• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do you like buying used games?

Years
    • Seen Nov 14, 2023
    I only buy used games when it's obvious that buying a game brand new will be stupid expensive or impossible to find like GBA games or Gamecube games. If it's a game from PS3 onwards, I much prefer getting them brand new.

Last edited:

EC

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen Jul 1, 2022
    I only have one used game in my entire gaming collection from the N64 onwards; Crackdown for the 360.

BlazingCobaltX

big mood. bye
    Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Jun 19, 2019
    Yes because they're often cheaper. :D Though I'm only buying games these days that are a bit older (GB-DS) so I can't get them new. If it were possible, though, I would: buying a new game fresh from the factory feels very satisfying.

Alakazam17

[b]Long time no see![/b]
    Years
  • I almost always buy used, with Pok?mon and Legend of Zelda(and more recently Fie Emblem) being my only exceptions. They're usually much cheaper, so as a result my library is a lot bigger than if I had bought everything brand new.

My only caveat is that I prefer to buy used games in the original casing(opened of course, but still present). I refused to buy several copies of Super Mario Bros. Wii because they only came in a generic game case, but I eventually found the one I was looking for, and it was just $30. ^_^

BlazingCobaltX

big mood. bye
    Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Jun 19, 2019
    My only caveat is that I prefer to buy used games in the original casing(opened of course, but still present). I refused to buy several copies of Super Mario Bros. Wii because they only came in a generic game case, but I eventually found the one I was looking for, and it was just $30. ^_^
    Do you want just the casing or do you prefer CIB?

Alakazam17

[b]Long time no see![/b]
    Years
  • Do you want just the casing or do you prefer CIB?
    I had to google that acronym, but from the list of options it seems "Complete in Box" makes the most sense. :P

And to answer that question, no. The manuals etc. are nice to have, but I mostly like the cases for their aesthetic value on my video game shelf. Having a bunch of unlabeled cases wouldn't look as good. Plus it would be harder to find the game I'm looking to play. xD

Sawsbuck

used Jump Kick! It's super effective!
    Years
  • Unless it's a Pokemon game I buy most of my games used, mainly cause it's cheap
    I go to Disc Replay (like GameStop but way better) for my GameCube, GBA, and DS games
    I prefer going to an actual store if I can instead of getting it from eBay because the shipping is usually stupidly expensive and more than the game itself

Years
  • I don't mind used games as long as I get the actual box and it's in relatively good condition. There's something about having a box in good condition that's really appealing to me, so if I can get that requirement met then I'm totally ok with used games. I don't particularly mind if download codes/pamphlets are missing, but it's always nice to have them.

BlazingCobaltX

big mood. bye
    Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Jun 19, 2019
    I had to google that acronym, but from the list of options it seems "Complete in Box" makes the most sense. :P

And to answer that question, no. The manuals etc. are nice to have, but I mostly like the cases for their aesthetic value on my video game shelf. Having a bunch of unlabeled cases wouldn't look as good. Plus it would be harder to find the game I'm looking to play. xD
    Oh sorry, should've written out the acronym myself. ;a; I agree though; cases are kinda a must but manuals are very redundant. I am glad to have my DS Pok?mon games complete though, except Diamond which I threw out when I was younger. I am considering buying the case for that game so that all my DS games are cased.

thedestinedblade

Radiant Cool Boy
    Years
  • When you're into collecting old games like I am, there's really no choice unless you got money to spare. Current stuff is mostly new as I tend to pick up the games I want on release day.

Last edited:

El Héroe Oscuro

IG: elheroeoscuro
    Years
  • When you're into collecting old games like I am, there's really no choice unless you got money to spare. Current stuff is mostly new as I tend to pick up the games I want on release day.

I'm sure you have to pay a pretty penny for those games, especially if you're into collecting old school SNES games /:

Yukari

I'm sure you have to pay a pretty penny for those games, especially if you're into collecting old school SNES games /:

The prices for old games are really schizophrenic and can range from $1 to well over $200.

For instance I own all three of the original Megaman X games on SNES and all of them are $50 and up (2 and 3 actually being over $100,) yet you can get Super Mario Bros for around $5.

Graine

It looks at you and casts Mind Blast.
    Years
    • Seen Apr 10, 2018
    I collect N64 stuff, so yeah I love buying used :P
    Newer releases are mostly new though.

Dter ic

Fire Emblem....[b]HEROES[/b]
    Years
  • If the used game is much cheaper than I'd buy it without hesitation. Most of my games are new though as the price difference isn't much.

El Héroe Oscuro

IG: elheroeoscuro
    Years
  • The prices for old games are really schizophrenic and can range from $1 to well over $200.

For instance I own all three of the original Megaman X games on SNES and all of them are $50 and up (2 and 3 actually being over $100,) yet you can get Super Mario Bros for around $5.
    So what's your opinion on the SNES Classic? Would that still scratch that itch in collecting old school games, or would you only be satisfied if you had the separate physical cartridges?
    I collect N64 stuff, so yeah I love buying used :P
    Newer releases are mostly new though.

How is collecting Mario Party games for the Nintendo 64? Those always cost a bit of money :P

pastelspectre

Memento Mori★
    Years
  • i don't mind buying used games as long as they're in good condition and go for a lot cheaper than the original price. i have a lot of used games in my collection haha

Years
    • Seen Nov 14, 2023
    Speaking of video game conditions, don't you hate it when you buy a game brand new and you see a slight dent or cut in the case? If only the plastic wrapping provided sturdy protection lol

Graine

It looks at you and casts Mind Blast.
    Years
    • Seen Apr 10, 2018
    How is collecting Mario Party games for the Nintendo 64? Those always cost a bit of money :P
    While fairly expensive, Mario games are pretty much everywhere. They're not expensive due to their rarity, but because people love them and because it's Mario. So, with a bit of patience and research, you're bound to find the right deal! That's why I love flea markets and garage sales.

Usually, the most expensive games aren't the ones you'd expect.. :P

Desert Stream~

Holy Kipper!
    Years
    • She/Her
    • Seen Aug 20, 2023
    I hate buying used. I only do it if I really have to. especially disc games, as there's probably a few scratches or fingerprints or whatever. luckily I was able to find a new copy of Xenoblade chronicles :D

Back