• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Which has the weakest storyline?

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
Years
  • While X and Y's story isn't that great, I think it's funny that people say it's the worst when Hoenn games exist (lolmoreland, lolmoresea). Maybe the remakes will refresh their minds. ^^

Kanto's story was fine, because it was minimalistic and it just worked. It was from a different era, when stories didn't matter as much as gameplay. Back then, "completing the Pokédex" and "winning the Pokémon league" was enough. Johto also had a good, minimalistic story.

Candy

[img]http://i.imgur.com/snz4bEm.png[/img]
    Years
  • To be honest, despite Kanto being lacking in story (it's the first gen, deal with it), it actually has its charms. It was simple, and made to attract people into the Pokemon world. Plus, the other regions are more into world-changing, while Team Rocket was in it for the moolah (they're all power-hungry anyway). Plus, your rival does something and became the champion.

Kalos' story however... Rivals were lacking. Team Flare were lacking. Characters were mostly flat (excluding Malva imo). Everything else was lacking. Diantha didn't have any role in the story at all, aside from being the champion and a wanderer(?), and after having 5 generations of champion involvement in the game. It couldn't keep up with my high expectations from the 5th gen, and even if you put the previous gens away, it's still terrible. The others had such a story that still stuck to me even after years of not playing, but XY? It hasn't even been a year and I still can't remember a lot of things about the story, because they never struck me before.

Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2022
    B/W's story was probably my least favourite. It was probably the most fleshed out but that doesn't matter when all the characters are either dull stereotypes or fanficcy asshats. The twist with Ghetsis completely killed everything. I liked how they made a Pokémon version of PETA but making it just be a façade for yet another take over the world plot utterly bites. Also N is a annoying little **** who spouts exposition and begs for you to stop abusing pokémon... then you have a pokémon battle with him. <_<

It's true they tried something different with B/W's story, but it's so poorly written I can't possibly like it.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
  • R/S/E and X/Y are tied in this regard. In both, there's way too much over-the-top unrealistic stuff that just makes me want to roll my eyes and wonder what the writers were thinking. In R/S/E, you had a couple of radical environmentalist groups who wanted to change the very face of the planet. Yeah, that's real reasonable [/sarcasm]. I will give some credit to Team Magma though, at least they noted that Hoenn had too much water and sought to rectify the issue. Team Aqua, though, was completely off its rocker. HOENN HAS ENOUGH WATER! IT DOESN'T NEED MORE OF IT!

As for X/Y, when they were first revealed, Team Flare appeared like they would appear to be a mafia/gangster organization in the vein of a modernized Team Rocket. Nope, they turned out to be a bunch of oddballs obsessed with their suits while having no clue that their crackpot leader had plans involving some ancient buried doomsday device. And do I even need to mention that the very idea of some guy who is still living after 3,000 years is itself facepalm-worthy?

Of course, though, it's the group of idiots that constantly annoy and stalk you throughout X/Y who truly ruin their storyline. As I pointed out in a recent story for the Get-Together, people IRL aren't that overbearing and "aggressively nice" unless there's some ulterior motive behind it (i.e., they're trying to soften you up to get you to give them something or join their group - think investment scams and/or religious cults.) Having to deal with that terrible foursome ruined X/Y's storyline before Team Flare even showed up.

Attempts to artificially inject "feels" into X/Y also fall flat on their face.

R/B might have had a simple plot, but at least Team Rocket's goal of making a profit through criminal means was rooted in some semblance of reality.

Last edited:
    Years
  • Agreeing with those who've stated RGBY has the weakest plot. That being said, since RGBY's the first set of games, a decent plot shouldn't be expected; plus, there are people who prefer simplistic/more realistic plots. However, compared to most of the others, its plot isn't as interesting and is rather dull. Admittedly, the extension to the plot FRLG provides makes it much better, but I still feel it's not as good as the other storylines.

I also feel that Ruby and Sapphire--Sapphire in particular--had rather weak storylines. For one thing, Team Magma's and Aqua's goals weren't that great. Aqua's is especially silly because of the water cycle:

Spoiler:

Also, even if Team Aqua did find a way to expand the sea, most of the Pokemon wouldn't be able to survive, and even the people may have a difficult time surviving, so it's sort of self-sabotage.

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
    Years
  • X and Y was an ambitious story that didn't work because it's not done well. Still, some critics criticize it for silly reasons.

