• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Anime/Manga What's the worst anime you've ever seen?

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
Years
  • As the title says, what's the worst anime that's ever had the pleasure of lasering itself into your brain?

"Worst" can mean whatever worst means to you, I won't try to make some sort of central definition since it's generally better for discussion if we keep it vague rather than impersonal. So if it's your most hated show, go for it, and if it's the one that you simply think is of the lowest quality, go for that. Or hell, if you don't think either of those is what you'd define as the worse and you want to talk about them anyway, this is the place to do it. The thread is your proverbial oyster.

---

To start, I'll talk about the anime that rests in the pit of my stomach: Mirai Nikki. To be honest, I originally thought that people said they liked the show ironically until I found out about its massive fan following. Several years have passed since I watched the show and I've changed quite a bit since I originally watched it, so I do have to wonder if I'd feel the same way about it if I were to rewatch it now under what I assume would be a different mindset.

But if there is something that I can definitely say probably won't change, it's my opinion of the main character, Yukiteru Amano. Having a bad protagonist makes a show considerably harder to watch because, in most cases, that protagonist is going to take up at least 70% of the screentime. Mirai Nikki is one of those shows, and when even most of its fanbase pretty much agree that Yuki's a pretty insufferable protagonist, I'm honestly surprised that the show has such a large following. Of course, when you consider the positive reception to Gasai Yuno...well, it theoretically balances out.

But if you like neither of the two you're just not going to like the show, and that was really the case with me. While Yuno doesn't particularly bother me as a character by herself and, honestly, she could've made for a pretty convincing villain, what she's fighting for (Yuki) is so difficult to get behind that whenever she axes off any of the other characters that I just liked more than her it was really hard to keep those positive feelings. And it only really gets worse with time. I assume most people's advice here would be "just turn your brain off and you'll enjoy it," because the show definitely can be mindless fun, but half of the fun of any show to me is being invested in what's going on and, if not that, at least the characters, and turning off your brain really is the easiest way to keep your investment to a surface level and just not have as much (or as little) fun with it as you would otherwise.

Pretty much my cliff note thoughts, can't be flooding the OP thoughts with my 20 Page Mirai Nikki Essay.

---

So, what are your picks? Or your thoughts on the topic in general?

Last edited:

pkmin3033

...it's probably better if I don't launch into why, because I could easily write a dissertation on why it's the biggest pile of trash I've ever had the misfortune of seeing.

My thoughts on the topic of worst anything in general is that there is no accounting for taste, and that an attack on a show you like is not an attack on you as a person. Some things people like, and others do not, and majority is not an objective way of measuring quality...or anything else for that matter. It is all a matter of opinion, no matter what a fandom or critics or success rates will try to tell you otherwise.

Years
  • Gintama.

Probably the worst anime I still occasionally try to watch. 23 or so episodes into it. Admittedly there are a few anime I really disliked, but most of them were watched in an anime club, so I'll give them possible credit of being better than when I initially seen them.

Alakazam17

[b]Long time no see![/b]
    Years
  • Musaigen no Phantom World

I tried watching it last year, but the excessive fanservice turned me off. Tis a shame, because it seemed like I would have liked it otherwise.

Sonata

Don't let me disappear
    Years
  • Kuragehime

After hearing about it for months from a 'facebook friend' who said it was literally the best show ever and started to show that her life now revolved around it after having seen it, I attempted to watch it. Just barely getting through the first episode or so I realized that what I was getting into was not at all for me seeing as how I pushed myself and struggled to give it a chance. I just couldn't stand the show whatsoever.

Frozocrone

Fighting a bigger fight
    Years
  • Absolutely have to agree with Mirai Nikki.

I've not seen a lot of anime mind, but this stands out as the worst that I have watched. Yukiteru is by far one of the worst protagonists I've ever seen. Consistently whiny and weak which isn't great to begin with. I understand why he is the way he is; the Yuno and 'Yukki' we follow through the anime are 1st world Yuno and 2nd world Yukki. 1-Yukki was pretty strong and drew strength from within to protect 1-Yuno, who was pretty weak and abused by her parents. When they couldn't be together, 1-Yuno essentially snaps and kills 1-Yukki, resets the game, kills 2-Yuno and her parents, replaces 2-Yuno in the 2nd world and essentially babies 2-Yukki so that they can be together (and would have done so again for 3-Yukki, 4-Yukki and so on), just so 1-Yuno can be with her Yukki. This meant that 2-Yukki was constantly being told he was weak/needed Yuno and thus, stopped him from developing as much as he would have done as 1-Yukki would have.

