• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Your Workplace

Outlier

For those with jobs why don't you tell us a bit about your work environment. Are the people friendly? Is it just a means of earning a paycheck to you or do you truly enjoy working there? Feel free to give a job description of what you do if you feel comfortable doing so.

And for those of you who are unemployed:
    Spoiler:

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
    Years
  • My current job is okay. It's a small campus bookstore, so I'm cool with everyone who works there. And it's a pretty chill environment. Just lots of sorting and lots of busy work :P

Sirfetch’d

I don't currently work but when I get a job I want a secluded workspace where I can work alone without any distractions. I am a person who works so much more efficiently when I am by myself because I just feel like I can do things faster and better. I'm not a group person at all haha. It would be perfect if my workplace just had a desk and my computer depending on what I do!

Years
  • Well, that's an old photo from October 2012, but my job hasn't changed since (it's only -20Celcius cold now haha)

Spoiler:

Let's just say sometimes there is really nothing to do, and sometimes it's hectic as hell.

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    I work in a warehouse. I'm only there until mid-March and then I'm focusing entirely on school and maybe getting a part time job or on campus when I feel the need for a better source of income. It's the best money around right now, and even the pay there is pretty low compared to degree oriented jobs.

Corvus of the Black Night

Wild Duck Pokémon
    Years
  • I now have a little cubicle full of pokemon plushes and figures! I am an apprentice developer with a medium sized company. I have a computer docking station with two monitors, which is helpful for one is used in a remote desktop VM thing, and the other is your regular desktop. In the office complex there is a lobby with real trees and plants growing in it and sometimes even birds! And there's several fountains and a workout place as well as a cafe that's really good but quite expensive. :p

The greatest thing is that I can just... walk up and do what I have to do. I don't have to tell anyone or anything. I don't have to beg to eat something lest I pass out, I don't have to ask to sit down because of my painful shoes, I don't have to do any of it. It really feels like all of my hard work has paid off.

I used to work in really ****** conditions though. My last job, we had to deal with in Christmas time, 12-13 hour workdays, dealing with literally hundreds of customers and kids running around and screaming. It was so bad some days that I kinda "detached" and I held onto some toy or something just to concentrate. There were nights I went home in complete tears. I was constantly threatened with my job, everyone ignored me there, nobody took into consideration how I felt but expected me to be interested in their lives... yeah I'm glad I'm out of there. 30 year olds acting like teenagers. Jee-sus.

_Dean_

smoke if you got it
    Years
    • Age 32
    • USA
    • Seen Sep 22, 2016
    Daigonite, your new job sounds incredible. I'd love to score something like that, but I found out quickly that I don't have the patience for college and I couldn't really see myself behind the desk ya know? But that's great that you've gotten out of those conditions!

I recently quit working at a hotel that I was with for 1 year. I worked room service, which means I sat around and waited for someone in the hotel to order room service, then I delivered it, collected the tip AND 20% gratuity. Not a bad gig, but it definitely got crazy as hell during the rushes since it was still a restaurant 'inside' a hotel.
    But now I just started a new job working with disabled men in a home and it's awesome, but it's only to hold me over until I start my blacksmithing apprenticeship this year. ;)

Corvus of the Black Night

Wild Duck Pokémon
    Years
  • Hey it's cool. Do what works for you. I got freaking lucky to hear about the opportunity. Grab what you can and don't hesitate, and always work on your skills and HAVE SOMETHING TO SHOW. This is like the best thing you can do regardless of your craft.

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
  • I work in the stockroom of a major American retail chain. My job not only entails the standard stockroom stuff like taking inventory and regular auditing or our stock, but also filling online orders, delivering said orders to customers, unboxing and moving floor displays to the showroom, repairing and refurbishing damaged or used merchandise so that the bosses can sell it at a discount, and general maintenance stuff.

My co-workers are really cool folks, and while it doesn't pay much, but I can still afford all my necessities, go to school, and have money left over for my own leisure. XD

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
    Years
  • I work at a craft store nearby my house. It's a short 10 min drive. Honestly I couldn't ask for a better job. I started working there in December as a regular team member, then I got an upgrade to Front-End Lead. Basically it's when I'm in charge of the front part of the store, and making sure all the customers get the fastest service possible at the registers. I have very little management privileges (in case a cashier made a derp, I can go and fix it in an instant), but if a worker has a question about scheduling, or general store maintenance, they'll have to go through the top managers, in which we have four of them.

Do I like working there? Yes! Crafting is one of my hobbies and I'm glad to have landed a job in a place where I can show off my creativity. It also gives me an opportunity to show customers what I love as well as helping them with anything they need. As of the last time I worked, which was yesterday, I never had a single customer walk out of the store angry. We're very strict about customer service, so we strive to make sure everything works out great.

Years
    • Seen Feb 5, 2023
    I work at McDonalds, where besides GAP, a lot of the crazies work at. My work environment smells like grease and food ofc. I'm friends with the majority people I work with, and the job is alright. Glad it's just a high school job though and nothing else.

Puddle

Mission Complete✔
    Years
  • I work at a grocery store called Publix. Most of the employees are very friendly. Publix stands for politeness and stuff so you rarely see a mean employee. However, some of the customers that come in are total butt heads and they deserve to get eggs smushed in their face.

Honest

Hi!
    Years
  • I'm a tutor at a tutorial that teaches primarily children ranging from Pre-K to 8th grade, though there are sessions for older kids. Honestly, I have the job simply for the money. Not that I hate the job, although sometimes it can get incredibly annoying. I like working with most of the kids, especially my 5th grade class, which is full of talented little girls and a boy lmao. My boss is nice for the most part. My cousin works with me, and according to her, my boss actually loves me, which I guess is great, right? My other employee, however, was the kid who caused about 50 to 75 kids to get suspended from school in my Junior year for a cheating ring. Despite that, I don't really have any personal qualms with him.

AluminiumOxide

Aka Ansirent
    Years
  • Well just doing some work out in University after this Push up got boring i am sure to fill my life with Civil engineering job but still too time for that gym. Just waiting to get a good result so get a good job.

Kotone

someone needed a doctor?
    Years
  • i love my job for the most part, but retail will always drive me crazy. i work with the video games at the store i'm at so i'm pretty lucky (:

Back