• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What was your first starter pokemon?

Angel-of-Light-Kelly

Longtime fan
Years
  • My first starter was when I got to play Sapphire in 2005. I picked Mudkip, as I found him cute, and also thought that the first gym would be rock type because gen 1's was (I had watched my sister play through Kanto, so I thought it was a tradition. I had played 3, 1, then 4, before playing gen 2, so nothing was correcting me XD)

Days
    • Seen Feb 23, 2024
    My first main-series game was Yellow, so my starter was Pikachu, but the first one I actually chose was Piplup in Pearl.
    If you count the Mystery Dungeon games, then I was a Mudkip in Red Rescue Team (which was my actual first Pokémon game).

On reflection, I think I played my first Pokémon games in a fairly weird order.

MVs.C Fan

Newbie (ChillEnjoyer)
    Years
  • If i remember correctly, it was Squirtle. I choose him because it seems cute for me, and i did that on Fire Red in GBA. It was good starter back then (at least for the adventure)

Years
    • Seen Jan 9, 2024
    Charmander, and since then I've never been cured of my addiction to fire-type starters.

I mean, come on, their designs are always soooooo much better than the others...

Days
    • He/Him/My Lordship
    • Seen Nov 18, 2023
    My first Starter was Bulbasaur from FireRed.
    Since then, I've had a tendency to pick grass types.
    The only game I haven't picked grass type first is Scarlet/Violet but that's because I knew what spriggatios final form looked like and I think it looked ugly.

Years
  • My first ever Pokémon was Pikachu in Yellow, but that was game I borrowed from my friend. My first Pokémon on a game I owned was Mudkip in Sapphire.

Gruffin

Kwip yip!
    Days
  • If we're strictly sticking to actual starter Pokemon, it was Turtwig in Pokemon Diamond. However, I've always liked to think of the Shinx (now a Luxray) I picked up in Route 202 as my real starter, since I immediately shelved the Turtwig in favor of him. He was always in the first position on my team and was with me the whole journey.

Days
    • Seen May 5, 2024
    Charmander in Red, and I regretted it immensely. Brock was a huge struggle, and Misty reduced me to tears. I had absolutely no idea how to play the games, no concept of type matchups or level grinding; I was a 9 year old who wanted the box mascot. My punishment was to get systematically pounded on for the first quarter of the game!

Years
  • Bulbasaur all the way back in Red shortly after the game came out. I can picture it in my mind so clearly!

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
  • Treecko, in a game I didn't own. Turtwig for my first ever game that was mine. I wish I still had that Torterra. He's gone forever...

Setsuna

♡ Setsuna Scarlet Storm!!
    Years
  • Started with Diamond, and picked Piplup! It's been special to me ever since. I guess technically I played a few small sessions of XD Gale of Darkness as a kid, but I don't fully remember those, and you just get an Eevee either way. Wouldn't count that personally.

Back