If Team Flare was just Team Rocket in nice suits, people would complain and say they're exactly that: Team Rocket in nice suits.

Team Flare Grunts don't know the plans of their leader. Well, neither did Team Galactic and Team Plasma grunts. I'm pretty sure the Team Galactic grunts didn't know Cyrus wanted to destroy the universe and recreate it. In fact, Cyrus himself states he lies to his grunts so they do his bidding, and they have no place in his ultimate goal. The Team Plasma guys, at least in the first game, are just a bunch of fanatics who think they're doing good. They serve N and have no idea Ghetsis is using them in his plot for world domination.

I'm pretty sure most people who criticize the X and Y story didn't understand what Lysandre's goal was, and how it actually relates to the real world in a way, with rich people wanting to clean poor and "dirty" people off the streets, and immigrants being treated like trash in the USA and Europe. Those are called "lazy" and "leechers", the same way Lysandre views the people not associated with him. A "beautiful world", like the one Lysandre wants to create, is restricted to a select few who are deemed "worthy". Ironically, Lysandre doesn't understand his goal too well, because he establishes a way of acceptance into Team Flare using the most shallow way imaginable: money. It's contradictory, considering Lysandre was, deep down, just a good person who lost faith in humanity.

And AZ being 3,000 years old... It's established in the game that he was cursed into living forever. The game explains it well, and I can't see anything wrong with it.

X and Y's story has great elements, on par with BW I'd say, the only problem is the execution.

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
    Years
  • Agreeing with those who've stated RGBY has the weakest plot. That being said, since RGBY's the first set of games, a decent plot shouldn't be expected; plus, there are people who prefer simplistic/more realistic plots. However, compared to most of the others, its plot isn't as interesting and is rather dull. Admittedly, the extension to the plot FRLG provides makes it much better, but I still feel it's not as good as the other storylines.

I also feel that Ruby and Sapphire--Sapphire in particular--had rather weak storylines. For one thing, Team Magma's and Aqua's goals weren't that great. Aqua's is especially silly because of the water cycle:

Spoiler:

Also, even if Team Aqua did find a way to expand the sea, most of the Pokemon wouldn't be able to survive, and even the people may have a difficult time surviving, so it's sort of self-sabotage.

The Team Magma goal also isn't possible because of the water cycle. If they tried to warm the planet to eliminate the water from the oceans, they'd just create endless rain and everything would remain the same. Actually, it would become worse for them because the ice caps would melt and many portions of land would submerge.

I'm actually surprised that guys who are presented in the game as "scientists" don't know about basic science. Then again, I guess the Pokémon world must have different rules from our own.

Years
  • I think it's easy to pick Kanto as it's the most simple but for me it's probably one of the best - the storyline of becoming League Champion while working your way up through the Gyms was always enough for me, with the evil team portion of it being a sort of bonus. Plus, the Champion is your rival, how great is that? :) You start off your journey together, in the same lab, and culminate it in an epic showdown to see which of the two of you is ultimately superior.

Don't get me wrong, I understand why people are picking it cause that probably seems boring in comparison to the plots we got afterwards (which were probably necessary actually to keep the games evolving, no pun intended haha) but I'm just throwing in my two cents :)

Johto also had a great plot imo, the intrigue of Silver alone would have been enough but the fact that you can travel to Kanto and face the protagonist of the previous game is incredible. Not to mention how Team Rocket were in this game - their plot to take over the Radio Tower was particularly memorable to me lol xD

I liked Hoenn because for the first time a Legendary was incorporated into the main storyline, which made things really exciting :) I know their plot was totally ridiculous, but that's kinda why I liked it; neither team's grunts came across as particularly threatening which provided some comic relief at times while the leader was the antithesis of that and reminded you that you were taking on an evil corporation (kinda like the Jessie-James-Giovanni relationship, which I personally enjoy although I know a lot of people like when every member is sinister, kinda more along the lines of Team Plasma). The only thing I didn't like was having Wally as your final challenge instead of Brendan/May, but I admire that they were at least trying with the two rival thing.

