• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Your Overall Thoughts on the New Pokémon

Adam Levine

[color=#ffffff][font="Century Gothic"]I have tried
Years
  • This thread might overlap with other existing threads in this forum, but I wanna hold a discussion that not only talks about Pokémon designs or Pokémon during leak season. Now that the game has been out for about two weeks and we've sunk our teeth into Scarlet and Violet, what do you think of the new Pokémon so far? Any favorites/least favorites? Any trends you've noticed in Game Freak's design philosophy? Some Pokémon you simply think are interesting in terms of concept/gameplay?

I'll be talking about certain Pokémon I feel strongly about in order of index number (not dex order, because the index number order is kind of a mess and we'll have to wait for HOME compatibility for an official dex order). Spoilered just to be safe, and because boy are my thoughts about the Pokémon loaded.

Spoiler:

Years
  • Gotta say, I'm fairly positive on them so far. A lot have been memorable, notably (spoilered just in case someone playing hasn't seen all of them yet):

Spoiler:

The ones I'm not so keen on:

Spoiler:
    They just don't look good to me. :(

LilyGardy

The Flowering Pokemon
    Years
  • It's a mixed bag. (Spoiler tagged)

What I really like:

Spoiler:

My least favourite new Pokemon

Spoiler:

Years
    • Seen May 8, 2024
    Favorite:

Spoiler:

Least favorite (mostly for being lazy and uninspired, because what looks good or bad is pretty subjective, but you can't argue what was done with zero effort so for me that's worse)

Spoiler:

Last edited:

Sweet Serenity

Advocate of Truth
    Years
  • This thread might overlap with other existing threads in this forum, but I wanna hold a discussion that not only talks about Pokémon designs or Pokémon during leak season. Now that the game has been out for about two weeks and we've sunk our teeth into Scarlet and Violet, what do you think of the new Pokémon so far? Any favorites/least favorites? Any trends you've noticed in Game Freak's design philosophy? Some Pokémon you simply think are interesting in terms of concept/gameplay?

I'll be talking about certain Pokémon I feel strongly about in order of index number (not dex order, because the index number order is kind of a mess and we'll have to wait for HOME compatibility for an official dex order). Spoilered just to be safe, and because boy are my thoughts about the Pokémon loaded.

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Years
    • Seen Sep 1, 2023
    Now that I've played the game, a lot of them have grown on me. Palafin has quickly become one of my new favorite Pokémon. I love the box Legendaries. Dachsbun has grown on me significantly. Tinkaton intrigues and could see it becoming a favorite of mine. Glimmora takes getting used to, but it can be pretty awesome looking. Espathra is great.

And I like the starters for the most part. Everyone dunks on Meowscarada but I think the design rocks and I can't wait to get Protean on mine so she can rock it in competitive. And I think Quaquaval has the best design of water starter we've seen in a while.

That being said, on average, the designs from this gen are a SIGNIFICANT downgrade from Generation 8. The early bug and bird lines especially.

It's so upsetting to see Corviknight and Orbeetle (two phenomenal examples of those lines done right) followed up with well...the ones we got this Gen.

Killowattrel needs and evolution badly as its looks and its stats both scream middle-stage to me.

And the bugs. Well, I don't know which one is the "main" bug-type. Spidops looks goofy as hell. Rabsca is decent.

Lokix looks badass, but it needs its stats boosted asap. It would have been much better if Lokix was the last of a three-stage line, so they could beef up its stats and make it at least somewhat viable competitively. Also, why do only hear about its Showdown Mode but we don't ever see it (except for half a second when it attacks).

Baxcalibur is very cool and its behavior in picnics is adorable, but it's disappointing to have another godzilla clone and Dragon-type as the psuedo-legendary this Gen.

Pawmot is such a disappointing first-ever Electric/Fighting type. Like, it literally looks like Pawmi just stood up. I've seen literal fan-made concepts for Electric/Fighting fakemon that are so much better.

Also, I'm glad we finally have a Poison/Steel type, but why are Varoom and Revavroom just literal engines??

Also, hot take: I think Skeledirge is actually the worst of the three starters. The bird on its head makes it derpy as hell and honestly it serves no function. It's a neat concept, but I don't think they executed it well. And I mean, did we REALLY need another Fire/Ghost type? They must really like that typing since we've gotten four lines with it in the past three generations: Alolan Marowak, Hisuian Typhlosian, Skeledirge, AND Ceruledge. And of course there's Chandelure as well.

So, in conclusion, Gen 9 has some good designs, but overall, they've been a downgrade from Gen 8.

PageEmp

No money puns. They just don’t make cents.
    Years
  • Favourite and least favourite Gen9 Pokémon?

I'm sure there was another thread for this but I think it was only discussed on before the games came out, so here, let's discuss Gen9 mons! So basically post the ones you like, ones you don't like, or even some misc. categories if you'd like.

As for me:

Good: Pawmot, Houndstone, Rabsca, Primeape's evolution, the starters that aren't the duck, Clodsire, etc.

Reasons are simply because I either like their designs or because they seem useful, or I actually tried them out and they were really fun to use

Bad: Scovillain. Personally, I think it looks like two chilli pepper heads that tried to pull of a creepy chin, only to get the face freeze from a certain modern SpongeBob episode. And to think I waited years for a Grass/Fire mon only for it to not have a good design (or stats…). Although honestly it's weirdness made me kind of attached to it.

The other mon I'll also mention isn't bad for being bad, but for being extremely disappointing. Quaquaval. Some kind of parade dancer thing? Neat! So why does it not look as neat? Why does it literally look like some dude in a outfit? Or all those random stuff slapped on it? I know many other starters have too humanoid designs but I think this one takes it way too far, to the point it doesn't even look creaturelike anymore! If I could list all the ways to make it look batter I'd be here forever.

