• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen Who do you register on your PokeGear?

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    Every time I play GSC, I find myself always registering the same people. I always register Schoolboy Alan, Picknicker Gina, and Lass Dana, since they can find elemental stones. And there's a Fisher that finds Water Stones, but I don't know his name. I know him on the map if I see him, and I register him too. And then sometimes some other people. But literally, it's always them. So do you find yourself always registering the same people as well?

Years
    • Seen Jul 2, 2023
    When I first played, I just registered random people, then had to delete some of them. Now I register the ones who tell me about hordes, the ones who give out stones or free items (I think that's only in Crystal and the newer games, though, not G/S), and maybe a couple with high-leveled Pokemon near the end of the game who I can battle a lot.

The first trainer I registered on my first playthrough was Bug Catcher Wade, and I still like to register him, for old time's sake. Since playing HGSS and realizing how annoying it is not being able to remove phone numbers, though, I've cut back on how many I store in both the older games and the remakes.

tokyodrift

[i]got me looking for attention[/i]
    Years
    • Age 30
    • he/him
    • Seen Mar 8, 2024
    On my first run, I'm pretty sure I registered everyone. It was helpful since I needed a bit of grinding done as well. In playthroughs after, I only registered Schoolboy Alan, Picknicker Gina, and Lass Dana, and Fisher Tully (though that was only his name in Crystal).

Years
    • Seen Jun 20, 2016
    You need those people for two reasons. A. To have people in the game with level up pokemon to battle. Some of them you keep battling and there levels will rise as you keep battling them.

B. You also need them in order to find the Shineys when the "hordes" are around. Along with items.

Seriously this system was preparing you for the cellphone service but that was only in japan.

Years
    Schoolboy Chad (aka Professor Oak's Fanboy), Picnicker Liz, and a Bird Keeper on Route 44 (I forgot his name). Nobody in Kanto, since I'd always run out of room in my Pokegear before getting there.

Never Youngster Joey. I made that mistake once, and after deleting him, I refused to ever add him again, even in the remakes.

BlissyMKW

Rawr
    Years
    When I'm not doing solo runs, I normally just register Youngster Joey because "top percentage of Rattatas." Although, during solo runs, because I'm normally holding down the speedup button, I tend to avoid registering anyone just to help get the game done faster.

Years
    • Seen Nov 1, 2016
    Joey (Top % Rattata)
    Liz (The first I ever received a phone number from)
    Anthony (Because of dat early Machamp at Level 18)
    Gina (Bulba Girl + stones)
    Alan (Was really good for grinding + stones)
    Dana (Ampharos for my dex, + stones)
    Chad (Was Oak 3.0 before Birch ever was)

Flower

✿ flower keeper ✿
    Years
    Schoolboy Alan, Youngster Joey, Picnicker Gina, Lass Dana, Fisher Tully, Hiker Anthony, and Bug Catcher Arnie— from what I recall— were the ones I registered. ^ ^ I just registered randoms for the last three spots in my phone, hah.

Limey-chan

Batzu
    Years
    Normally just the swarm watchers, though in Crystal I registered the trainers who give you free evolution stones.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen May 11, 2023
    Usually I forget to register anyone until I reach this one girl in the area that you catch Mareep before Azelea Town (Picnicker Gina I think?) and then I forget again after her. Not sure why she always makes me remember but my phone book is apparently all hers!

Back