While there were some things I didn't like about Unova, such as Team Plasma's basis of people oppressing Pokémon when it's been well-established that Pokémon are partners and are treated more as friends than anything else, I enjoyed that they were still a threat even at the Elite Four stage, and that N has pipped you to the post which is quite refreshing and actually realistic; in a vast region you can't expect that your protagonist will be the only one to gain the Championship during the time you're playing :)

I guess then that my least favourite would be Kalos, as I wasn't entirely sure from start to finish what they were after. Yes Maxie and Archie were a little crazy lol but at least you knew their ideals from the start, whereas Lysandre (when I finally figured it out lol) wanting to wipe things out to create an ideal place kinda reminded me too much of Diamond/Pearl, so I guess because I can't help but make comparisons I'm picking Kalos as the weaker one because I enjoyed Team Galactic's Admins etc. more. Also I wasn't keen on AZ or the group of rivals - Calem was okay but the other three were too weak imo (I have a soft spot for Tierno though). I like the idea of setting off with a group of friends so I applaud them for that, after all it makes sense that more than just you and one other person in your town would come of age and set off on the journey at the same time, it's just a shame that the characters weren't very well executed (just my opinion) :)

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
  • Still, some critics criticize it for silly reasons.
    I appreciate your thinly veiled attack on my intelligence. No, I really do.

If Team Flare was just Team Rocket in nice suits, people would complain and say they're exactly that: Team Rocket in nice suits.
    Instead, they're Team Galactic in nice suits. Besides, I see nothing wrong with modeling a team after a team whose goals and premise actually made sense.

Team Flare Grunts don't know the plans of their leader. Well, neither did Team Galactic and Team Plasma grunts.
    "Team Rocket will find the fossils, revive and sell them for cash!" - Team Rocket Grunt
    "Being evil makes me feel so alive!" - Team Rocket Grunt

And yet it seems Team Rocket's grunts knew exactly what they were getting into.

And AZ being 3,000 years old... It's established in the game that he was cursed into living forever. The game explains it well, and I can't see anything wrong with it.
    Oh, that makes perfect sense now! After all, I encounter people who have been cursed into living forever just about every time I visit McDonald's! Last week, I think the old lady ahead of me in line cursed the cashier to eternal life because he messed up her order, in fact!

X and Y's story has great elements, on par with BW I'd say, the only problem is the execution.
    The stories of Bernie Madoff, Enron, and National Century Financial Enterprises have great elements (tax evasion, insider trading, Ponzi schemes). Most Pokemon games come across as bad fan fiction, even worse than anything I've ever thought up.

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
    Years
  • Ok let's go.

I appreciate your thinly veiled attack on my intelligence. No, I really do.

It wasn't an attack on you because 1) I didn't quote you; 2) I think I saw the same arguments you used being used by other people.

In any case I attacked your argument, not you. I didn't realize saying it was "silly" would make you feel so offended.

Instead, they're Team Galactic in nice suits. Besides, I see nothing wrong with modeling a team after a team whose goals and premise actually made sense.

I think the goal of Team Flare makes sense, but you're making the mistake of analyzing the goal by what the grunts say and not Lysandre. The grunts don't have any idea of what Lysandre really wants (at least from what I remember).

"Team Rocket will find the fossils, revive and sell them for cash!" - Team Rocket Grunt
    "Being evil makes me feel so alive!" - Team Rocket Grunt

And yet it seems Team Rocket's grunts knew exactly what they were getting into.

Team Rocket =/= Team Flare. Team Rocket's goal is actually as simple as it gets, so it's no wonder the grunts grasp it. But I'd say, from Team Galactic onwards, the grunts were just fools who had no idea what was going on.

Oh, that makes perfect sense now! After all, I encounter people who have been cursed into living forever just about every time I visit McDonald's! Last week, I think the old lady ahead of me in line cursed the cashier to eternal life because he messed up her order, in fact!

Immortality isn't such an outrageous concept. The game gives a nice explanation on how AZ became immortal. It's one of the cores of the story.

The stories of Bernie Madoff, Enron, and National Century Financial Enterprises have great elements (tax evasion, insider trading, Ponzi schemes). Most Pokemon games come across as bad fan fiction, even worse than anything I've ever thought up.

I agree, but it's a game, a game doesn't need good story to succeed. Pokémon thrives in a story-driven genre with average stories at best, but they're there just to give you some goal. The joy of the game is in assembling a Pokémon team and kicking ass with it.

