• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Which old game is the best to replay for you?

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Gen 2. It has a comfortable and warm aesthetic for me. Level curve and flaws regardless. I just find the whole generation pleasing.

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Seen today
    I like replaying gens 1 and 2. They're just comparatively fast and easy enough so that grinding isn't much of an issue. I think FRLG are also pretty good in that regard. On the other hand I recently tried replaying Emerald but it just feels so slow... <_<

AceTrainerMax

Cooltrainer
    Days
    • Seen Jun 15, 2024
    Fire Red used to be my favourite to replay, but I've since played HeartGold and it's amazing.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    I think that the ones I've replayed the most are like Ruby/Sapphire and HGSS, for whatever reason

Setsuna

♡ I hope the world~
    Years
    I'll always be biased towards Platinum since I consider it my favourite game of all time, but any mainline games between Gens III-V are lots of fun to replay. They're games I know really well and can always feel comfortable with, but (usually) have enough Pokemon in the dex to where I can make an interesting team of Pokemon I've never used before.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
    Leaf Green is usually my choice, as it's the best of the remake games and is usually a relatively quick playthrough when compared to some other Pokemon games. It helps that I have two copies of the ggame so I can keep save data in one while restarting the second one.

Plus, I'll never turn down the chance to step into the shoes of my beloved Leaf-chan :)

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Hard to say. I personally just can't get back to the pre-physical/special split era, so that discards all the gen 1-3 games for me.

Gen 4 has the problem of being too slow and the excess of HM. I couldn't bear replaying those if it's not on an emulator with the 60 fps unlock.

And Gen 5... well, I'm not a fan of its animated sprites and 2.5d style, and I didn't like B&W limited to just Unova Pokémon.

So I'd say USUM (if those count as "old"), they have most modern QoL, Fairy type, great Pokémon variety, and I found them pretty fun to replay.

Otherwise, either Platinum or B&W2.

Years
    Gen 6 (especially XY) is very replayable to me. A lot of the older games have a problem where there are only a handful of Pokemon available until a few badges in; which either forces you to use those handful of picks, leading to a similar experience each time. Or delay team building until the game opens up, which makes the first few hours an even more boring slog then they usually are.

ORAS and XY on the other hand give you tons of options right out of the gate, which allows for a far greater variety of playstyles without having to wait 3/4 of the team to actually catch the Pokemon you want. It also helps that they're both super easy, which makes pretty much any team/strategy viable without grinding.

Back