaza.​

Last edited:

Reyzadren

Arid trainer
    Years
  • Gen 5. BW made the newer pokemon more familiar, while BW2 gave a wide range of choice for your pokemon team.

Years
    • Seen Apr 5, 2019
    Toss up between 2, 3, 4 and 5. I know that isn't really narrowing it down. But I can't help it. I love them all.

Years
    • Age 23
    • She/Her
    • Canada
    • Seen Apr 15, 2024
    Generation 4! Hands down! Pokemon Platinum is my all-time favourite main series pokemon game. I love the gym leaders, the layout of the region, Team Galactic, POKEMON CONTESTS, and of course, the newly introduced pokemon! Heartgold and Soulsilver were also incredible games as well that brought the Johto region to life!

Last edited:

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • I'd say gen 4, followed by gen 5. GSC are hard games to beat but that's all there really was to the gen for me. Gen 4 had DP which was stuffed with content and brought great things like the physical/special revamp, Platinum was DP but polished and with a Battle Frontier (heck yeah), and then HGSS rounded it out by being frankly great remakes, again packed with content. And that's just main series! It also had some fun spinoffs. Gen 3 does get a shoutout thanks to Colosseum and XD in that regard though - maybe the gen with the most main-series-like games.

BW and B2W2 were separate games on their own, with B2W2 also having a lot of stuff to do and great QoL features (many not seen again or done justice since, sadly).

Years
  • I'd normally join the crowd and say Gen 4, but I genuinely feel like I had a ton of fun with Emerald's Battle Frontier and nothing (although B2W2's PWT comes close) released subsequently ever matched that level of fun.

So yeah I'm just going to go with Gen 3.

Years
  • Gen 3. The only generation I bought every single game. I love everything about Hoenn. The Pokémon, the storyline, the region itself.

Also I loved when the idea of a remake was still fresh and exciting, FRLG are still the best remakes there are with the new twists and turns in the story. I liked how the Sevii Islands were introduced during main game and that plot line was interlaced so it wasn't a jarring postgame kind of affair (as much as I love the Delta Episode but I would have liked Zinnia to show up properly and not just have a couple of cheeky cameo shots during the main game).

Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2021
    I'm so here for all this gen 5 love. I find the sprites ugly, but the games incredible! I would have also said gen 2, cause I love its graphics, but that level curve is so annoying.

Years
  • Generation 3, I had been a Pokemon fan long before that but the first one I played was Leafgreen and then Sapphire. They bring back a lot of memories and got me hooked on the games!

Noir

Sir Lucious Left Foot
    Years
  • Gen 4. Not for anything ingame related but because I could go online and battle/trade with as many people on forums as I could find. Loved the whole scene back then and it's definitely responsible for keeping me interested in pokemon for as long as I was.

From a purely ingame perspective I would have to give it to gen 5. BW2 is probably the most fun I've had playing through a mons game and an (unfortunately) example of Game Freak going all in to spoil the player with things to do.

Years
  • Gen 4, definitely. It's probably just nostalgia talking, but I love everything about Gen 4 and no matter how many times I play them, I always have a great time.

Years
  • FireRed and Emerald are both in my top 5 favorite games in the entire series, and I sunk 300+ hours into Sapphire too, so I think it's safe to say that Gen 3 was my favorite generation. I loved some of the innovations that Gen 4 brought (and HG is only behind Emerald on my list of favorite games), but DPPt just didn't do anything for me, so Gen 4 is in a distant second spot for me.

Years
    • Online now
    I feel like I have the most fun with Generations 3 and 6.

3 being what I grew up with, and still enjoy,and 6 because I love the 3D style of it.

I also like 7, but don't find story heavy games to be as replayable.

Last edited:
    Back