• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Did Anyone Else Just Not Like This Game At All?

Shy Kairi

Complete Pokedex Dreamer.
Years
I had mixed feelings.

Kalos sucked. It really did. There was almost zero surfing. (I wanted to ride around on a Lapras. T_T)
The trainer customization was awesome. For girls atleast.
The Game was, as you said, Too easy.
Post game was lame. Seriously, 16 badges should be a usual thing by now.

I'm not looking forward to OR/AS now. Generation III pokemon kinda sucked. I really hope they include other generation pokemon.

SaniOKh

Too old for this stuff
Years
I'll have a go too.

Too easy - I'll be honest: this part I liked :) . Anything that lets me finish the game without grinding is good for me.

Too few events - It could be too early to complain about this, but IIRC, Victini was distributed right after B and W were released, so the fact that none of the new event exclusives were distributed yet is a little dissapointing.

Lacking in post-game content - I wholeheartedly agree. Last generation basically unlocked half of the region after beating the game, and what we have here is just a city and not even a single route. Not as pathetic as R/S postgame (at least we have a new quest and the Friend Safari) , but it's almost there.

Unstickable characters - I agree as well. Bianca and Cheren had character arcs, you could see them grow during the adventure. These guys however aren't growing. And while I'm at it, Gen 5 did a great job making Gym Leaders more interesting and memorable, but in this gen? Only Korrina ever does something outside being a Gym Leader you will fight and never see again, and that's it.

Boring plot / not menacing bad guys - I agree. There's a pattern that has been in place since Gen 2 where the story basically ends between the seventh Gym and the last Gym, and the rest is more of an afterthought. After seeing this for three generations, I was happy to see Gen 5 throw some curveballs here and there (not to mention B/W's excellent ending) , but Gen 6 brings the pattern back in full force. As for the bad guys, I was not impressed. So, OK, Lysandre wants to bring on mass genocide. That makes him look more like a catoonish supervillain, in the same vein as Cyrus. Ghetsis was different because of the way he operated (in B/W at least) : he brainwashed his own son and used him as a puppet, he hid behind messages of freedom and made his people firmly believe that the crimes they were committing were the only right thing to do for the greater good, while working on his own agenda behind their backs... this guy was less of a ridiculous supervillain, and more like a real-life shady politician, and for me, that's what made him the best villain: he was much more believable and somewhat grounded in reality.

Lackluster new Pokémon - I did like most of the new Pokémon, but there just wasn't enough of them. I loved B/W because during the main story they ONLY used the new Pokémon, it gave me the feeling of discovering the series all over again. Here, all I see are mostly the same old Pokémon I already captured tons of times before, with some new ones here and there, and I'm just not impressed.

The Champion - She did nothing during the story and I never cared for her. At least her team was OK.

My thoughts on X/Y: I liked the tweaks in the gameplay and balance, and most of the new features, but that's pretty much it. The leap to 3D did nothing for me, and the actual content (region, story...) was "meh" at best.

Last edited:

Jasonmii

Der Kaffee geht auf mich.
Years
  • Age 26
  • Ohio
  • Seen Jan 23, 2015
Although I love this game, I can honestly say it's not the best one out there. I will still stand by 4th gen. lol I know this is a game for all ages, but it was too childish to me. It came off as too easy (this is without the exp. share on). And I feel like the game left out a lot. Male customization. *cough cough* As well as the story. I personally cannot recall any part of this game, other than the fact that a man with the same ideology as Hitler wanted to destroy the world. The end was okay, I suppose. I'm not trying to hate on the game, but there was a lot of room for improvement. Out of all of this nitpicking, the 3D models were... How do you say...firm?

Braxien

Banned
Years
I have recently began playing this game, and I have so far enjoyed it. However, the first few routes/towns had no interesting storyline or plot whatsoever. There should be something interesting occurring early in the game, like in Pokémon Black/White with Team Plasma, to entice the player.

