• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Your Favorite Os

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Seen today
    I like Arch Linux and I've installed it a couple times on different devices. But I'm now also at the point where I don't want to spend a couple hours installing a system from the ground up. So, when I got my new laptop I installed EndeavourOS (Linux that uses Arch as its base) and just removed a couple packages that I didn't need. It's working pretty well so far!

At this point I think Windows can be pretty neat if you want something quick. But especially the newer versions are very exploitative. You can't even set up a Home Edition installation of Windows 11 without a Microsoft account.

I'd say Win7 is still a good OS. But given that it isn't officially supported, anymore, it's hard to defend having it on your machine these days...

Years
  • I like that you mentioned Endeavour OS, because it's my daily OS too. It's my second time using it and it's really easy to install, fast and has everything. If etey other distros and mess up, I go back to Endeavour OS as it's a
    very safe spot for me. And it's basically Arch (btw)

I like Linux in general and lately I have successfully installed Gentoo and I am trying to learn things. I really love the idea behind Gentoo and I find many things really interesting. It's a good distro and OS as well, but it surely isn't perfect. I haven't used it enough to say much about it, but in its own way is fascinating, but also frustrating sometimes.

Years
  • heavily boosted by nostalgia, Windows 7 was hands down the best OS I ever mained. it was the first OS that i could actually tinker around with since it was on our family computer, versus XP in internet cafes back then. i downloaded so much sketchy stuff and learned so many internet do's and dont's, and i was grateful that 7 never was annoyingly strict with security like 10 and 11 are right now. literally the only reason i keep upgrading OS's anyway is bcs Windows forces me to. i'd for real still be on 7 right now if it were fully up to me.

also tried Linux a couple times and sometimes partake in discussions and memes about it, but tbh i never vibed with it fully. the learning curve is still just a tad too much from me and there's too many programs i need right now that may not work perfectly with Linux. i've already heard so many bad things about sound card drivers / display drivers having so many issues on non Windows systems, which solidifies my stance that i may never actually have Linux as my sole OS, perhaps just something to tinker with on the side.

Years
  • for the nostalgia factor windows xp. it's the bridge between modern 2000s computing and classic 20th century windows

but ideally windows 10 is the best because of its performance factor

stringzzz

Banned
    Days
  • I've used many versions of Windows and Mac, along with Ubuntu. I don't have the hate for any of those operating systems, and have no problem using any of them if needed. But, I found myself feeling most comfortable with Ubuntu, right from the moment I first installed it on a laptop years ago. It just feels right, for some reason.

Days
  • I'll probably catch flack for this but I hated XP. Never seen another os run out of ram playing a video, the way it updated was also super annoying. I was excited for vista until it came out, so I stayed on XP until 7. I liked 7 for the most part, I switched to 8 and after I was done messing with it I really liked it. I messed with it so much that when 8.1 came out there was no real difference to me. 10 I put up with as I game. on my laptop I've been using nobara which is a custom fedora aimed at gamers. It works really nice and might be my all time favorite. I figure once 10 reaches EOL I'll switch my desktop to nobara or if there's a better alt at the time I'll go for that. Ubuntu Server, Debian Server get a shout out for being what I mainly used for servers until i switched to fedora. For SBCs like the raspberry pi I like to use diet-pi.

Years
    • Seen today
    Windows 7 was fantastic and if I could use it still I absolutely would. I also use Linux Mint on devices that I can't run Windows or macOS on anymore due to being unsupported hardware, and it is a very nice lightweight distro that's simple to use and requires minimal setup compared to other distros, and has a wide availability of software alternatives for most everyday use cases like internet browsing and word processing.

Mewtwolover

Mewtwo worshiper
    Years
  • I'll probably catch flack for this but I hated XP. Never seen another os run out of ram playing a video, the way it updated was also super annoying.
    Lack of UAC was annoying as well, you had administrator priviledges by default which was dangerous.

Ubuntu Linux is my favorite OS.

Years
  • Despite my avatar, Windows 7 is my favorite OS by far. I love the Aero design language and it isn't always nagging me to update like 10 and 11 do; it's what I main on my laptop

Back