• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Which Generation has the best starters?

Best Gen for starters?

• Total voters
Years
  • 2 by far. I absolutely adore them all and sometimes find it impossible to even pick a favorite from the trio. Gen 1 comes very close too though and not for nostalgia reasons - Bulbasaur, Charmander, and Squirtle are way cute. Other than that no other regional starter group screams to me as being "great."

Years
  • Since I grew up with the first Generation, the starters from there will always be my favourite, and on an equal standing would be those from Generation II.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    The Gen 3 starters are my favorite group, with Gens 1 and 6 more or less tied for 2nd place.

Least favorite generation of starters is Gen 5.

Azire

Mr. Premier Ball
    Years
    • Seen Dec 25, 2016
    I chose Gen 1. I this was expected by some but I have other reasons besides for it being my favorite Gen. The starters did help to make it my favorite Gen though. They are all reptiles which is cool. All of them are great to use. I still find uses for each on competitive teams today.

I have to say Gen 3 is my least favorite, again expected BUT the starters had a good impact on this being my least favorite Gen. It's bad when you can't pick a starter, not because they are all great but because they are all bad. Of course Blaziken became more useful when Hidden Abilities were released but before that? Not even the most used Fire/Fighting starter, because it sucks.

My second favorite Gen would have to be Gen 4. This was the first time since Gen 1 it was hard for me to pick a starter due to them all being pretty awesome.

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
  • They hit the ball out of the park with Gen VI. They're probably the most balanced set out of all six, and the fact that their design basis is Fighter/Mage/Thief motif you see in many traditional RPGs is simply brilliantly executed.

Silri

Kimono Girl
    Years
    • Seen Nov 26, 2018
    Heh, looks like both of my favorites are some of the least liked by most.

It's a tough call between Gen 2 & 5's starters for me. All of Gen 5's starters are awesome, with Tepig being my favorite by a mile. But Gen 2 wins out between the two because I have a hard time choosing between a starter whenever I play a Johto game. It might be partially nostalgia talking, but I like all of the Johto crew equally.The first stages are all adorable, the middle stages are pretty cool (minus Croconaw, his proportions seem odd), and the final forms being just plain awesome!

So Gen 2 has the best starters for me, with Gen 5 coming in a close second.

Least favorite starter set is Gen 3's, with 4's getting an honorable mention.

Apollo

怖がらないで
    Years
    • Seen Jul 22, 2017
    I love Gen 3's starters. Not just because of nostalgia (Treecko), but because they proved themselves to be strong as well (Mudkip). I also love how they were portrayed in the anime, particularly Torchic's. :)

Coming a close second is Gen 2, with Gen 4 being last.

Years
  • Favorite Generation of Starters?

1365045162628.png

Which Generation of Starters was your favorite and why?
    Charmander/Bulbasaur/Squirtle
    Cyndaquil/Chikorita/Totodile
    Torchic/Treecko/Mudkip
    Chimchar/Turtwig/Piplup
    Tepig/Snivy/Oshawott
    Fennekin/Chespin/Froakie

I personally like the 3rd Gen the best. They have the badass swift Reptile grass type that is really the only grass type I like. They have the Uber speed-boosting Blaziken that completely destroys. And, they have Swampert, the strong and bulky dual-typed water and ground type. How could you not love those?

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Just merging this with the existing thread on the same topic :3

RoreyG

Lizardon Man
    Years
  • tumblr_lbl12wo3Ip1qbe7n1o1_500.jpg

The 1st Gen Starters for me. Reason being:

1. Charizard; My favorite Pokemon, my oldest friend. Training a Charmander into a Charizard on my first play-through of Pokemon Red taught me responsibility, perseverance and hard work. As Charmander matured into a Charmeleon and then into a Charizard, I evolved into a stronger person. Charizard has become my own personal symbol of inner strength, and I will forever love him above all other Pokemon for that purpose.

2. Venusaur; He is an absolute POWERHOUSE. Outside of Charizard, I've never had more fun in using a Pokemon in my entire life. Venusaur is AMAZING!!!

3. Blastoise; It's a giant turtle with freaking cannons on its back. THAT'S AWESOME!!!

Last edited:

Elaitenstile

I am legend
    Years
    • Seen Feb 27, 2015
    It's a close tie between III Gen and IV Gen. III Gen because BLAZIKEN SWAMPERT SCEPTILE OMFG THEY ARE GODS and that the designs are real cool and stuff. Plus, I've played Ruby for so long I know what they're capable of.

Gen IV because all three starters had dual types, and useful ones at that. Torterra was really fun to take in-game, and Infernape was cool. Empoleon was real nice too. They were all really awesome, also because their main weaknesses were easily countered. It's just sad they copied Blaziken while making Infernape XD

Years
  • Generation 3 remains the only region in which I've used all three starters to beat the game with, so naturally that was my decision. However, Johto's three came dangerously close. My least favorite would probably be Generation IV. Not that they were terrible! None of them really stood out to me.

Years
  • I've got to say that the starters of generation II and IV were my favorites. Gen III is also good. and Gen VI. I give up! I like all of them! (But with gen V there was really only one starter that I liked. Gen VI was good, but I have to admit I was a little disappointed with the final evolutions when they first came out. I'm not anymore, but still…)

Universe

all-consuming
    Years
    • Seen Nov 17, 2016
    As soon as I saw this thread I literally went, "OH hands DOWN generation 6" outloud.

To me the starters of our current gen are absolutely perfect, specifically in their first stages. I honestly can't say much about the following stages because although they're nice, Fennekin and Chespin's lines are mediocre at best battle wise. Their appearances are all wonderful and charming, but our beloved grass and fire starters just weren't given a shot at greatness like Froakie's line.

Which sucks because they are amazing.

But hey I'm a humongous Froakie fan so I can't complain much about the current placement. :3c

Years
  • Generation 2 for me :)

I like all their first stages the best of any of the groups and have used all of them at least once. There's also some nostalgia as they were the first starters I was able to choose from in a handheld game, and Feraligatr was the highest Pokémon I've ever levelled up (even though Typhlosion is my fave of the three) :) Also was a fan of each of their personalities when they were introduced in the anime for the first time :)

Back