The problem? This is revealed way too late into the series, towards the end five episodes if I'm not mistaken. This meant that the big reveal and explaining everything is dropped on you right at the end. There are very few, if at all, hints that Yuno isn't who she says she is until this big reveal, which isn't necessarily a bad thing for a plot twist, but dropping almost everything on you right at the end is a big no-no in storytelling.

As a result of the late reveal, Yukiteru suffers as he's constantly stunted as a character for much of the series.

I also fail to understand why Yuno's fan base are insistent on having Yuno as a waifu. Like sure, I liked her, she was hilarious to me but come on, she's bat-sh*t insane! She literally locks up her love interest and would routinely kill off all your friends who took even a slight interest in you and eventually would put an axe between your eyes! Why on earth would you waifu her?!

Lesson of the day: never make a yandere your waifu/husbando.

Last edited:
    Years
  • Himegoto.

Transphobic piece of shit that needs to burn in hell.

Jesus Christ, mate. Please tell me you're joking. It's a crass comedy and nothing more than that, calling it transphobic is utterly ridiculous. Anybody that's happy to write or fantasize about this probably isn't going to be too judgemental about what other people are doing with their lives.

It's akin to calling the Matt Lucas character Daffyd homophobic.
    Spoiler:

Also whilst there may be some superficial overlap I personally wouldn't be one to relate this fetish show with what tens/hundreds/gazillions(?) of thousands of people around the world are genuinely struggling with.

ps - traps aren't gay.

the main character, Yukiteru Amano

I don't remember this bit. The main character was Yuno and the manga was about watching her do crazy shit. Right from the beginning.

Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica.

...it's probably better if I don't launch into why, because I could easily write a dissertation on why it's the biggest pile of trash I've ever had the misfortune of seeing.

My thoughts on the topic of worst anything in general is that there is no accounting for taste, and that an attack on a show you like is not an attack on you as a person. Some things people like, and others do not, and majority is not an objective way of measuring quality...or anything else for that matter. It is all a matter of opinion, no matter what a fandom or critics or success rates will try to tell you otherwise.

Madoka was a e s t h e t i c and w i d e so it's at least better than some stuff.

Musaigen no Phantom World

I tried watching it last year, but the excessive fanservice turned me off. Tis a shame, because it seemed like I would have liked it otherwise.
    Kuragehime

After hearing about it for months from a 'facebook friend' who said it was literally the best show ever and started to show that her life now revolved around it after having seen it, I attempted to watch it. Just barely getting through the first episode or so I realized that what I was getting into was not at all for me seeing as how I pushed myself and struggled to give it a chance. I just couldn't stand the show whatsoever.

You two clearly don't even watch anime. Suppose it makes sense that I see you making your first posts here in a negative thread.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sonata

Don't let me disappear
    Years
  • You two clearly don't even watch anime. Suppose it makes sense that I see you making your first posts here in a negative thread.

True, I've just barely scratched the surface so far. I'm sure someday I'll be able to come back and appreciate or at least get through kuragehime, but I've not touched it since it aired and my backlog is just too massive right now to think about giving it a second chance.

Years
  • True, I've just barely scratched the surface so far. I'm sure someday I'll be able to come back and appreciate or at least get through kuragehime, but I've not touched it since it aired and my backlog is just too massive right now to think about giving it a second chance.

Your MAL is pretty decent so that makes disliking the jellyfish even more problematic. i love harlock.

Go back a few years and you'll see many more posts of mine, Like this.

+points for hinata but you lose them right away fro avatar. Although if avatar was an ironic inclusion you're my new forum husbando sorry charry*.

Alakazam17

[b]Long time no see![/b]
    Years
  • I included it back then because I counted it as anime due to it being animated in South Korea, Though I wouldn't include it today because now I know better.

I also intentionally spelled Yugioh wrong as I would also count it among the worst anime I've watched. Though this is largely to spite my little brother who loves it. xD

pkmin3033

Madoka was a e s t h e t i c and w i d e so it's at least better than some stuff.
    You don't sprinkle glitter on dog shit and say that it's at least better than other dog shit because it now has glitter on it. Put your foot in it and it's still fucking nasty stuff. That's basically Madoka's aesthetic. A little extra glitter.

pkmin3033

It seems I'm not the edgiest user here any more.
    It's edgy to dislike a series now? OK then.

I can see your point, I just don't agree with it, at all. I personally am not impressed by aesthetics when the quality of the writing is just so unbearably poor that it makes absolutely no difference whatsoever.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
  • @ lipstick

Re: Himegoto.

Hell, no I'm NOT joking. I also didn't find it very funny at all that they were abusing the main character and forcing him to crossdress against his will like that. It's in poor taste.

Also, "trap" is a derogatory word and I'm done with this conversation as you have p/oed me.

Back