• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Anime/Manga Your childhood anime series

Years
  • Besides Pokemon I'd say Sailor Moon, Dragon Ball, Inuyasha, and Hamtaro! I then got older and watched anime you'd not see on Toonami and/or Adult Swim thanks to the web.

Years
  • My family moved from Canada to Ireland when I was 5 - first the city, and then the countryside when I was about 7. Back in the 90s, truly, the only anime I remember coming across was Sailor Moon, and eventually Pokémon - but I knew I absolutely loved the general anime art style, and wanted to see more.

But... I lived in Ireland, and didn't have access to non-Irish channels until about... 2008?
    So truly, the only anime shown on the Irish channels was Pokémon, Digimon and YuGiOh. There were a handful of others that'd be shown on Saturday mornings, like Cardcaptors (which I remember being awesome, but upon trying to rewatch, seemed... just different. I do wonder if there are multiple 'versions' of that, and I just looked up the wrong one).

Eventually through some after-school activities, I met a kid who gave me some Death Note DVDs he'd burned, and my life changed forever. I didn't know anime could be quite like it.
    He also gave me the first few episodes of Full Metal Alchemist; not Brotherhood, but I did watch that later.
    In my mid-later teens, with more reliable internet access and better TV channels. My good friend @DrFuji put me onto the Fate series, and another offline friend got me watching Bleach.

Now I've listed it out, I realise that I haven't watched any anime in quite some time, and how much I miss it. I watched the first season of The Promised Neverland and adored it, but was disappointed with the direction it took in the second season. I've also watched Digimon Ghost Game and the various Digimon movies that've come out the past while, but haven't really found a modern anime that tickles my fancy nowadays.

Years
  • Mine where: Pokémon, InuYasha, Naruto, Bleach, R.O.D the T.V and Yu-Gi-Oh 5Ds. All in order over the years I found them. I've seen quite a few over time but now I'm getting back into the Anime scene. I love : My Hero Academia, Goblin Slayer, New Game!,Flying Witch and Recovery of an MMO Junkie plus the ones I said above so far.

Years
  • The big ones for me when I was really little were the obvious ones - Pokemon, Digimon, YGO and DBZ. As I got a bit older I also got really into Naruto, MAR and Orphen. In my later teens and now into adulthood my tastes have diversified a lot compared to back then.

BWZ

Days
    • Seen yesterday
    Dragon Ball (Z), Fist of the North Star, City Hunter, Yu Yu Hakusho, Ranma 1/2, Dai no Daibouken among others.
    A lot of them are still my favourite to this day. I don't watch as much anime as I used to be, but once in a while I like doing a rewatch of one of these

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
  • Sailor Moon was probably the only one I remember watching as a kid that I look back fondly on.

Where I live, we only got the butchered "Cardcaptors" version of Cardcaptor Sakura.

Of course I also watched Pokemon, but even much younger me didn't care for the show, and my opinion of it certainly hasn't improved with age. Didin't affect my perception of the games, though, I still put hours into gens 1 and 2 despite cringing at the anime.

Setsuna

♡ Setsuna Scarlet Storm!!
    Years
  • I love : My Hero Academia, Goblin Slayer, New Game!,Flying Witch and Recovery of an MMO Junkie plus the ones I said above so far.

tumblr_oww6uumcWt1vviqkjo1_540.gif

Always good to see more love for New Game! It's one of my favourites!

As for me, I watched the Pokemon anime from Advanced to Rival Destinies every day before (or maybe sometimes after?) school. I remember being big into Yu-Gi-Oh GX when it was new but I've only watched season 1.
    Though if I considered any anime to be my first/childhood anime it'd be Shugo Chara. I still think about it a lot and after watching some other magical girl shows it still has some qualities I want to see in more of them. If I rewatched it I'm sure I'd go "this was definitely made for kids" but it's always had a big spot in my heart. I got really into it with a couple of friends and I remember we made OCs for it and everything.

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
  • I loved Sailor Moon as a kid, but I didn't really know it was anime. It's possible I had heard it was from Japan, but that meant nothing to me at the time so I sort of don't count it.

But my jam as a kid was Pokémon, Digimon (specifically 01 and 02), and Dragonball Z. This was kind of the holy trinity when I was a kid and the first time I can recall that stuff was hyped up as anime/Japanimation (lol). I knew that stuff was from Japan and I wanted MORE of it. As I entered my pre-teens/teens, I also got into Cardcaptors and then Cardcaptor Sakura, when I found out just how much was cut out of the original. This led to babby's first subtitled DVDs! This focus on "omg what are they doing to the originals" continued into Yu-Gi-Oh, which I was obsessed with for many years and was the initial catalyst for me learning Japanese hahaha.

From there I started watching anything I could get my hands on, which usually came in the form of questionable P2P Kazaa downloads, but I don't think I'd count anything I watched that way as stuff from my childhood even though I was still pretty young when I watched it.

Days
    • they/he
    • Seen May 6, 2024
    As a child, I had extracurriculars on weekends, so most of my "Saturday Morning Cartoon" watching (which was how I was exposed to childhood anime) consisted of seeing 1-2 episodes once in a Blue Moon. Thus, the actual quality of the shows varied wildly, as I basically extrapolated from the main premise and what episode I happened to catch. Ones that stick out in my memory from childhood:

-Sailor Moon (the very earliest)
    -Spider Riders (probably influenced my love of Galvantula)
    -Digimon Frontier (I was so fascinated by characters turning into Digimon)
    -Tokyo Mew Mew

As a kid, I didn't really distinguish Anime from other cartoons. The first anime I really understood as part of that medium/genre was Katekyo Hitman Reborn! as a teen. Looking back, I can see the flaws in that series, but it still holds a special place in my heart as my nostalgic First Anime

RadEmpoleon

Empress of Randomness
    Years
  • I wasn't very big into anime as a kid- pretty much the only one I watched was Pokémon, and even then I didn't watch very consistently. Every now and then I'd watch Dragon Ball with my brother, but I had no clue what was ever happening. (Funny enough, the only part I remember watching was the scene where the "over 9000" meme came from.) In middle school my brother got me into Attack on Titan. We watched most of season 1 together. One of my friends who also watched AoT and I used to make a bunch of jokes about it.

Back