• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

YouTube to add "Bumper Ads"

Guest123_x1

Just what we need. More stupid advertisements for products that we probably will never buy. Then again, this is certainly a sign of the times to come economically.
    Besides, what's to stop Google from expanding these mandatory ads to the desktop/laptop PC version of YouTube? I can definitely see that coming soon.
    This is one of the reasons I don't want anything to do with smartphones and am very sad that they are killing every other technology-related industry out there, especially PCs. Despite what everyone else is doing these days and claims, no one will ever convince me that smartphone internet is superior to browsing on a real desktop or laptop computer (and also no one will ever convince me that going mobile phone-only is superior to still keeping a landline account in service.)

Mewtwolover

Mewtwo worshiper
    Years
  • Besides, what's to stop Google from expanding these mandatory ads to the desktop/laptop PC version of YouTube?
    Nothing but those ads can be blocked in the PC version unless the ad is added to the video file itself because PC adblockers are better than mobile ones.

Silently Slow

An Okay Guy
    Years
  • It's not that bad to be honest. Ads are necessary. I used to kinda like the ads when you could skip them after 5 seconds though. I started using ad blocker when unskippable 30 second ads were introduced. However, the 5 second ads for mobile seem perfectly fine. Small price to pay in my opinion.

Years
  • I think they'll hinder the viewers, since we mostly care about the videos rather than the ads. My home laptop has an ad-blocker that makes me able to not view these ads before the actual video starts, but man it's a dick move here if they're going to put unskippable ads on mobiles.

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
    Years
  • Oh this will definitely hinder viewers. I mean, when was the last time you saw an online ad that you actually found helpful? 99 times out of 100 you just want to watch the video. But the sad reality is, it probably won't put a dent in Youtube's viewership, so it's just a net gain for them, which I'm sure they're aware of and it's the reason they did it.

Years
  • Wait: are they replacing the longer ads with those quick 5-second ads, or are they going to have both on mobile? If it's only the former, then I really see no issue with that because the amount of time you had to stare at an ad before being able to skip it was 5 seconds anyways.

Starry Windy

Everything will be Daijoubu.
    Years
  • For me, the ads getting shortened to around 5 seconds is good idea, but it's still no good if they're unskippable, because I'm not quite fond of it when I'm in the middle of watching video on mobile and suddenly getting interrupted by some ads cutting in the line.

EC

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen Jul 1, 2022
    I rarely see ads on mobile viewing anyway, even without an ad blocking app, and when I do, it's normally skippable after 5 seconds anyway, so no big deal to me.

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen May 19, 2024
    The few times that I watch videos on my tablet, I have to wait five seconds before the ad is skippable. It's no big change to have the ads be now unskippable, since they're still five seconds long.

I don't think that these new ads will really change anything. For those people who watch videos more on PC, there's the ad-blockers that stop ads from even appearing. For those who watch videos on mobile, the amount of the ad that anyone pays attention to is the five-second "you can skip this ad" button down in the corner.

Unfortunately, ads are what pay the people whose content we watch and the people who work at the platform we watch this content on. It's just a necessary evil that we have to deal with, and I'd much rather have five second of ads before a video than whatever it is on television.

Years
  • A lot of people are probably going to be annoyed at the inability to skip these 5 second ads as evidenced by this thread alone, but YouTubers are dependent on that ad revenue to live.

It won't personally effect me because I pay $10/month for ad-free viewing as well as the offline playlists and being able to turn off my phone's display without audio cutting out (all of which combined are worth it to me), so I was already not seeing ads on mobile anyway.

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Online now
    A lot of people are probably going to be annoyed at the inability to skip these 5 second ads as evidenced by this thread alone, but YouTubers are dependent on that ad revenue to live.
    They might not depend on it as much as one might think. People who made creating videos on Youtube their job, aren't stupid. They're aware that stuff like adblock exists. If they don't get enough money through ad revenue, then they'll just find a different way. That's why things like sponsored videos, Twitch subscriptions, merchandise, Patreon, etc. exist in the first place.

As someone who really likes their adblock I have to wonder what differense that should make. At the end of the day, they're still the same kind of ads, but seemingly made more "bearable".

Drayton

Chilled Dude of The Elite Four
    Years
    • He/They/Them
    • Seen Feb 21, 2024
    At least skip this AD appear whenever your watching after 5 seconds is no biggie, but majority of users possible use Adblock app anyway and it would interrupt them somehow.

Micael Alighieri

Helix Boo / Lord Kaktus, ex-member from Whack a Ha
    Years
    • Seen May 24, 2017
    I don't care about the duration of the ads, the fact is they exist and they will be there. We have enough advertisements on TV, on the radio, on the Internet, on the consumables and objects we buy and even on the street, what's the point of viewing a random video if an ad will pop up everytime and the 40% of the time the video won't be even loaded completely? I think this is one of the excesses of monopoly.

Last edited:
    Back