• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Your first ever Pokemon game?

Years
    • Seen Sep 16, 2015
    Pokemon Blue, played on the old classic gray brick they called a Gameboy, later on the short lived Gameboy Pocket, and there was a cartridge for Super Nintendo that could play gameboy games. I thought I was so cool playing pokemon on a 14 inch screen.

Main'd my Blastoise, Arcanine, Nine Tails, Exeggutor, Gengar, and Raichu, and nothing else. They were my only lvl 100s, and they were all I needed.

MontyBellum

Sarleeko
    Years
  • I won Crystal in a contest. I think it was on the back of a potato chip bag and all I had to do was correctly answer which of the provided Pokemon was a Johto starter. Before that my parents were skeptical if buying games would be worth it or if my siblings and I would just get bored with them.

After that my parents got me copies of Red, Blue, and Yellow for Christmas.

Otamajakushi

Kuuuuuuu ku ku ku...
    Years
    • Seen Feb 18, 2017
    My first Pokémon game was Pokémon Red; I got it for Christmas in 1998. It was a huge fad at my school, so it was all around awesome. My first Pokémon was a Charmander. The save has since been destroyed (I wasn't able to recover it in time), but I still think back to those days exploring Kanto and discovering Pokémon for the first time. I should replace the battery some day!

The earliest game where the save still exists in Pokémon Silver. I was able to back it up in time, and have it stored in a lot of places. I'd say it's my most backed up file ever. I have a ton of fond memories with that game as well, memories that I refuse to lose. I'll eventually replace the battery and put the save back on the cart.

Wicked3DS

[b]Until the very end.[/b]
    Years
  • Pokémon Red! I inherited it from my cousins when they left one behind at my house with their Game Boys :P

Team Flare Lysandre

Fleur-de-lis
    Years
    • Seen Oct 21, 2015
    Pokemon Red, I actually got it for Christmas if I recall correctly.

Charmander being the first Pokemon I instantly picked.

Eventually the internal save went out, so I had to get a second Pokemon Red the following the year.

Boured

The Guildmaster
    Years
  • My first Pokemon game was Emerald though I never beat it due to the fact my dad sold it because money was scarce at that time. But it was my first Pokemon game and it was the first game I ever played so hurray, so yeah Pokemon Emerald was my first Pokemon game.

Aether

Preparing Emergency Food
    Years
  • Pokemon Red, my late grandma sent it along with a gameboy color to me for Christmas in... 1999 I think. I was already into the cards and anime at the time so I was ecstatic. How time flies.

Years
    • Seen Sep 26, 2015
    I remember when Pokemon first came out, I was 4, however, the first game I ever played, was the TCG, that should count, as though I was so young I collected the cards and would play against myself or my cousins. As I remember the Red/Blue/Yellow came out afterwards. I love Pokemon, I watched it the day it aired, Pokemon is awesome! I instantly fell in love with the series. However I only played Red/Blue/Yellow/Gold/Silver/Crystal and then FireRed and EmeraldGreen on Advance.

tokyodrift

[i]got me looking for attention[/i]
    Years
    • Age 30
    • he/him
    • Seen Mar 8, 2024
    Pokemon Red and Blue. I lived next door to a teenager and while he was cleaning his room one day, he found both versions and offered them to me. I previously had a GameBoy so it all worked out.

Lexatom

Blockbuster Advocate
    Years
  • My first Pokemon game was Pokemon Gold, and I played it on my GBA. I first got this when I was 4 years old, and loved it. However, it is not my favorite Pokemon game. (That would be Platinum)

TWOFACE

Years
  • Pokemon Yellow
    Pokemon_yellow_gameplay.jpg

Rails

Story-Teller
    Years
    • Seen Sep 23, 2015
    I was at my grandmother's house bored out of my mind when she gave me her Gameboy Color to play on. At the time I never seen Gameboy Colors so this was literally the first time I've seen one and not to mention I was really young at the time. When I started playing, the game Pokemon Red was in it.

Pokemon Red and Blue!

Grade1310

Pokemon League Official
    Years
    • Seen Sep 22, 2015
    my first game ever was pokemon red for game boy color. i was like 10-11 then and when the G/S/C came out, my friends only bought one version but i wanted all so i got them all :) im 27 today and still playing my Red

Years
    • Seen Jul 2, 2023
    The first Pokemon game I owned and played was Red. I wasn't the world's best Pokemon player (I pretty much just used my Blastoise, with its less-than-ideal moveset, for the entire game), but I had a good time with it. On subsequent playthroughs (I used to save my game to my mega memory card and start over), I gradually became a better player, catching more Pokemon and building teams.

While I enjoyed Red a lot, my favorite game has always been Gold. Gold felt a lot bigger to me than Red, and it marked my transition from a novice Pokemon player to a more experienced trainer who began to learn about breeding and competitive battling (though the bulk of my competitive battling knowledge didn't emerge until Sapphire). Red was glitchier than I would have liked, and for me, Gold build upon everything I liked about Red, got rid of some of the things I disliked (I used to be scared of glitches, and I didn't know how to screw up my game as much through glitches in Gold as I did in Red), and added many new features that improved my experience.

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
    Years
  • Pokemon Red was my first game! Sadly I lost the cartridge when I moved at 15 years old. I got the game when I was 8, as a gift.

Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Feb 22, 2024
    The first game I played was Yellow, I got the special Pikachu, Jigglypuff and Togepi game boy color with the game. I played it for awhile, then I got Crystal and sort of stopped playing it. Later in 2012 I traded a Dewgong and Kadabra over and used them instead of Pikachu as my "starter" Pokemon and beat the elite 4 and caught Mewtwo before the game finally died.

I did buy used versions of Red and Blue and used them both for trading but both got corrupt, I actually lost my starter on Blue, I had just traded Wartortle over and back when the game froze and Wartortle disappeared forever.

KetsuekiR

Ridiculously unsure
    Years
  • Ah, the first game I ever played :') It was Pokemon Gold. I had a friend around ten years ago who left my school and moved abroad, leaving my his copy of Gold and his Gameboy Color. It was the first time I did anything Pokemon related ever so i had no idea what I was doing xD I started out with a Chikorita, thinking it looked the best, for some reason. I caught a Pidgey and a Rattata and that was my entire team up until Mahogany Town :P Once I caught, out of sheer luck, the Red Gyarados, I used it almost exclusively xD By the time I finished the Elite Four, I had a level 38 Meganium, a level 16 Rattata, a level 21 Pidgeotto and a level 84 Gyarados. Yup :P

To this day, I both regret and love the decisions I made in Pokemon Gold. After all, I wouldn't be here without it :)

Back