• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Chit-Chat: Wiicked Cool Daily Chit-Chat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
    Years
    Skyward Sword has a lot of backtracking.

Linearity isn't a negative provided the game is designed for it. The stigma against linear games these days is actually pretty ridiculous.

Excessive backtracking can be worse than a linear game if it's not well designed.
    Well the reason I listed Skyward Sword is because I've kept hearing people online complaining how linear modern Zelda games prior to ALBW are, because the game wants you to go to dungeons in the correct order rather than at random. Same with Pokémon games post-Gen II.

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2019
    I'm pretty sure you can pick the order of the three dungeons after Lanayru Mining Facility which is the third dungeon in the game, but I honestly don't even remember.

Either way the dungeons are the highlight of Skyward Sword.

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Seen today
    Finally done with Sticker Star. I'm also hoping to get Shovel Knight in the near future, so that will probably be my next playing project.

Morkula

[b][color=#356F93]Get in the Game[/color][/b]
    Years
    The dungeons in Skyward Sword were definitely the highlights - they definitely propelled it up the list of my favorite Zelda games. The time shifting puzzles in Lanayru were ingenious and the environment was so different from anything we've seen in Zelda yet. And even the "worst" dungeons were better than a lot of other Zelda games. I didn't mind the backtracking either, since there was usually something new to discover and a twist to the environment.

When I think of bad backtracking, the first game that comes to mind is Paper Mario: TTYD. I've still yet to beat that game because I get so tired of going back and forth, back and forth, across fairly mundane areas fighting the same battles over and over again.

pkmin3033

So Dragon Ball Xenoverse is a legit game. It's actually really fun.

Frieza race is the best race.
    How does it compare to other DBZ games? I was considering picking it up for PS4, but wasn't sure if I'd care for it or not, or if I'd be better off with Battle of Z on my Vita. I loathe arcade-style 2D fighting games, but the 3D fighting style I saw in the gameplay videos looked pretty fun...it reminded me a bit of Dissidia, only with more flying about.

...that, plus there are £20 primary account digital copies being sold on eBay. xD

Also, if anyone wants examples of bad backtracking, I'd put forth the Metroid Prime games. They're fantastic titles, but those keys at the end...my GOD. Was it REALLY necessary to have those in there? I don't mind backtracking to explore old areas with new power-ups, but having to meticulously comb the entire map just to open the last area to finish the game...no. That can't be anything but poorly designed.

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2019
    How does it compare to other DBZ games? I was considering picking it up for PS4, but wasn't sure if I'd care for it or not, or if I'd be better off with Battle of Z on my Vita. I loathe arcade-style 2D fighting games, but the 3D fighting style I saw in the gameplay videos looked pretty fun...it reminded me a bit of Dissidia, only with more flying about.
    It's basically an RPG, but with fighting game elements. You start the game and immediately create your character (have a choice of 5 races, all with significant differences in playstyle and surprisingly robust customization options). The game throws you into a hub world where you can interact with people online, level up your character by fighting and choose to do quests. (Offline or online, the latter which you can team up with others). You also have various customization options in choosing moves, clothes, accessories, items, and you also get attribute points to spend on whichever stat you want on your character. The game can be REALLY grindy, actually, so it's definitely gonna give you a lot of play time. (and frustration)

The story mode is your usual DBZ fare, but with various differences that makes it worth experiencing because of your character's addition to the story. (You're a time traveller trying to make sure history goes the way it should) Your character actually feels like a part of the plot with the canon characters properly interacting with you through dialog and cutscenes. There's also some fun twists present because of this. (The whole Ginyu Force arc was actually really clever and fun.) It's also fairly varied with its battle conditions so it doesn't get repetitive.

The combat has surprising depth. It definitely supports different playstyles and you get a whole mileage out of different combos. It's pretty fun once you get the hang of it. One thing I particularly like is how there's a real sense of progression in that you definitely feel like your character is getting signficantly stronger. Often times when you get stuck in a mission, you go train a bit and come back to it finding it a whole lot manageable.

Here's the differences between the 5 races that you can pick

Mark Kamill

I like kitties
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jun 13, 2023
    Was interested in the game as well, but that sounds like you're standard fare like you said, so thanks for clearing it up. I don't think I'll ever be interested in a DBZ game until something like the Legacy of Goku trilogy happens in 3D.

pkmin3033

Thanks for that overview; I think I'm sold on it now. It actually sounds a lot like something I'd enjoy playing...it'd also get me into the DBZ franchise. I loved Dragonball, but I've only watched bits and pieces of Z (most of the stuff involving Frieza and Buu, plus the Broly movie) and I've been meaning to watch the lot of it, but just haven't been able to work up the motivation...this sounds like it'd ease me into it nicely. I can live with grinding, since most of the games I play require it...it can't possibly be any grindier than Disgaea. xD

Now I just need to decide whether I want to get a digital copy for cheap, or use the £25 I have on my GAME reward card towards a physical copy...decisions, decisions.

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2019
    Can I recommend TeamFourStar if you plan on watching DBZ? The abridged actually follows through with the story and has better characterization than the anime. (Which honestly is really bloated unless you plan on watching Kai). The first few episodes are rough but it gets really good when Nappa and Vegeta arrive.

They even got one of the voice actors from the abridged series in this game to use his Nappa voice as a voice option for your character. That's legitimately what sold me on the game.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
    Years
    So from what I can gather from the link Spinosaurus posted, Saiyans are the Lightning Bruisers, Namekians and Majins are Stone Walls/Mighty Glaciers, Earthlings are the Jacks of all Stats, and the Frieza Clan are fragile Speedsters.

Now I regret not preordering the game, due to my low expectations, to get SSJ4 Vegeta and the additional costumes for your avatar.

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2019
    Saiyans are glass cannons and Frieza are quicksters more like. Frieza clan actually isn't fragile at all but they have weak attack power. Frieza clan is arguably the best though because their strengths overshadow their shortcomings. Speed in this game is a VERY good stat because of how open the environment is.

You know what, it's basically Dragon Ball + Destiny. Let's go with that.

Yukari

So... Dragon Ball Xenoverse is actually good? If it is I may need to check it out... I really had low expectations for the game.

Klippy

L E G E N D of
    Years
    I used to love Budokai games, but I've lost so much interest in the series since. :/ It really is a bummer cause some of those were truly great.

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2019
    Honestly if you're a fan of DBZ you have no reason not to play it. Even if you aren't it's worth trying out.

It's top 10 on Stream right now.

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
    Years
    Too many games I want! Why does this always happen! New 'n' Tasty, Five Nights At Freddy's 3, and DBZ. I only had enough for FNAF3.

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Seen today
    I've been playing Shovel Knight and so far, I really like it. I just managed to beat Spectre Knight, but that stage cost me so much money, because I kept constantly falling into some random pits. {XD}

Shhwonk

always with the games, etc.
    Years
    I just beat EarthBound on the SNES! It was absolutely fantastic. It's one of the best RPGs for sure. But I still have a craving for more that's like it, or pretty much anything on the SNES. I might try out EarthBound Zero on the NES. Anyone played it?

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back