• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

When did your favorite series become your favorite?

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Mar 22, 2024
    Everyone has that one video game series or franchise they consider themselves a huge fanboy/fangirl of - did you love it instantly from the very first game of the series that you picked up, or was there a certain game down the line that just really stood out to you? Tell us what makes your favorite series so special to you!

mannakete

exec hymme Holy=Judgment sos yor
    Years
  • Pokemon was important the minute I picked it up. I never stopped with it.

Tales of became important after I finished the final battle against [Redacted] in the final dungeon. It was just so so good... And after I finished Symphonia and truly grasped at Colette's character. That's also when she became important to me.

So, Pokemon immediately and Tales after 3 games lol (I played Vesperia right before Symphonia)

Years
  • Pokémon, Digimon, and Megaman(NT & Starforce) are all series I loved from the very beginning. I got into all three of them from their respective animes and then the video games. Unlike with Digimon and Megaman, my first Pokémon games were actually spin-offs like Colosseum and Pokémon Channel. Both of those titles were really memorable for me and I spent countless hours playing them over and over lol. I'm pretty certain that they were the clinchers in getting me to branch out into the main series and try the other spin-offs. Most of my favorite games come from the Pokémon series.

Digimon World Dusk and World DS are both tied in terms of which is my favorite game. Dusk was the first Digimon game I played, but DS was the first one I beat. I really enjoyed the plots, gameplay, and other elements they both offered with the highlight of DS getting to go up against Chronomon DM. DNA Bancho Leomon was tiring but enjoyable. I have to say RizeGreymon and Machinedramon were my top favorites in both games.

Monster Hunter and Transformers are relatively new to me game wise. I've been a long time fan of the Transformers TV series though. I got started with MH4U and am currently playing MH3U as well. So far, I like both games a lot and hope to play the series for a long time

Garison

The Grey Waves
    Years
    • Seen Jan 28, 2017
    If it would count, I say SSB. I heard about it before, but only because I knew that Sonic was in it, other than that I knew nothing about it. One day, my friend told me about it, and I acknowledged that I knew about him, and it was then it happened.......he decided to bring over Brawl for us to play. We were trying to unlock Sonic for my sake, but we never got around to that. However, I did end up having a blast even though I onlyplayed Mario when I was able to. The only other times is when I was forced into a Kirby battle (yeah, don't ask :p), and when my friend made me use Pit against my will (which was ironic, as he is now my favorite smasher), as well as various other instances in the SSE when mario was unplayable. It has been over a year since I played it last, but now I have way more characters that I liked.

If you mean stand-alone series, then I got competition with Fire Emblem and Kid Icarus Uprising (though i ever played the latter) both which were introduced to me by SSB4. I was onto the latter, after I was captivated by Pit's new moveset, as well as himself as a character. The FE story is a bit longer. I heard of FE as Ike was one of my friends favorite smashers, as well as the first one I have seen him use. I think what got me into fire emblem was the inclusion of Robin and Lucina. I had no interest in either of them as characters, but I was a bit curious about. I read more about the game and thought this is the fantasy game I have been looking for. Later, I started watching other people play FE on youtube, and found it very cool. Later, I found a hacked version of Fire emblem 8 and 7 for my tablet. You do the rest of the math.

Wooh, my thumbs hurt. (:p no not really)

Judge Mandolore Shepard

Spectre Agent
    Years
  • I think the moment that the Mass Effect series became a favorite series of mine was when I first saw Tali for the first time in the first Mass Effect game.

As for the Final Fantasy series, well it was after the first time I played Final Fantasy IV.

Now for the KotOR games, well they became favorites of mine after a certain reveal in the first game.

blue

gucci
    Years
  • Pokemon was my favourite from the start, it just engaged me so much and has done for all these years. I have other series that I enjoy playing, but I just know I'll always have a strong interest for Pokemon games.

Nolafus

Aspiring something
    Years
  • I don't think there was ever a moment where Mass Effect was one of my favorite series, and then it all of a sudden became my favorite. I didn't really appreciate the entire franchise until after I beat it. Once I was done and realized that there was nothing else for me to do, I just had to reflect what I had been playing through on and off for the past few months, and it became my favorite over the time that I had played it.

