• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Why are there no Gen 1 Dark types?

Years
    • Seen Aug 18, 2016
    I realize that this is not going to change at all, but I remember in Generation 1, the psychic type was overpowered. For this reason, Dark and Steel types were created, and they balanced things out quite a bit (Psychic isn't even considered to be all that good anymore). With the addition of these two types, Magnemite and Magneton were given the steel type, but nothing in Gen 1 got a Dark addition (except Eevee getting Umbreon, but that's still Gen 2).

So why didn't anything from Gen 1 get a Dark typing? I understand that giving the Ghastly line a Ghost/Dark setup would potentially make them OP, but nothing else warranted a Dark typing?

I could have pictured Persian or Pinsir having Dark dual types.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
    Years
  • Dark types were not made until Generation 2. This pretty much sums up your question.

He was asking why certain Gen 1 Pokemon weren't retconned to being part Dark like the Magnemite line w/ Steel.

The only Gen 1 Pokemon I could think of that'll fit as Dark types are Raticate and the Ekans line due to their sneaky natures as portrayed in cartoons.

Years
  • Mega Gyarados is a Water/Dark type.
    They didn't retype any of the Gen 1 Pokemon when they introduced the Dark type. There aren't any Gen 1 Pokemon who should be Dark type in the first place. Even Mega Gayados should have been Water/Dragon or Water/Flying.

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
    Years
  • Imo dark type is a pretty vague type in terms of defining attributes. Steel is simple: if it's made of metal, it's a steel type. So they kinda had no choice but to retcon Magnemite and Magneton. I think it's best that they kept the retcon to a minimum by not making any of the Gen I Pokemon dark types.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    Uh, Mega Gyarados isn't a first-gen Pokémon, Banz. xD" Anyway, to add onto Pinkie-Dawn's list, I think Tauros is pretty close to dark as well, mostly due to how angry and hateful it could be towards others. Another would be Persian.

Puddle

Mission Complete✔
    Years
  • I still don't feel like any of those possess dark type attributes. If I had to pick one. I'd pick like Koffing and Grimer since they always played a negative role.

Wait Arbok could definitely be dark as well

Years
    • Seen Nov 26, 2015
    Because dark types i believe were introduced in Gen two , along with the steel type.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
    Years
  • I think it's best that they kept the retcon to a minimum by not making any of the Gen I Pokemon dark types.

But then it would be weird to have Gen 1 to be the only gen where one of the 18 types are missing in mon form, making it assymetric/unbalanced, which is not good.

Years
    • Seen Aug 18, 2016
    But then it would be weird to have Gen 1 to be the only gen where one of the 18 types are missing in mon form, making it assymetric/unbalanced, which is not good.

That's mostly what I'm getting at. It just seems odd to me that when Fairy was introduced, every generation got several Fairies, while when Gen 2 introduced the Dark type, nothing from Gen 1 received an update.

And there are examples of Pokemon with odd typings all over the place. Gyarados would have fit better (in my opinion) as a Water/Dark than as a Water/Flying, considering it can't seem to learn any Flying type moves except for maybe Bounce.
    I betchya Primeape would have fit pretty well as a Fighting/Dark type as well.

Years
  • Going through the list of Kanto Pokemon, I guess a case could've been made for making Rattata/Raticate or Gastly/Haunter/Gengar part-Dark type, but it doesn't bother me either way that we didn't have any Pokemon switched to Dark type when Steel was added to Magnemite/Magneton.

If at some point down the road they were going to add a Dark type to one of the Kanto Pokemon, I'd make a case for Hypno getting it. In many instances, it's noted as stalking, hypnotising and kidnapping people, many of which aren't heard from again. If there's any truly evil Pokemon out of the original 151 (and not because of a trainer's influence), I'd easily say Hypno.

Years
  • Dark type really only just started, and they weren't sure likely what to grant dark type too. Magnemite getting steel type was a no brainer, but likely nothing fit the bill for being a dark type.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today

That's mostly what I'm getting at. It just seems odd to me that when Fairy was introduced, every generation got several Fairies, while when Gen 2 introduced the Dark type, nothing from Gen 1 received an update.

It's called Game Freak logic. Which means the things they do are rather inconsistent and don't make sense half the time.

jfuze174

Elite Trainer Joey
    Years
  • we got mega gyrados now (Which should of been a dragon but oh well) but yea i dont really see any other gen 1 poke fitting a dark type except like raticate and Pinser

Super Bling

Clair pretty thick, huh?
    Years
    • Seen May 10, 2014
    Uh, Mega Gyarados isn't a first-gen Pokémon, Banz. xD" Anyway, to add onto Pinkie-Dawn's list, I think Tauros is pretty close to dark as well, mostly due to how angry and hateful it could be towards others. Another would be Persian.
    pretty sure he means 1 gen pokemon in general, as gyarados is a first gen pokemon and it laters gets dark type with mega gyarados

Cura

[color=DarkCyan][i][b]I see nothing! I know nothin
    Years
  • So, okay. Lets get this straight.

MantisboyN said:
    I realize that this is not going to change at all, but I remember in Generation 1, the psychic type was overpowered. For this reason, Dark and Steel types were created, and they balanced things out quite a bit (Psychic isn't even considered to be all that good anymore).
    Dark and Steel were created in generation two/Johto, so the reclassification, yes did come later on. Still, psychic is still good if you play it right, don't be so harsh against those who like using Psychic-Type Pokemon, or Pokemon that know Psychic-Type attacks. Another thing is that psychic-type Pokemon [fully-evolved] primarily have a high Sp.Attack and Sp.Defense statistics, making them very effective if you are in a longer-than-anticipated battle.