Still, comparing real life with fiction is bad because real life is, well, real life. There are 7 billion people in the world, I'm sure there are at least a couple of real life stories more compelling than any book, let alone a game which isn't even supposed to have an award-winning story. And art often imitates real life as well.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
  • Taking your last point first because my perspective might help explain my thoughts:
    Still, comparing real life with fiction is bad because real life is, well, real life. .
    Sorry, but I do make this comparison. Been doing so for years. I'd rather any story err on the side of reality rather than introduce fantasy elements into the mix. Never cared for fantasy as a child, and I only watch it now when cute anime girls are involved. It's why the Team Rocket plot makes the most sense to me. And that's why I approach these games with the question, "Does this make sense in the real world?" in mind. Guess I'm hard-wired to think that way *shrugs* Heck, I've been arguing for Pokemon Centers to be replaced by national chain hotels for years.

I think I saw the same arguments you used being used by other people.
    As far as I can see, I'm the only one who pointed out Mr. Immortal (or Arizona, whichever name sounds cooler.)

I think the goal of Team Flare makes sense, but you're making the mistake of analyzing the goal by what the grunts say and not Lysandre. The grunts don't have any idea of what Lysandre really wants (at least from what I remember).
    No, I don't think their goal made sense because of ancient doomsday devices and creepy stones giving off the energy of the dead. Just like I didn't think N's castle in B/W made sense unless Team Plasma had a hell of a lot of huge, powerful hydraulic pistons to elevate the massive building above ground. And don't get me started on how the protagonist in R/S/E survived a ride in the back of a moving truck without being crushed or slammed against something en route to Littleroot - I could write an essay on that.

Team Rocket =/= Team Flare. Team Rocket's goal is actually as simple as it gets, so it's no wonder the grunts grasp it. But I'd say, from Team Galactic onwards, the grunts were just fools who had no idea what was going on.
    From my perspective, an evil group seems much more organized, cohesive, and ultimately threatening when everyone's on the same page and knows the mission and goal. It's hard to take any of the later teams seriously because of the clueless underlings.

Immortality isn't such an outrageous concept. The game gives a nice explanation on how AZ became immortal. It's one of the cores of the story.
    Again, I'm approaching this from a "that doesn't occur in real life" position, simply because that's my preference for entertainment. The idea of the Arizona dude works for most of the members here. It doesn't for me. Personally, I just couldn't immerse myself in the story after he was introduced.

I agree, but it's a game, a game doesn't need good story to succeed. Pokémon thrives in a story-driven genre with average stories at best, but they're there just to give you some goal. The joy of the game is in assembling a Pokémon team and kicking ass with it.
    Exactly. Which is why Team Rocket worked so well (Keep It Simple). And why I don't see the point of these "morally questionable" teams - I just want to beat the crap out of wave after wave of enemy grunts, not hear the boss go on some extended rant about his grandiose plot and how it will actually help instead of hurt. If anything, the Pokemon games need more "For your insolence, you will feel a world of pain!" and less "You fought over the Mega Ring, just like in the future too many people will fight over limited resources and war will erupt and it will be ugly."

And yes, I'd much prefer a mindless action movie/show instead of something deep and philosophical. I like the line between good and evil clearly defined instead of being in a gray zone.

But what I really want is a Pokemon game with an evil team that lets me unleash my inner financial crime investigator.

Finally, it's the stupid "rivals" that REALLY killed the plot of X/Y for me. Compared with the terrible foursome's constant annoyance, Team Flare was just a group of insane nutjobs that I kinda enjoyed beating up.

Years
  • I must say, with all these people talking about how unrealistic the newer plots are, world domination doesn't mean much in some of the newer games. Sure there are some people in these worlds that can talk about previous regions like they've been there, but these places are pretty isolated from each other. For example, Ghetsis' plan for world domination probably just included Unova. In such a small, isolated world, with little to no political leadership or preventing force, a radical's plan is much more realizable.

Let's just analyze Cyrus' plan for a minute. Cyrus' plan was arguably the most unbelievable with the whole destroy and create a new universe, but in a world with monsters that can manipulate time, space, and the fabrics of the universe that can be captured and manipulated by a ten year old kid, and no political institution that says a person can't use these Pokémon in this way, pretty much any nutjob can go out and do something like that with very few people that can actually stop him. And Lysandre's plan too is something that can happen fairly easily. Lysandre's whole doomsday device could have simply been an atomic weapon.

These villains in the Pokémon world are just radicals who are presented with the means of achieving their radical goals. RSE's plot imo was the most believable post gen II plot because there are actually radical groups that oppose each other. In a world like one presented in these games, it's surprising that more radical groups don't coexist.

