• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Your first ever Pokemon game?

Sun

When the sun goes down...
    Years
    • Seen Jan 20, 2017
    I started with Gen I, Pokémon Yellow, at the age of 6/7. {XD} I recall I didn't know how to exit the house. ^_^

Azelfino

Willpower
    Years
    • Seen Jul 21, 2016
    Pokémon Yellow was my first game, I can't remember how I was when playing it but I do remember finishing it, so I guess I was okay!

Infinitum

╭━━╮╱╱╭━? ??╱╱╱╱╭╮╱? ?╱╱╱╱╱╱╱╱ ╱╱╱╱╱╱╱╱? ??╭?
    Years
    Pokémon Mystery Dungeon - Explorers of Darkness was the first game I bought, about a week after it was released back in 2008.

Years
    Blue, on an emulator, with a massive printout of gameshark codes because I had no idea what the hell was going on! A friend just gave me it and said "here play this" and I was all "oh ok".

Then I was hooked!

Years
    I'm proud to say Pokemon Yellow. That was my first ever GB game and that's where my love for Pokemon began. I was really young when I got the game too, so I've grown up playing Pokemon. It's good to see how far it's come and that it's still going.

Frozen Lotus

Shay's Ice Prince
    Years
    First Pokemon game ever was Silver, though I got Gold at the same time. It's definitely not my favorite, but I do have fond memories and SoulSilver is among my favorites. I don't really remember how well I played it, though I did beat it, so it couldn't have been all thaaat newbie.

Years
    Either Emerald or Ruby was my first, I can't really remember. However I do know that I was absolutely terrible at it; I still have vivid recollections of Roxanne taking out half of Torchic's (nicknamed Torcichick by the way) HP with Rock Tomb, and Brawly sweeping my team of level 10s with Vital Throw. At one point I even got stuck in Slateport because I had no clue where to find Captain Stern, and leveled up Combusken at Route 110 to the point where it even evolved xD Every time a new route or city was discovered, I made sure to level up my team a ton, because I was paranoid that some trainer would swoop in and OHKO my entire party with some overlevelled monster.

Things didn't get any better until I was properly taught about type matchups, status problems, pretty much battling in general. I restarted the game and beat the Elite Four, despite the fact that it I was well into the first 100 hours of game time.

Cariad

world.search(you);
    Years
    • Seen Oct 25, 2023
    Mine was Ruby when I was about five or so. I got it from my late cousin, along with Leafgreen. Don't know why I played Ruby first...

Years
    My first game was Yellow. It's not my favorite now, but I loved it back then. I didn't know anything about stats or the strengths of moves (so I let Hypno forget Psychic for Poison Gas), but I learned all that by instinct, so I didn't do too badly. The only thing I utterly failed at was figuring out that Dragon types are weak to Ice. Consequently, I never used my Articuno or Dewgong against Lance in either of my numerous challenges of the Elite Four.
    For the longest time, I even kept the save file on it, until I finally got to borrow my cousin's Gameboy and transferred all of my favorites to my Silver version to restart the game. Shortly after that, the Silver cartridge's internal battery died and all of my first Pokémon were lost forever... :/

kingdenas

#Team Popplio <3
    Years
    My first Pokémon Game was Pokémon Platinum! I was a complete noob playing it! I had an overleveled Empoleon whose moves were all HM's! When I entered the Elite Four I had that Empoleon, and other Pokémon below lvl 30! I couldn't beat the Elite Four, so I asked for help to my cousin and he beated the Elite Four and Cynthia! Then he told me to never have an overleveled Pokémon and low-level Pokemon! I learned the lesson xD
    Yeah, Pokémo Platinum is my favourite Pokémon Game! I played it so many times <3

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    Blue was first for me, which I had gotten as a Christmas present (alongside a few other games). Going through each and every second of it was amazing; it was kind of tough for me to put the game down.

Starry Windy

Everything will be Daijoubu.
    Years
    I have about 3 first Pokémon games for different reasons.

The first game that I played was Pokémon Red/Blue, even though I had to borrow it from my cousin's Gameboy Color. Of course, with his save data inside. That time I'm still pretty new at Pokémon mechanic, type advantages and all, so usually I leave it to my cousin to do the thing.

My first game that I actually played was Pokémon Sapphire, with emulator, no less. That time I played quite okay, but some Gym Badge glitch makes me to unable to advance from Mauville City (unable to use Rock Smash for some reason, I can still go to Slateport City tho) that I can't advance into other side of the game. When I played the game on second time, finally I got through this.

My first game that I bought, though, was Pokémon Emerald. I have passed Mauville City this time, however, I can't finish the game as well, this time because the save data is corrupted, but nevertheless I enjoyed the game much more.

Years
    My first game was Leaf Green. Except back then I knew so little about the games that I had no idea it was a remake of Red and Blue. I only figured this out a while later when I found a guide for Red and Blue and I realised oh, it's almost exactly the same game.

sonic65101

Johto Champion
    Years
    My first Pokemon game ever was Pokemon Crystal Version for the Game Boy Color. I wish that Nintendo and GameFreak remade Crystal along with Gold and Silver. I'm still mad at them for replacing Kris with Lyra.

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
    Years
    • Seen Sep 17, 2018
    Yellow Version <3

I spent so many school nights (granted I was only in kindergarten/first grade) staying up past my bedtime with the little attachable curly light plugged into my GameBoy Color under my blankets. Boy, did that set a tone for my future lmao.

NocturnLeader

Team Nocturn Leader
    Years
    My very first game was Blue while my cousin got pPokemon red, and we would battle each other every weekend.

My Pokemon Blue Team: Blastoise, Sandslash, Fearow, Parasect, Jolteon, Moltres

his red team: Charizard, Omastar, Weezing, Dodrio, Victreebel, Zapdos

Years
    Pokemon Blue in 98 with an old classic BIG Gameboy. Picked Squirtle and beat it over a month on the school bus home. Graduated to a Gameboy Color in 99 and got Pinball, the TCG, and Yellow just before a family trip. Beat all 3 over the course of that vacation. lol

Back