So bad it's good: Flamigo. I stopped complaining about mons that are really just cartoon animals for a long time now, but… a literal balloon flamingo is a mon now? And has a name that just removes a letter from the basis? And by the way, this guy actually has a significantly better japanese name, that actually sorta indicates it being part Fighting. And yes I also question the Fighting typing too. And the best part: you can get it super early in the game where it has monstrous stats compared to everything else. In fact, it's actually really good in general! I mean, with Scovillain and duckster, at least you can ignore them because they aren't great in battle (or at least I heard duckster isn't) but what's really just a random flamingo ornament is actually very useful for the game despite the weirdly simple design.

Best shiny: Conveniently, the one gen9 shiny I actaully have, Cetitan! I was just wandering around and found it out of nowhere, not even realizing he was shiny. Overall, I feel like it's shiny colours should have been the actual colours as it's more interesting to be multicoloured rather than just white like the original Cetitan.

Sweet Serenity

Advocate of Truth
    Years
  • There is another thread that already exists as we speak that covers overall thoughts on the new Pokémon so far. The original poster even directly asks what your favorites and least favorites are. Because of that, I would merge this post with that one and we can continue the conversation there.

Years
    • Any pronoun
    • Seen today
    Will make a tier list. Sticks to final evolutions, barring a notable deviation. Designates C Tier as neutral. Lists Pokemon in no particular order within a tier. Bases decisions largely off design. (May have been helped by using them, in some cases.)

Wound up with a huge C tier. Split it up with C+ and C-. Reflects willingness to upvote/downvote it in the Pokemon Race.

• S: None (no new favorites)
    • A: Meowscarada, Dolliv, Naclstack, Armarouge, Ceruledge, Great Tusk, Iron Moth, Chien-Pao, Iron Valiant
    • B: Skeledirge, Lokix, Pawmot, Dachsbun, Arboliva, Kilowattrel, Espathra, Cyclizar, Farigiraf, Scream Tail, Chi-Yu, Koraidon, Miraidon
    • C+: Bellibolt, Mabosstiff, Klawf, Scovillain, Rabasca, Tinkaton, Palafin, Revavroom, Orthworm, Glimmora, Flutter Mane, Iron Thorns, Iron Bundle, Dondozo
    • C: Maushold, Toedscruel, Wugtrio, Bombirdier, Houndstone, Flamigo, Cetitan, Clodsire, Dudunsparce, Slither Wing, Iron Treads, Iron Hands
    • C-: Garganacl, Tatsugiri, Brambleghast, Veluza, Annihilape
    • D: Oinkologne, Squawkabilly, Grafaiai, Kingambit, Iron Jugulis, Baxcalibur, Ting-Lu, Roaring Moon
    • E: Quaquaval, Brute Bonnet, Sandy Shocks, Wo-Chien, Maschiff
    • F: Spidops, Gholdengo

Would probably stick Iron Valiant and Chien-Pao in S Tier, if forced to have something there.

Adam Levine

[color=#ffffff][font="Century Gothic"]I have tried
    Years
  • If there's one thing that's evident throughout the new additions, you can tell that when it comes to gameplay, Game Freak really wanted these Pokémon to be good. I don't think we've had a dex so stacked with (competitively) at least decent Pokémon before; Generation VIII gave us a few new competitive staples such as Rillaboom and Dragapult, but on the whole, I don't think a vast majority of Galar's new debuts seemed fit for VGC or singles, and I doubt you can make a case for the ones in even earlier generations.

Generation IX however? You have broken moves from the likes of Annihilape, Houndstone, Cyclizar, Gholdengo, and Garganacl; absurd abilities from the likes of the Treasures of Ruin (except Wo-Chien, which just has a worse Intimidate), Gholdengo and Garganacl (yeah, those two again); three starters who are all really good; a big stupid catfish that's basically a physical Blissey that can boost all of its stats by two stages with the right partner (Dondozo); box legendaries that continue to bring to question whether Game Freak actively loves power creep; an amazing Grassy Terrain-setter (Arboliva); possibly the least crippled "Achilles' heel" Pokémon in existence (Palafin); a hazards setter that might even justify using hazards in VGC (Glimmora); an extremely good and flexible offensive support Pokémon (Maushold); there are just so many new Pokémon that Game Freak clearly actively designed to be good in competitive play; you can even make the same case for the PLA Pokémon once they're available, since this is their first appearance in a game with PvP, and those guys are ridiculous. The only Pokémon I can really think of at the moment that are downright bad in both VGC and singles are Oinkologne, Spidops (which has a ridiculous movepool by the way), Wugtrio, Squawkabilly, Bombirdier, and maybe Klawf and Brambleghast. Sure, powercreep from DLC and HOME compatibility might change this, but there's a surprising amount of competitively good Pokémon from this new roster.

Last edited:
    Years
  • Like:
    Spoiler:

Neutral:
    Spoiler:

Dislike:
    Spoiler:

Left out the Paradox mons for now.

Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Nov 24, 2023
    The starters, the dogs (Dachsbun, Mabosstiff and Houndstone), Dolliv/Arboliva, Charcadet/Armarouge/Ceruledge, Grafaiai, Tinkaton, ChocolateWooper/Clodsire, Revavroom, Glimmora, Flamigo, Farigiraf, Kingambit, Flutter Mane, Slither Wing and the two cover legendaries. These being my favourites.
    A very good generation and region.

Back