• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Worst parts of SM!

Frozocrone

Fighting a bigger fight
Years
  • SOS Battles...when I'm trying to catch in game.

Post-game I've got it all planned out, False Swipe and TWave to stop them calling for help.

But when I was just starting out it was incredibly frustrating trying to catch only to see another Pokemon appear.

Years
    • Seen Dec 26, 2016
    Way too many cut scenes... should have more pokemon (in game).... storys wack..... and the trials are lame thoses are all i can think of right now but i know theres more i can think of thats wrong with this game

Years
  • I can definitely understand all the posts pointing out the overabundance of cutscenes. I like how this game's story is pretty much rivaling Black & White quality-wise, having so many cutscenes made me feel like I didn't spend much time even actually playing.

SaniOKh

Too old for this stuff
    Years
  • The complete disappearance of all field moves. I get that they wanted to remove the HMs, but things like "Dig" and "Teleport" were quite useful, why dd they take that away too?

I'll join in on the amount of cutscenes. I'll add to that the impossibility of skipping them. I'd like to skip cutscenes when I'm playing the second version, please!

The linearity... yeah, it is pretty bad in that regard. I think that if they really wanted to make a story linear like this, they should have added some extra optional locations here and there (for instance, imagine if your next destination is the end of the route you're on, but on the way there is an entrance to a completely optional forest, inhabited by some Pokémon that are exclusive to it, a few trainers and a TM at the end of it... that wouldn't be much but still would be a welcome addition) .

The SOS Battles are a cool concept, IMHO, but I think it would be better if wild Pokémon actually lost their turn when they call for help.

MadHatter62

The Master of Sticks
    Years
    • Seen Mar 26, 2017
    I haven't gotten too far in the game yet (I just got it yesterday) but I thought the very beginning was way too drawn out. This was honestly the first time I fell asleep playing a new game. Hopefully it gets more exciting as the game progresses.

Years
  • The worst part in the game for me so far Is the Aether Foundation cutscene So long and boring and it went well over 10 minutes or so Since you had to fight that ??? Ultra beast who ended up fleeing in the end After that the worst part of the game started You did not even get to explore that place after the Cutscene you get forced to a new area Just like that! I was seriously pissed at this part that i just saved and quitted Playing the game for the rest of the day.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
  • After playing for about 50 hours now, these are the things I am hating.

~ The Pokedex, it tells you where version exclusive pokemon are and they aren't even in your game.
    ~ There is too many screens for the Pokedex.
    ~ I hate that have to go to Festival Plaza just to get to the GTS and Wonder Trade.
    ~ I hate that the map doesn't really help at all within certain zones.
    ~ I really hate that wild pokemon can spam calling an ally. It makes it extremely annoying to catch wild pokemon.
    ~ I hate most of the music
    ~ I hate that they have made fishing so damn annoying. I don't want a damn magikarp when I am trying to catch other pokemon. They should have never made 1 Fishing Rod only.
    ~ I hate the fact that we can't fish anywhere and we have to go to specific spots.
    ~ I hate that some pokemon can only pop up in 1 patch on a route.
    ~ I hate that most of the new pokemon are so damn rare.
    ~ I hate that other pokemon are rare as hell and will rarely pop up and then you have one pokemon that comes up all the time.
    ~ I hate that there is no national dex until probably later on. If there isn't in the game, then they are making us get Pokemon Bank which is a huge no no.
    ~ I loved the cutscenes, but some were way too long and slow.
    ~ I hate that they removed Hoard Battles.
    ~ I hate that clothing in normal shops are so damn expensive.
    ~ I hate that some evolutions are restricted until so late in the game.
    ~ I hate that most of the basic moves seem to do more damage than a Z-Move at times, even when you are using the same move as a base. Example: Water Z only did like 1/3 the damage of a normal Scald when I was using Scald as a base.
    ~ I hate that PSS was removed, I can't tell what friends are on or who isn't.