I think the least believable parts of these games are where all the henchmen come from. In RBY, 391 people exist in Kanto (data from Bulbapedia), and 50 of those people (they might not actually contribute to the total population found on Bulbapedia, so it might bring up the total to 441) are either Rocket Grunts or Scientists that work for team Rocket. In either case, that means that over 10% of the population of Kanto works for Team Rocket. I mean seriously, Giovanni must have been really good at recruiting people. It hardly even seems like a secret organization if there are that many people who joined. This is less substantial in later games where the number of total people is larger, but it still makes you wonder where all of these people are coming from.

Now so I can actually answer the question, the last two generations of games had the weakest plots. BW(2) had very well developed plots, but it seems like they were trying to put in dark plots while still trying to keep the game childish, as well as challenging the very things that make Pokémon, well, Pokémon. For the former point, games like Earthbound have succeeded at this in the past, but making animal abuse the main point and trying to aim it for kids, that combination simply does not work. And that brings me to my second point: you can't just challenge yourself by saying that Pokémon are being abused by battling and never have them come back and say that its not true. While I agree that PETA's Pokémon Black & Blue was just stupid and way over the top, Pokémon's messages in these games kind of set themselves up for that kind of criticism. As far as Pokémon X & Y, Pokémon is well developed enough at this point to avoid the shallowness found in XY. Basically its what everyone else is saying about them. And don't even get me started about your friends. Good idea, but its riddled with unnecessary exposition, explanation of things you already know, cutscenes, and battles (who thought it was a good idea to make you fight three in a row and be able to sweep all of them with one Pokémon when you've trained six without grinding).

I just realized how long this was, so I'll just put this here:

tl;dr, all the villains actually make sense, Gen V + VI have the worst plots/villains.

Hero of Twilight

Rest in Peace Iwata.
    Years
    • Seen Mar 5, 2016
    what is even the point of the Kanto Story? Team Rocket is just like a side attraction, but there really isn't a story imo

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
    Years
    • Seen Sep 17, 2018
    Gold and Silver were really weak. It was just Team Rocket again, but with less impact. What even did they do besides take over the Radio Tower and sell Slowpoke tails? Lol.

Second weakest was probably Gen I for the same reason. Team Rocket just never really impressed me with the whole "steal yo Pokémon" deal. The other teams who were doing more colossal damage seemed more villain worthy.

Years
  • For me Kanto, Johto and Kalos had the most boring storylines in Pokemon history. I don't know about B/W much, because I didn't play the whole game, but I didn't like the plot here as well. When I was playing FR/LG/ HG or SS, I didn't even pay attention to plot much, I just wanted to have a decent team and beat the game. On X/Y the only good thing in the plot was AZ, scenes with him touched my heart a little. The rest was just a basic hero/heroine and evil organization story.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    I hate to say it, since I love Johto and the pokémon and areas and all, but Gold/Silver/Crystal definitely had the weakest storyline. It was just about TR popping up, and rather weakly so, and some legendary pokémon to be captured. Was there even a proper storyline? Not at all like when TR took over Kanto or when you always seemed to have some destination to reach in Hoenn.

Mind you, I haven't tried the Kalos games.

Years
    • Seen Dec 19, 2022
    RBG are what a Pokemon game is really all about IMO battle all the gym leaders to get to the Elite 4 and Champion, while trying to get all the badges you encounter Team Rocket, the Marowak in Lavender Town makes the story of RBG very good on its own. Then the champion is also your rival, that's a great story and there being 151 Pokemon completing the Pokedex doesn't seem impossible (except for Mew). Having to beat Team Rocket to get to battle 8th gym leader gives the only real purpose for having to beat Team Rocket but it is interesting to do.

Gold/Silver didn't exactly have a memorable story (I played through SoulSilver less than a month ago, honestly remember nothing other than battling Team Rocket in Goldenrod and Slowpoke Well) but the games had a great adventure which is part of the story in a lot of ways, going through Jhoto and Kanto to get 16 badges takes a long time then being able to get to the top of Mount Silver to battle Red, also good game.

Ruby/Sapphire and Emerald had great stories about the legendary Pokemon Groudon/Kyogre and the teams goals with them. I am not sure why people don't like this story. Using Dive for the first time to get to a team's base was incredible (at the time) and I remember this maze in the base that involves using Strength which I used to struggle with no end, can do it now no problem, must have been stupid when I was a kid or something.