As far as pokemon goes, it became one of my favorites almost immediately. I picked up Black for the first time, and had never played anything like it, so I continued. Once I beat the game, I had to get into the competitive metagame, and I'm still playing today.

Lunalie

Years
  • Starcraft became my favorite Game series when I was about 5 or 6ish. My dad would always let me sit in his lap and let me watch him play (He wasn't the most responsible dad when he was young). Anyway I was completely fascinated by the game, Unlike the educational games they let me play before hand. I slowly started to notice what building built what units and what icons did what, I never really said anything about it but I was slowly learning how to play the game.

After what had to be months of me watching him play this game he let me give it a try, I still remember the mission he first let me try on, It was Norad II, the mission where you save Edmund Duke from his crash site. I remember knowing how to control the camera *Albeit struggling with it a bit*, Train marines, Tell SCVs to mine minerals, and then send said marines to their deaths via some local sunken colonies.

It took awhile for him to finally let me play it on my own (Back then being an M rated game and all) but I must have impressed him quite a bit because he let me play it much sooner than he probably should have. To this day it remains one of my favorite games, I must have completed the campaign six times.

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
  • It was pretty much love at first sight (first play?) for my top two favourite series, Kingdom Hearts and Tales of. For the former, I rented it along with a PS2 once and was enthralled just by the opening sequence because I'd never seen anything so gorgeously rendered. Of course, the incredible gameplay and story really helped too but I was definitely hooked from the moment the disc loaded. As for Tales, I started with Symphonia and I think my brother and I powered through 10-12 hours on the first day we had it because we fell in love with it so quickly. A lot of people on PC were raving about it and I wanted to see what the big deal was so I asked for it for Christmas and I was not disappointed. I owe a lot to both of those series--they're pretty much the main reasons I learnt + kept up with the Japanese language--because I can't be bothered waiting for localizations for either of them now.

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2019
    I pretty much loved the Warioware series the moment I finished the first game, but it took a while for me to realize that no other game game series brought me as much joy as Warioware did.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • I actually forced myself into what would later become my favorite series, haha. I went to my best friend's house when I was a kid and all he was talking about was Pokemon. I was angry cause I couldn't talk to him about it cause I didn't play it. At first, I was just gonna sit on the stairs and ignore him and wait on the phase to be over, but I remembering yelling at myself, "FINE!! I'll like Pokemon!" and for whatever reason, that angry start led to me still being obsessed with the series. :P

Years
    • She/Her
    • Seen Nov 16, 2023
    My favorite is Jet Set Radio. I wanted to try playing something probably not many people played or heard of. So I played it, and at first, I was really bad at it. But I kept playing it, and I got so much better at it, and within a few weeks, I beat the game. I kept replaying it too. Then a few months later, I picked up Jet Set Radio Future for the Xbox. That immediately became my favorite video game of all time. I just became obsessed with Jet Set Radio ever since. I sometimes play the GBA version too. Not many people played that one for sure.
    Despite the series only having 3 games, I still love Jet Set Radio!

Sonata

Don't let me disappear
    Years
  • I really liked Final Fantasy from the time that I played the demo for X. I spent countless hours just replaying the same two segments over and over trying to see just how much I could do in what little space there was for me to explore and I loved every bit of it. Everything about it just amazed me and I don't have any idea how many times I watched that opening sequence. It was my favorite game before I ever even actually bought the finished product. And once I did finally get it, nothing else could ever hope to compare again. Not too long after I managed to beat X, Advent Children came out and I rented it from Blockbuster and watched it until it wouldn't play anymore. Then one of my friends got I & II dawn of souls for their birthday but didn't really care for it, but knew how much I liked X so they gave it to me and then I ended up throwing weeks into playing the two everywhere I went. And then I got XII for christmas the year it came out or maybe the year after, and it just consumed me. Every year or every other year after that I got a final fantasy game and continued to replay the few that I had until X and XII no longer worked and I had to buy multiple replacements for them.