Florges

The Garden Pokémon
    Years
  • The fact that Stufful is everywhere in the overworld yet when you try to catch a wild one there is only A FIVE PERCENT ENCOUNTER RATE??? Why make them everywhere, assuming that they are common, and make them one of the hardest Pokemon to find in the game?! It took me two hours to find mine ;__;

thedestinedblade

Radiant Cool Boy
    Years
  • The fact that Stufful is everywhere in the overworld yet when you try to catch a wild one there is only A FIVE PERCENT ENCOUNTER RATE??? Why make them everywhere, assuming that they are common, and make them one of the hardest Pokemon to find in the game?! It took me two hours to find mine ;__;

A lot of new pokemon seem to fall into that 1%-5% encounter rate. It is almost as if the game is punishing you if you want to use new pokemon only. :(

Mimikyu402

Flareon Master
    Years
  • only 1 thing bothred me really that is the lack of grinding spots for post game, all other complaints is just petty things compared to that huge problem , it just makes it so much harder to get to lv 100 which you need to be to use bottle caps

Years
  • A lot of new pokemon seem to fall into that 1%-5% encounter rate. It is almost as if the game is punishing you if you want to use new pokemon only. :(

I do agree with you about that. In X/Y the new Pokemon were significantly rarer encounters than the older Pokemon, and in S/M it's happened again. Game Freak should know by now that new Pokemon are the main selling point, and making their encounter rate so rare compared to other Pokemon goes against that point.

Years
  • There are two ways to look at this. From your standpoint and possibly others, it's that this is frustrating, but you continue putting in hours to look for the newer Pokemon, anyway.

From Game Freak's possible standpoint, it's likely this was intentional for the very reason that they want you to put endless hours into finding those new Pokemon to make finding those Pokemon more rewarding, and as such you would continue to pour in more hours to find more newer Pokemon, regardless if they have a rare chance of appearing. Just the chance to encounter one would possibly motivate an individual to try again and again and again.

Don't be surprised if this was indeed an intentional maneuver to get people stuck to the game, and it's a fairly smart move at that, even if it's frustrating (which I do agree with, by the way).

You do have a point, because as we know finding something rare is usually something to be satisfied about, and I guess Game Freak had this idea in mind for a while now.

Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    Uhh mele whatever island. The whole island was like a giant tutorial. I felt like I was being stopped every 10 steps and that made me feel SMOTHERED. Also I thought the clothing was kinda lame this time around. Very simple designs available in all the same colors. For that fact alone only the shoes were really worth while. Also no way to try on clothes before buying?? Besides that not much else. I enjoyed the game a lot

Years
    • Seen Oct 1, 2020
    The worst I found so far was that how frustrating is to catch Tapu Koko. You have to battle it during the cut scene when you beat the league and before the credits. I had to use a synchronize Pokemon in front line against Kukui. Well I managed to catch the other legendaries without the master ball including Necromza and especially Solgaleo which was easier to catch. I'm glad that they made Solgaleo less frustrating so you that I can organize my team for it.

Also the Ultra Beasts are smart when they are in the wild. Buzzwole only used attacking moves and Xuritree keep using Discharge while Special Attack is up and used Power Whip on Ground types.

LilyGardy

The Flowering Pokemon
    Years
  • Gen 1 pandering. In Lush Jungle it took me nearly half an hour to find a Bounsweet with Paras and Pinsir appearing everywhere. Even more inexplicable is that Bounsweet is a common encounter.

In general Kanto mons seem much easier to run into than newer Pokemon.

And on that note having seen the Alola dex how did Pinsir and the Spearow line got in the game and the fan favourite like the Gardevoir line didn't? Is it because they are Gen 1? And why can you fly on a Charizard but not catch the line. Alola isn't exactly short of bird Pokemon.

Years
  • Gen 1 pandering. In Lush Jungle it took me nearly half an hour to find a Bounsweet with Paras and Pinsir appearing everywhere. Even more inexplicable is that Bounsweet is a common encounter.

That reminds me, of all the time I've been catching stuff in Lush Jungle, I never ran into a single Pinsir.

Years
  • I was expecting the game to be more difficult. I was expecting to get stuck somewhere and having no idea how to proceed. It's fun and annoying and fun and annoying but at least you get to know the ares better when you actually have to explore it yourself to find out what you have to do next! But it was so easy because you were constantly told exactly where to go.

And the cutscenes were way too long and there were too many of them. The cutscenes took me away from what I wanted to do at certain places. The beginning was too long, really... You get this awesome new game and can't wait to go and explore and battle...

I also don't like how you have to press A to walk through doors! And fishing is boring.

Oh, and how you get your party healed at random times! I used too many revives and potions for nothing. >:(

Nevertheless I love the game!

MarioManH

top kek
    Years
  • What annoyed you the most in S/M?

Just as the title suggests, what annoyed you the most in S/M?

For myself - Too much damn water The Elite 4 was a let down and seemed like a cop out adding most of the Kahunas instead of forming some original E4 that could of had some ties to Alola's past

Back