Last edited:

Sandslash Fan

Spikey Boi
Years
  • Age 44
  • D.C.
  • Seen Apr 25, 2024
I didn't like the wasted code for the Cafe feature. Spending money to get partial DEX entries? Lame.

Years
  • Seen Feb 5, 2023
I liked the games, my favorite part was how GameFreak ventured out and finally made the game 3D. The graphics were good, and the gameplay was good but short. I also enjoyed many of the new Pokemon, Talonflame, Litleo, and Meowstic were definitely my three favorite! Two things I didn't like was Team Flare and the short post game. I wish GameFreak had added something like the Battle Frontier or even incorporated some type of DLC. Furthermore, I didn't like how we could get EXP Share easier on. it made the game way too easy, however I did like that you had the option to not use it.

Years
Here's my input.

Too easy - This all depends on if you used the Exp. Share often, and while I did use it throughout my entire run in X it didn't bother me that much but you know after looking into it, leaving it disabled for too long can put you at a disadvantage level-wise given some areas can get quite the level jump. As Stargazer mentioned earlier in the thread, the large regional Dex makes it hard to predict what the NPCs have unless if you played the game a lot. I remember reading the reason behind this change was to help save time while grinding since our lives are getting busier lately, but if you're someone who loves doing challenges than I recommend against using it and only turn it on when you really need to train.

Too few events - As has been mentioned, the games haven't even been out for a year yet but compared to past generations I do admit there has been a lack of decent events but I'm sure it'll pick up the pace soon.

Lacking in post-game content - This is pretty much expected for the first games of a new generation, and while it may not be on the level of postgame that HeartGold/SoulSilver and Black 2/White 2 gave us it is thankfully not as tiny as say, Red/Blue/Yellow or Ruby/Sapphire. The Looker sidequest was pretty fun though.

Unstickable characters - I do have to make a dirty confession that the majority of Kalos' characters were forgettable, especially Trevor and Tierno (Shauna not so much) along with most of the Gym Leaders but this is to blame for them not having much involvement outside of the Gyms barring Korrina.

Boring plot / not menacing bad guys - I'm with Stargazer on this one, Team Flare's plot was actually very interesting yet threatening in the big picture because it's very much like a huge genocide plot, where they try to use the ultimate weapon to eliminate everyone in Kalos who isn't part of Team Flare. They did come pretty close to pulling it off only for the player to thwart their plans. When I first heard of this plot it made the game just that more intense for me.

Lackluster new Pokémon - Again, I disagree. While we may have had the smallest number of new Pokemon of any generation here, a good share of them actually had the moves and stats to dominate a good chunk of NPCs, and I tried a good majority of the bunch myself (so far I haven't used the Y exclusives or the ones that needed trading to evolve barring Trevenant since I caught a wild one) and they actually did a pretty good job but maybe that's just me. The starters were all really good, they have the stats to be capable of being good performers on an in-game team. Also, if you're not interested you still have other options in the various older generation Pokemon.

A crappy Champion - Diantha I do have to admit really did suffer lack of development in comparison to pretty much all the other Champions but she does make up for it with a good team (dat Mega Gardevoir) and a pretty battle theme. Her team can actually be quite menacing if you go in unprepared so yeah not all terrible.

captainfez3

Old School Trainer
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 4, 2019
I'm half and half. I think some of the Pokemon were absolutely amazing (Chesnaught, Goodra, Greninja) and some were horrible (Barbacle, Swirlix, Aromotisse) but I feel like you could make that argument for every generation.

I liked the storyline and characters, even if they weren't developed that much or memorable, but I did not like the region of Kalos that much, so that is a major problem. The online features in this game are easier to use than ever, so I feel like being able to battle and trade randomly has enhanced my enjoyment greatly.

All in all, X and Y were, as I said, 50/50 for me. I'm VERY excited for ORAS this November, because I loved the geography of the Hoenn region, the Pokemon introduced in Gen 3, and the endgame (so please don't screw it up GF!). Also, I think they made a major misstep when they started building so many cities in their games. Pokemon is at its best when you are going through small burgs and places of that sort.