So much of my life has already been poured in to Final Fantasy that it's hard for it not to be my favorite.

Pokemon was the first game that I actually owned and I loved the shows as a kid and it all just went together. And now it's my second or third most favorite series.

Digimon I've loved ever since I first played Digimon World. I could never beat it because the training process was too complicated for me to understand as a little kid so my digimon always ended up pooping everywhere and turning into Sukamon or Numemon instead of the cool stuff that they should have, but I loved it anyways. And then I got Digimon card battle and spent months playing that just trying to get all the cards and figure out where to go and what to do half the time. The battle animations were really cool for the time and I liked the tv series almost as much as I liked the pokemon tv series. But lately the games have been lacking so it's down to about 3 or 4 on my favorites now :/

Frozen Lotus

Shay's Ice Prince
    Years
  • I'd say Pokemon, as a franchise, is high up there... but it's mostly everything to the franchise rather than just the games... and even then, while hugely important to me, I can't just blatantly say it's #1.

My favorite video game series of all time, though... is easily the Souls series. This became pretty likely the moment I first played Dark Souls, and was set in stone with Dark Souls II. Of all four games so far, I honestly only find one of them to be lacking in any considerable way, and that's still an excellent game.

Outside the Souls series, my favorite is probably Castlevania. It has the best average of good games of any series I've played, and there are a LOT of games going into that. That said... there are only two I really consider absolute 'favorites', and a small handful I consider... terrible.

Years
    • Seen Nov 14, 2023
    Pokemon, the moment I laid my hands on a Game Boy Advance and played through Pokemon Sapphire.

Street Fighter, the moment I became addicted to Street Fighter 4.

Smash Bros, the moment I played through Melee with all of my friends.

pkmin3033

I have a couple of candidates for my favourite series...Disgaea is the first one, but I don't think I was as enthralled by that series as I am now until I picked up the fourth game. I really, REALLY enjoyed the first one for its humour, but it took me a lot longer to come around to the gameplay which, at the time, was ridiculously hard for me. The games have very high entry barriers, and I was quite put out initially. By the time I picked up Disgaea 4 I was intimately familiar with the ins-and-outs of the series, and the cast was so much more engaging than the previous two. It sold me, once and for all, on the series.

The other is Star Ocean. This one is easier to pinpoint: when I picked up First Departure on my PSP. I loathed Till the End of Time, but I loved First Departure; it had gameplay similar to Tales of Eternia, which I'd also enjoyed, but felt more polished, and the cast was far better. The private actions and branching endings got me more involved with them, and the story itself was quite good as well. The Last Hope I loved as well; I was so excited for SO4, because I got the guide about a month before the game came out and spent the entire month reading it. I watched gameplay videos, pestered my American friends for details, and listened to the music constantly. It didn't leave my 360 for months once I got it, outside of when I needed to change discs. When it came out on PS3 I was even more excited. When SO5 was announced I went into hysterics. I LOVE this series.

Years
  • Final Fantasy becoming my favourite series probably would have been because of my older sister since during my childhood, I was unable to properly play video games, never mind comprehend the story, I would blankly watch her play video games. That happened frequently enough to build the foundation for my gaming hobby and I'm always grateful for her to have introduced them into my life.

Back on topic, although probably not the first Final Fantasy that I tried my hand at, Crisis Core was definitely my first ever completed game and that was a great accomplishment for my adolescent self. Prior to that installment though, I mostly tried the older ones including VIII and IX, but unfortunately became frustrated when I would constantly resort to using the walkthrough to progress so the PSP came into the picture. Gameplay-wise, though I was still young, I knew that RPGs were my calling; combination of the mechanics, system and graphics of them attracted my attention from my childhood through to adulthood. And with that, my love for RPGs developed, and since Final Fantasy is one of the longer running RPG series, it was only natural that I would follow it through its continued development and how it would integrate itself into current, and future, generations.

Wicked3DS

[b]Until the very end.[/b]
    Years
  • Pokémon was big for me when I got back into it around 2009 and especially so when I was finally able to get HeartGold. It's hard to explain why because I really don't know, I just really got into it and I'm glad that I did.

Back