• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Which Is better Offense or Defense ?

Which one is better Offense or Defense?

• Total voters

Calem

Water Pokemon Master
    Years
    In Pokemon Game, all the wild/trainer Pokemon can be Offensive (Have high Attack or Sp.Attack etc...) or Defensive (High Def or Sp.Def etc...) it's depending on their *Nature*. I was just wandering about this while i'm playing Pokemon Black 2, and i want to ask you guys to choose which one is better! ;)

PS.If you can, please tell me which personality is the best
    Thanks~

* = Edited

Last edited:

stp

ShootThePuck
    Years
    Actually, offense and defense are based on base stats, not personalities. Personalities (I'm assuming you mean natures, like Rash or Calm) simply dictate a + and - in specific stats, but all Pokemon have max stats.

Offense is generally better than defense, though.

Altair1

Willpower
    Years
    Invincibility lies in defense, possibility of victory lies in offense. I'd say offense is better.
    For your personality question, different natures suit different Pokemon.
    A Chandelure for example has high Special Attack, so a Modest nature would boost it's already high Special Attack while lowering it's already low Attack stat.

Sirfetch’d

I am a bigger fan of offense because I find it easier to build an offensive team and be successful. However, I don't think one is necessarily better than the other. I think both are equally great and you need a little bit of both on your team.

Danny0317

Fluorite's back, brah
    Years
    • Age 24
    • Seen Nov 19, 2023
    I would definitely go with offence. My team is full of fast and strong Pokemon like Weavile, Zangoose, Zoroark, etc. It's good to have a defensive pokemon but I'm full offense.

Name

Moémon Master
    Years
    The best defense is a good offense.
    This is true in most battle-type situations.
    IF you are able to lay down a barrage of assault, even the best defense will wind up cracking.
    Adamant nature is the best for physical attack
    Modest nature is best for special attack.

Calem

Water Pokemon Master
    Years
    Invincibility lies in defense, possibility of victory lies in offense. I'd say offense is better.
    For your personality question, different natures suit different Pokemon.
    A Chandelure for example has high Special Attack, so a Modest nature would boost it's already high Special Attack while lowering it's already low Attack stat.

Actually, offense and defense are based on base stats, not personalities. Personalities (I'm assuming you mean natures, like Rash or Calm) simply dictate a + and - in specific stats, but all Pokemon have max stats.

Offense is generally better than defense, though.

Thanks for telling me that it's supposed to be Nature not Prsonality :)

Last edited:
    Years
    Offense and defense work together with one-another, so it doesn't really matter for me.. but I went with Offense because of the fact that battles are all about getting your enemy defeated, and the primary way to get that accomplished is to well, attack them with offense!

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    Both of them are equally as good, in my opinion. If you have a defensive team, then you'll get the chance to survive for as long as possible and stall your opponent. If you're using an offensive team, you will be able take your opponent's Pokémon down quicker and end the battle. I tend to rely more on defense, though, because I'm better at utilizing defensive teams. =)

Last edited:

Flushed

never eat raspberries
    Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    I think in-game, a lot of people would agree that offense is probably the better choice. In general, I guess it depends on your playstyle. I'd say being able to have a balance between both is optimal, but honestly, I love offense.

tsubaki9

Send the dead back to dead!
    Years
    I think both of them are good.
    If our Pokemon has them both, it's invincible.
    I mean, we can take down opponent's Pokemon in no time and opponent's Pokemon can't take down our Pokemon easily.

Orifiel

Priestess
    Years
    If you combine both of it.
    Your Pokemon is at strongest rate. But I'll go with offense, because my priority when I'm playing Pokemon games. Is to finish the game by defeating everyone who gets in my way. But you really have no choice but to battle those trainers at all.

KnockFan

Just a Beginner ...
    Years
    • Seen Nov 30, 2013
    I would say Offense is pretty dominant in general for Pokemon games.

Years
    Since this is mostly a voting thread, I'm going to move this over to Pokemon Voting Polls.

And I think that it's tough to answer whether offense or defense is more important. In-game, there's no question that offense is better, since you can beat a majority of trainers fairly quickly with strong attacking Pokemon. In a more competitive environment, though, it really depends on your team and preferred battle style. Personally, I like to draw out battles at times, so I rely more on a defensive team. But- a good offensive strategy could easily wipe that out, which is why I'd say offense is more important, even if it isn't the way I usually battle.

MOVED.

Years
    • she/her
    • Seen May 23, 2023
    Offense and defense work best when they're together. A balanced team copes better than one focused on just recklessly attacking or one that plans to just drag out battles while rarely attacking. Taunt could just shutdown defense teams completely unless they carry Pokemon to back them up. Either way in-game wise, offense is arguably the better option. I don't think stalling out a Bidoof would be good fun and while its more challenging, it's just frustrating. Plus entry hazards can't be exactly used in the same way as in a competitive environment, the opponent is not guaranteed to switch being an AI. And what happens if there's a steel-type and no other Pokemon? I suppose you could Will-o-Wisp and stall it out or just pick at it with a few attacks but it wouldn't be particularly fun. Offense is the better option here.

Competitive really depends. Everyone has different opinions. Personally I like both but I think offense is more to my style. I don't like dragging out battles or I don't really have the patience. Instead of offense/defense, I like to focus on gimmicky movesets and the surprise factor. It works quite well but yeah I think my vote goes to offense, competitive and in-game. :p

Calem

Water Pokemon Master
    Years
    Since this is mostly a voting thread, I'm going to move this over to Pokemon Voting Polls.

And I think that it's tough to answer whether offense or defense is more important. In-game, there's no question that offense is better, since you can beat a majority of trainers fairly quickly with strong attacking Pokemon. In a more competitive environment, though, it really depends on your team and preferred battle style. Personally, I like to draw out battles at times, so I rely more on a defensive team. But- a good offensive strategy could easily wipe that out, which is why I'd say offense is more important, even if it isn't the way I usually battle.

MOVED.

Thanks for moving the thread to the Pokemon Voting Polls Sections ;). I really appreciate it!

Ayselipera

I tend to lean on offense. I like to play the whole game by going into a battle, hitting hard, and leaving it as soon as possible. So high attack stats and a high speed stat is generally what I look for in at least one of my Pokemon on my team. For a while now though I've been incorporating Pokemon with much higher defensive stats.

Back