• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Who do you think is Ash's best rival?

The Void

hiiiii
    Years
    Title says it all, really. Anyway, I pick Paul. Because he's cool and strong and (says a Latin adjective which you guys wouldn't understand anyway so I put it in parenthesis; see?).

tough

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Dec 20, 2011
    Title says it all, really. Anyway, I pick Paul. Because he's cool and strong and (says a Latin adjective which you guys wouldn't understand anyway so I put it in parenthesis; see?).
    Paul was an okay rival and strong.Paul wasn't the greatest rival ever but he was ok not perfect in anyway.

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
    Years
    Gary Oak, man. Gary MFing Oak. :P

Though I like Trip/Shooti a lot better so far. He can definitely make Ash pretty mad when it comes to battling.

Years
    • Seen Sep 29, 2011
    Depends on what is considered to be a good rival in the first place and which of them is declared the so called "best." Each had/has their own unique characteristics that made them great rivals in the first place. And actually when you think about it they all contributed something different to Ash's growth as a trainer.

But if we are going by which one we like the most, it for me would definitely be Gary. None of the others compare.

tough

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Dec 20, 2011
    Gary Oak, man. Gary MFing Oak. :P

Though I like Trip/Shooti a lot better so far. He can definitely make Ash pretty mad when it comes to battling.
    Paul isn't better then Trip but he is ok. Gary Oak was the coolest rival of Ash's and he had a badass personality.

Shiny

content creator on twitch
    Years
    Gary for sure. He was the original badboy rival of Ashs and can't be outdone simply put.

Lashh

Pokémon Trainer
    Years
    • AZ
    • Seen Aug 8, 2011
    I could be old school and pick Gary, the original rival. But my interest in his character faded after the Johto League when he became a Professor. He is a very powerful trainer indeed, which is why I wanted to see more of his character after that.

So my choice for this is Paul. I initially disliked Paul's character because of how he treated that hard working little Chimichar. I gained more of a liking for his character as the DP series progressed, when I saw how strategically he raised his Pokemon, having so many impressive Pokemon in his rotation. He and Ash had one of the best battles I've ever seen in the entire series.

Years
    To hell what everyone said.
    Gary MotherEffing Oak. Three Perfect Letters.

Now shut up and put your hands down.
    By the way, Gary had a Mercedes Full of cheerleaders at the age of ten.

And Ash should be 14 in Best Wishes.

flamz321

Redefining the arts...
    Years
    • Age 27
    • Seen Jan 13, 2024
    Psh does this question even need to be asked? Gary Oak was definitely pretty boss when it came to rivals. He and Ash definitely have a long history from the Anime plus the manga.

JP

wut?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • USA
    • Seen Dec 13, 2019
    I hate to be unoriginal here, but Gary Oak is indeed the best rival to Ash, with Paul following.

I loved Ash's reactions whenever he heard of or saw Gary in the anime, and their battles were always interesting to watch. As for Paul, he progressively got better throughout the anime, and the climactic battle that took place at the Pokemon League with him and Ash was outstanding, possibly one of my favorite battles in the series.

Uecil

[img]https://i.ibb.co/4jfYrCT/tHdpHUB.png[/img]
    Years
    Gary Oak was the best in my opinion because he was very competitive and his appearance or him being mentioned made Ash become competitive too. In which, that's what rivals should be like.

And to add, I couldn't stand Paul or Shooti

Years
    Gary Oak; there's no competition.

Gary grew up in the same town as Ash and it looked as if he was better than him in every way. Gary had cheerleaders, a car, most of Pallet Town supporting him, tons of powerful Pokemon, vast knowledge, and was the grandson of the famous Professor Oak. Ash had Brock and Misty, a tiny group of family friends supporting him, a limited supply of Pokemon, and knew next very little about Pokemon. It was interesting to see someone like Ash who was outclassed in every single way struggle to keep up with Gary and eventually surpass him. Too bad Gary's Electivire beat Ash later.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    IMO, Paul was the best rival. True, he was a jerk to his Pokemon, but his personality and training methods were in direct contrast with Ash's.

AshPikastar

It's Question Time!
    Years
    Defiantly Gary Oak. Their battles always got me excited whenever I see them two battle and they were really good too. They also grew up in the same town as well and had been rivals ever since. I also liked Paul as Ash rival. They had a good story plot to go with it and had some good battles too but Gary is the best one so far.

Years
    • Seen Nov 11, 2011
    Of all of the possible rivals, it's probably going to come down to Paul and Gary. Barry, Trip, Morrison, and any other person who could fit the description of rival really can't compete.

Between those two, my vote would be for Paul. Sure, I didn't like Gary. He had an inflated ego and he was irritating, but at least he cared for his pokemon. If I met someone like Gary, I'd say "What a jerk" when he left the room. Paul was smarter and a better trainer than Ash, which would make for a good rival already, but worst of all he was doing better by doing things that are against Ash's morality and core beliefs.

To me, it's a difference of a rivalry of ambition between Ash and Gary, and a rivalry of ideology between Ash and Paul. The latter just seems more important.

smurf

Veteran Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Jan 11, 2015
    i think either paul or gary they are both powerful rivials and really helped ash in his journey

Strdstwanderer

We'll get to that tomorrow
    Years
    Gary For Sure because He was always 1 to 3 steps ahead of ash unlike paul who ash beat to punch to get the 7th Sinnoh Gym Badge... Plus Blastoise VS Charizard was awesome

Kenshin5

Wanderer
    Years
    Who do you think is Ash's best rival?

Obligatory Gary Oak troll pic. Anyways I don't think there is a "best" all the rivals have their unique quirks about them. Gary is and egotistical ******* at first and then develops into a friendly rival like Harrison/Tyson(although they are temp rivals). I love Gary for his personality, I have got to say he has one of the best personalities in the show much less his counterpart Blue. And he is smart too boot, being that he is now the next Professor Oak. Paul from what I have seen in DP seems to be the exact opposite of Ash, and brings out the best in him. Where Ash it kind Paul is not, where Ash is friendly Paul is a jerk. Paul seems more of a rival in terms of battling and just doesn't give a damn what you think of him and is willing to win at any cost with disregards to his own pokes. Secondary rivals like Barry, Morrison are just meh. It's either Gary or Paul for me.

Back