Secondly, I looked down the entire generation one national dex list. Only Magnemite and Magneton were reclassified with an additional secondary type in generation two, in this case. Steel-Type [my personal favorite type]. This would make sense in one way, that appearing appearance. Magnemite is literally is made of steel, body, screws, horseshoe magnets....did I say enough?

MantisboyN said:
    So why didn't anything from Gen 1 get a Dark typing? I understand that giving the Ghastly line a Ghost/Dark setup would potentially make them OP, but nothing else warranted a Dark typing?
    The Ghastly line is already a dual type, that is why. All of its line is Ghost/Poison and in theory, Gengar being Ghost/Dark would break the game's balancing among types and selection of Pokemon.

Think about it. Lets say Gengar WAS a Ghost/Dark type, what would its top stats be? Its strengths and weaknesses?

[Fully Evolved/Training Possibility; without EV included. Its all stock.]
    Ghost Type: Strongest Stat is Sp.Attack. 90 [rounded to closest tenth]
    Dark Type: Strongest Stat is Attack [Physical]. 101

This alone is a bit broke, a pokemon that is high in both attack and sp.attack stats is powerful, but is its Defense stats low? Lets see.

Ghost Type: 74 [Defense] / 77 [Sp.Defense]
    Dark Type: 78 [Defense] / 75 [Sp.Defense]

I see a pattern, do you? Regardless, the typing of Ghost/Dark would be a tad broken by the fact its attack stats are high, and its defense is actually quite moderately good. Speed?

Ghost Type: 71
    Dark Type: 80

So everything would be in-between these numbers on final growth of the Pokemon. Another think I noticed is that in all honestly, Dark type seems to be a modified alternate typing; seeing how Ghost and Dark stats are most reversed attack stats, very similar defensive stats, and moderate speeds. Plus, maybe the developers didn't want to retype these pokemon as such, or thought they were good as it is. Only Magnemite and Magneton were reclassified because of their appearances.

MantisboyN said:
    I could have pictured Persian or Pinsir having Dark dual types.
    Persian; Yes, I can see the Normal/Dark typing actually working, but I see it more with Meowth, since Meowth is the 'Scratch Cat' Pokemon, its an alley cat, living in the darker, more dangerous areas of a town or city, being shady in general. Persian on the other hand is the 'Classy Cat' Pokemon, a Pokemon adored that of the wealthy and rich. A polar opposite of its forerunner, since Persians are seen to very intelligent, able to lead packs and such.

Pinsir on the other hand is different in my eyes, I see Pinsir more of a Bug/Fighting Type. I can't really explain, I just see it as such. Or I just more of that vibe from its design.

Years
  • I saw this thread and thought "Oh my god, really? Do they really not know that Dark didn't exist til Gen 2?! D:". Thankfully I was mistaken :P

Interesting point. I never really thought about Gen 1 Pokémon getting retyped to _/Dark type, despite Magnemite (etc) getting Steel. Though people have suggested things I guess it just didn't really fit any of the Pokémon's designs. Which of course is a matter of perception, really, but anything aside from Ekans/Arbok that would 'fit' with the Dark typing was already dual typed, pretty much (the Gastly line, for example).

Of course, back then, the spread of types was handled very strangely. Basically the only ghosts were the Gastly line, and Misdreavus. So adding Darks meant Umbreon, Murkrow, and the Houndour line. Steel was just the Mangemite line, Steelix and Scizor (who didn't actually appear in game at all unless you made one yourself). But I'm straying a bit. Basically, my point is that Dark wasn't added to any Gen 1 Pokémon because it just didn't fit the Pokémon's designs, and any that would fit were already dual typed.

Years
    • Seen Mar 22, 2024
    Persian; Yes, I can see the Normal/Dark typing actually working, but I see it more with Meowth, since Meowth is the 'Scratch Cat' Pokemon, its an alley cat, living in the darker, more dangerous areas of a town or city, being shady in general. Persian on the other hand is the 'Classy Cat' Pokemon, a Pokemon adored that of the wealthy and rich. A polar opposite of its forerunner, since Persians are seen to very intelligent, able to lead packs and such.

But persian attacks its owners just because it feels like it, and like a lot of cats, it attacks things because....boredom i guess that includes people, also intelligence is a common trait amonst dark pokemon, look at Sneasel/Weavile,Absol,Zoroark,Purrlion all pretty damn smart pokemon, and leading packs is a common trait of dark pokemon too, Honchkrow,Bisharp,Scrafty,Mightyena all hunt in packs.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
    Years
  • I saw this thread and thought "Oh my god, really? Do they really not know that Dark didn't exist til Gen 2?! D:". Thankfully I was mistaken :P

Interesting point. I never really thought about Gen 1 Pokémon getting retyped to _/Dark type, despite Magnemite (etc) getting Steel. Though people have suggested things I guess it just didn't really fit any of the Pokémon's designs. Which of course is a matter of perception, really, but anything aside from Ekans/Arbok that would 'fit' with the Dark typing was already dual typed, pretty much (the Gastly line, for example).

Of course, back then, the spread of types was handled very strangely. Basically the only ghosts were the Gastly line, and Misdreavus. So adding Darks meant Umbreon, Murkrow, and the Houndour line. Steel was just the Mangemite line, Steelix and Scizor (who didn't actually appear in game at all unless you made one yourself). But I'm straying a bit. Basically, my point is that Dark wasn't added to any Gen 1 Pokémon because it just didn't fit the Pokémon's designs, and any that would fit were already dual typed.
    Except Togepi's evos had their Normal typing replaced by Fairy despite being dual typed.

Back