• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Your Favorite Pokemon Nicknames

Years
    • Seen Feb 12, 2023
    Nicknames are an essensial part of this franchise by this point, but what are some of your favorites you've used? I personally like using a theme for each playthrough (Zodiacs, Cartoon Characters, etc.) although most of the time I can't think of anything good and start mixing them all together.

Years
    • Online now
    Plothole (Bibarel)
    Phantasy (Copperajah)
    Kung Fung (Breloom)
    Delain (Froslass)
    Arkham (Cacturne)
    Fierizo (Typhlosion)
    Corveone (Honchkrow)
    Wazzap (Dracozolt)
    BoxBonnie (Lopunny)
    Zapapico (Staraptor)

I don't allways nickname Pokémon, only when I can come up with nicknames for the entire team.

Angel-of-Light-Kelly

Longtime fan
    Years
  • I remember for one nuzlocke, I named characters after Fire Emblem characters, as that is a series known for its permadeath.

I had a playthrough where my team where named after video game characters that had to fit in some way, and then a playthrough of naming after anime (I named my Litten Train in that playthrough, I wonder how many will recognize that anime reference).

Though my favourite nickname I think is when I nicknamed a Growlithe after my irl dog Flint, as Flint is a fire sounding name, both dogs are scruffy, and Growlithe and my puppy are both very loyal (my puppy will come to cheer me up if I seem sick or sad).

stringzzz

Banned
    Days
  • Was going to make this thread, but found it already existing on page 2.
    In more recent times, these are some of my favorites:

ShadyKong (Annihilape) Looks like the shady cousin of Donkey Kong
    Macaroni (Gholdengo) My first thought with this Poke was that it looks like a macaroni noodle, lol
    Zoro (Ceruledge) Reminds me of Zoro/Zolo from One Piece
    Cuddlez (Mimikyu) So cuddly :3
    Sparklez (Also Mimikyu, but shiny!)
    Chili (Skeledirge)
    Pain (Dragapult) Named it this because it was one of the most frustrating shiny hatches, though the one I'm working on now is getting worse than that.
    Mystique (Hisuian Zoroark, Female) Named after the shape shifting Mystique from X-Men. Was going for a shiny with this one, but put that on hold for now.

Alex_Among_Foxes

A lover of Foxes
    Years
  • As someone who nicknames all their Pokemon, I approve of this thread!

Inferno my first Charizard.
    Yukikyu my Mimikyu.
    Wolf my Arcanine.
    Swindle my Thievul.
    Shade my Weavile.
    Dirk my Ceruledge.
    Silver my shiny Eevee!
    I've got so many it would break the thread, so I'll stop here lol.

Sweet Serenity

Advocate of Truth
    Years
  • Lyra - Starmie (Named after the constellation)
    Gorochu - Pawmot (Before Red and Blue was released, the Pikachu line was supposed to have been three stage, with Raichu evolving into Gorochu, an Electric/Fighting Pokémon, but that was scrapped. I think Pawmot is the closest thing to Gorochu).
    Charisma - Gardevoir (Named after a relative of mine who reminds me so much of Gardevoir. The name also fits too).
    Aerodactyl - Ariel (A perfect name for a female Aerodactyl).
    Tauros - Bodacious (Named after the late famous fighting bull).
    Reshiram - Veritas (The goddess of truth in Greek myth. I always viewed Reshiram as female and since Reshiram is an advocate of truth, I thought the name fit perfectly).
    Corviknight - Knightwing (A dark-colored bird made of solid steel. Perfect name for it).
    Giratina - Tina Turner (I always gave Giratina this name long before Tina Turner passed).

Lavender

No, your gonna face ME first!
    Years
  • Vaporeon- Lavender (I love naming my pokemon after flowers)
    Spidops- Lucas (Lucas the spider)
    Dachsbun-Bella (named after my chihuahua dachshund mix)
    Hattrem-Marshmallow (Like to keep it a hattrem, i think its cute)
    Lilligant-Pyra (My tera fire lilligant)
    Furret-Tora (Xenoblade reference)
    Araquanid-Spuder (Bug fables reference)
    Litten-Buddy (My first pokemon's nickname)

Last edited:

KOZSTAR

Diabolical
    Years
  • Watchog - Escapee (because he looks like an asylum escapee)
    Electivire - Liam (my boyfriend's name and his favorite pokemon)
    Whimsicott - Magorobi (A video game character that I like, who gives Whimsicott vibes for some reason)
    Starmie - Patrick (do I need to explain this one?)
    Toxicroak - Dee Jay (Street Fighter)
    Glaceon - Cobalt (I had a male one in a run of Platinum and it had Water Pulse. So I renamed it Cobalt to entertain the dark blue theme)
    Aegislash - Naginata (Japanese swordfighting weapon)

Days
    • He/Him/My Lordship
    • Seen Nov 18, 2023
    I have a few fall backs.

Swellow - Rose
    Gardevoir - Aphrodite
    Bibarrel - Chungus
    Houndoom - Keena
    Mightyena - Eclair
    Infernape - Jackie
    Venasuar - Bruteroot
    Liepard - Dagger
    Hawlucha - Mysterio
    Tauros - Ferdinand/Charger
    Mamoswine - Tusker/Tusk
    Samurott - Ronin
    Ursaring - Cuddles

Descendng

actual real Sableye. trust me.
    Years
  • One of my favorite things to do when playing through Pokemon games is coming up with nicknames for my team members and such, since I feel it adds a layer of personality and attachment to each one. I also love hearing what names other people have come up with, and the stories behind them.

the first one that comes to mind for me is a Tyranitar I used in SoulSilver a few years back. I named it 'Matterhorn', of course taken from the mountain of the alps. it's a powerful sounding name for a powerful Pokemon.
    I'm also quite fond of the name I usually give to Volcarona whenever I get one, which is 'Lotus', since its wings have always reminded me of lotus flowers for some reason.
    and then there's the Grumpig I used when playing through Emerald not too long ago, who I immediately decided to name 'Zoinks'. I think my thought process was "zen + oink" and it resulted in a name that made me smile a bit every time I sent it out into battle.
    most recently, I've been running through Scarlet again and spontaneously decided to use a Nacli, which I've named 'Summoning', because I was binging SummoningSalt when I caught him. ironically, he has a minus speed nature. lmao

Setsuna

♡ Setsuna Scarlet Storm!!
    Years
  • I don't nickname Pokemon very often anymore, but I did a bunch when I was younger. I'd usually try to think of clever names like naming a Froslass "Yukina", because it's associated with snow (Yuki), the Japanese yokai inspiration for its design, and as a reference to a character from Bandori with the same name, with long lighter-coloured hair and a colder attitude. I named my Iron Valiant "Johanna" because of the mixed gender elements from both Gallade and Gardevoir as a reference to Pope Joan, and its robotic appearance reminding me of Johanna from Persona 5. But sometimes I'd just name them something really cute or charming. I named a Banette "Ribbons" once and it's just such a cute name that lives in my heart permanently. Any Banette I catch and use is Ribbons now.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
  • For my Shining Pearl playthrough, I nicknamed my female Pokemon after Love Live idols and my male Pokemon after old, out of production automobiles. Which meant that yes, there were double battles where Maki was teamed up with an Olds Cutlass lol.

Spoiler: an unlikely pairing? Not in Sinnoh, apparently

For either White or White 2 (it was one of the Gen 5 games),my nicknaming theme was hotel chains.

Sometimes I'm too lazy to give them nicknames, though.

With that said, Stadium 1 and 2 deserve some credit for some awesome nicknames like OW-FEAR the Fearow, LEMGO the Golem, and UMK the Muk.

Back