I never played Diamond or Pearl, played Platinum though. I liked the story of helping Mesprit/Azelf/Uxie after they were captured by Team Galactic where you travel all over the place to battle the Admins(or whatever they were called if not Admins) and then going to the other dimension thing with Cynthia to stop/catch Girantina and Cyrus.

Black and White 2 had the joint worst story IMO (along with XY) helping Hugh get a Liepard back is just uninteresting I don't know if anyone in the world would care. I also found fighting Team Plasma a second time to just be boring and uninspiring. However I think Black and White were the worst games from the series but the story in BW2 was the worst with XY.

XY is just a game that has been made before in terms of story (was predicable) great improvements in terms of battling mechanics (except for Knock Off), online capabilities, character customization and graphics though.

Years
  • In regards to X/Y:

Lysandre came off as insane and making no sense. It was because nowhere in the game does it actually show why he lost faith in humanity and needing to cleanse the world and destroy all Pokemon. Everybody's happy-go-lucky in Kalos. Every second house you go into some person is happy with their Pokemon. So there was this big disconnect. Yes his motivations reflect the crisises of the real world but in relation to the game world it made absolutely no sense. Only Lysandre's grunts are causing all the problems, so he comes off as hypocritical. He had the potential of being a pretty interesting character, almost did, but fell flat mainly because of this I think.

AZ was very underutilized. We barely saw him nor was he really terribly involved with the overall story arc. His story was pretty much all dumped exposition at the last leg of the game. His ending was touching and all but this guy just popped out of nowhere and somehow we're supposed to have an emotional investment in him.

Otherwise you're pretty much right OP, there was decent story in there but not so well executed. Even with that, Gold/Silver still had the weakest storyline, agree with others.

Years
  • Some have brought up some good points in regards to Kanto being the weakest in terms of it's story line, but consider a few things...

1. It was the first set of Pokemon games released back in 1998 in the US.

2. For most kids around that time, the main focus was "catching them all" and "becoming a Pokemon Master". Team Rocket was a simple, yet effective way to help Red achieve that goal.

3. Having not played anything past Generation III, I'm not qualified to speak on their story lines. Yet, Kanto's sticks out in my mind mainly because my objective didn't center around a story line like today's games do. It was about catching Pokemon, learning moves, type-advantages, evolutions and trading.

I understand people in 2014 expect more from a Pokemon game (god, I feel old), but I don't think Kanto should be disregarded simply because it was lacking a deep story line. What it lacked in a story, it made up for in it's innovation and getting young kids to understand what it meant to train a certain Pokemon and then raise it to eventually beat your rival.

With that in mind, I think those who say that Kanto's story line is weak have a valid point. However, it comes with the caveat that it was the pioneer for future Pokemon games and laid down the foundation to which the successors would follow in terms of battles, capturing, evolving, and trading. Sure, Gamefreaks has added to the formula, yet it hasn't strayed too far off the path of Kanto's simple principle of catching them all.

That was the main premise of the games back then. Today? Not so much.

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Online now
    Some have brought up some good points in regards to Kanto being the weakest in terms of it's story line, but consider a few things...

1. It was the first set of Pokemon games released back in 1998 in the US.

2. For most kids around that time, the main focus was "catching them all" and "becoming a Pokemon Master". Team Rocket was a simple, yet effective way to help Red achieve that goal.

3. Having not played anything past Generation III, I'm not qualified to speak on their story lines. Yet, Kanto's sticks out in my mind mainly because my objective didn't center around a story line like today's games do. It was about catching Pokemon, learning moves, type-advantages, evolutions and trading.
    I think you've forgotten, the most important point: the Gen 1 and 2 games were designed with an open world concept in mind. At a certain point, you could choose where you want to go. You could get the flute, beat Koga, get Surf, beat Blane, catch Zapdos and then beat Surge, etc. (high emphasis on creating your own game/exploration)
    Same with the Jotho games.

Of course that comes with a major drawback. Since the developers don't know where you go first, they had to cut the story short and just put it at the most important points in the games so that the player gets reminded every now and then that there actually is a story.

But GF realized that there are way more players who want to play the games for the story than for the open world it provides and in favor for a better story they had to reduze the agency up to a point where the games became mostly linear. (high emphasis on how you experience the game/observation)

As for me: weakest plot was Gen 1, 2 and 6

Back