SnowpointQuincy

Seeker of FRIEND CODES
Years
After Korina, the game a slump it never fully recovers from. Ramos is probably the worst Gym Leader. None of the Gym Leaders do anything except stand there waiting to loose. Made the whole middle of the game feel lifeless.

As for competitive battling... I couldn't be happier.

SnowpointQuincy

Seeker of FRIEND CODES
Years
EV Training is faster, IV breading is faster, Trading is faster.

Battle Spot is very active, almost instant matches.

The Special Battle option changes regularly. The past two months were Inverse Battles. The next two months are 6V6 No Items Allowed.

The September Season is... Any pokemon who was ever in the top 12 usage so far is BANNED. (for Special Battle during that battle season.)

The game makes getting competitive mons faster, and encourages players to come back to keep the game populated.

RedWar

Learning...
Years
One thing I haven't seen mentioned positive wise is the sheer number of 'mons on each route. It meant that exploring routes was more interesting (if you didn't cheat and check online).

Also agree re the positive of online play and ease of getting competitive mons. This was also the game that got me into competitive doubles, which I am finding more interesting than singles.

However I also agree on the weakness of the story (good idea but failed to engage me) and the champion.

The positives far out way the negatives though. Maybe there is a lack of post game content but I haven't noticed as online play post game is so good!

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Jul 24, 2014
I didn't think it was anything special and was too overrated. Besides being able to customise my trainer and the fresh 3D graphics, the plot was ridiculously boring. As well as that, it was too easy to win the game, even when I took my time. Honestly, I expected the Elite 4 to be a challenge, but I ended up knocking out each of the Champion's pokemon in a single hit. Sylveon too op

Oblivion Wing

IGN: Havel 3DS Friend Code: 5215-3694-9757
Years
I like the story, it did what every other pokemon game has done for me, which is entertain, even though my favorite story is gen 1 and 2.

As far as difficulty, i believe they made it fair so you can train your pokemon quick.

And i kept my expectations low, i didnt think the pokemon would look and interact how they do in 3D, and that has been something i thought it would only be in my pokemon Stadium cartridge for 64...

There's more to it but i never got dissapointed with Pokemon.

Got my two pennies rite derr. :)

Neil Peart

Learn to swim
Years
Love the graphics update, but the 3D did nothing for me. It made the game really laggy in spots and wasn't all that impressive. I did enjoy the story - in the end. Until AZ appeared, it was a typical Pokémon storyline. Way too easy with the exp. share, but I like the Battle Chateau for the money and experience. Then again, both of those things are totally optional. The PSS is amazing. Battles, trades, etc. are more accessible than ever, and the wonder trade is a neat little addition.

All in all I enjoyed the game. I don't think it's as overrated as people are saying it is.

Chozen1

Master of Disaster
Years
The game had cool stuff, like customization and the 3D but I hated the evil team, the story, and the end game (which is almost non existent.) I was really disappointed in X and Y. The game was one of my least favorite games, right behind Black, White, and their squeals. With ORAS the story, game play, evil teams, and even the 3D Graphics (X and Y's biggest feature) looks better then X and Y. The game is worth buying, like every Pokemon game but unlike any other game in the series I can't find myself replaying it. I've never had the problem with a Pokemon game. I've played Emerald over 20 times and still play it today. Hopefully Game Freak redeems themselves with ORAS (which I have no doubt they will.)

Last edited:

Thoriére

[i]If everything's a dream, don't wake me.[/i]
Years
I actually made a thread for this here. It's more of a critique thread, but I believe that it's more or less the same thing.

To put it briefly, Pokémon X and Y could be considered a step into a new frontier, but if I'm being honest, if this is the example for the new horizon, I think I'll hang back for a while. It had a lot of good features to it as well; I loved the customization available, as well as the ability to interact with your Pokémon first-hand, but I'm not sure if that's enough to redeem the game itself.

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
Years
I would like to point out that Lance appears like one time in Johto games, so having lack of Diantha really doesn't seem that surprising to me.

I think that X and Y are not bad games, but they are lacking in comparison to everything that was done in gen 5. The gen 5 games were so quality that we kinda got spoiled by it I think.

mew_nani

Pokécommunity's Licensed Tree Exorcist
Years
Was it terrible to me? Well no, I certainly can't call it that. But having played the main games of every generation minus Black/White 2, it's definitely the worst main series game yet. Now why do I say that? Well...

First, the whole Mega Evolution shtick. On paper it seems fine and it's definitely a neat twist battle-wise. But the way it's handled in the games and in the anime puts me off a bit. The game tells you it's a recent discovery and very little is known about it. But then the bad guy uses it and the Champion uses it and they stuff it into Pokemon Origins and now the Ruby/ Sapphire remakes, which canonically took place nearly a decade before X and Y... Also it's stated in game that it seems to only occur in Kalos. Why's it in Japan without. any prior evidence?

The story also bugs me quite a bit. We have a guy who is obviously a bit of a nut and wants to kill everybody. Fine. We have a king who has walked for centuries with mass genocide hanging over his head. Also fine. We have a giant machine under Geosenge that is powered by a sleeping legendary. Neato. But the way all these elements are pieced together is lackluster. Our king, who should really be a huge part of the story, only shows up three times and then vanishes. Lysandre isn't given enough depth, as to me at least he's a nutball everybody feels sorry for even though he just tried to murder them all. Why's he like this? What made him so insane? Anistar City has this giant crystal sundial that has no explanation at all, and Parfum Palace also suffers from a lack of depth. The guy there's just eccentric and even gives you a fireworks show for finding his Furfrou. Why are we supposed to dislike him?

But maybe the thing that bugs me the most is just how short and linear the routes are. Route 1 is literally a few feet from the next town, and the other routes don't leave a lot of room for explanation. In all the other games the routes were lengthy, had loads of hidden secrets, and gave you loads of incentive to explore once you got the next HM move. Here it's just one straight shot, and it's boring. We have all these routes, and all but a few were just barren.

Some other things bother me like some of the lackluster Pokemon and Mega Evolution designs, but I can chalk those up to Kalos being next to Corna. The rest I can't make excuses for, and it makes the game feel unfinished overall. Don't get me wrong, it's still fun... but it's really lacking and could use more polish.

Years
  • Seen Jun 17, 2017
Overall this game does have its flaws, but personally I liked it a lot better than Black and White.

While I agree that the story of X and Y was quite lacking and Team Flare felt kind of rushed, it was a pretty good game that feels fun to play through because of how Kalos is designed (Unova felt a bit boring to explore, and I like Sinnoh the most).

The post-game is lacking quite a bit (GF y u no Battle Frontier?!), though the post-game of Pokémon games these days is more focused on competitive online battles.

The design of the new Pokémon was at lest a lot better than Gen V's new Pokémon (sentient Ice-Cream and garbage piles - seriously?), like Yveltal or the starters. Though admittedly they didn't add as many Pokémon this time.

While I have only played Platinum, Black and X, I still don't find X to be worse than any of the others (I think I liked Platinum the most though). Once I get Alpha Sapphire I will be able to see roughly how Gen III was in comparison to X/Y, but I still think X/Y are a great addition to the series.

Ultimately these games are made to sell, and the more accessible it looks the better for potential customers. The thing about Pokémon games is that the majority of fans will buy every new game that comes out regardless of what is in it (though Pokémon games are always worth buying, they are quality games), so they aim it at new customers with the knowledge that they don't need to really try to appeal to veterans because they will buy the games anyway, and usually enjoy them.

I think X/Y is more of an accessible game to introduce new people to Pokémon games, and that OR/AS will be more of a game for people who already know the ins and outs of Pokémon games from experience.

Back