• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Nintendo Switch Lite

User Anon 1848

It will cost $200 and be released on September 20. First impressions?

I'm not sure whether to get this or hold out for the rumored pro version.

Last edited:

lilaë21

Roaming Sinnoh
    Years
  • Overall it seems like a good deal, I'm not personally interested as I already have one and use it nearly equally in handheld and docked mode, but if someone is looking forward to only use it as a portable then I think it makes a lot of sense for that price, that IIRC that's more or less the same launch price of the 3DS hardware revisions.

As for choosing between this and the original, this is just optimized for portable gaming at the expense of the other features, it should be more comfortable being smaller and lighter and the battery should last more, it ends up filling a very different target (anyone who isn't interested in the hybrid console features, or in games not playable in handheld mode - IIRC that's only 1-2 Switch and Super Mario Party though, imho definitely not essential titles); of course I'd say it's overall inferior but the lower price makes up for it, like it was with the 2DS. As expected this is the full successor to the 3DS, and it makes sense for it to come out now that SwSh and AC are due to be out soon. I don't know about the Pro version, it was rumoured a lot less and imho with only this one being announced it's going to take at least one more year or maybe more to see one, if we are going to have a Switch Pro and not a retrocompatible Switch 2 anyway.

My only doubt after seeing that is about the sticks, surely they're more comfortable than a circle pad, but I wouldn't ever store that in a bag as shown in the reveal video for fear of breaking them (not that I think storing any expensive piece of hardware without a case is a good idea anyway).

Years
  • i'm definitely a sucker for pokemon-themed special editions, i think this one looks beautiful! the magenta and blue on off-white is really stunning. i already have a switch though, so won't be getting this one, but i appreciate nintendo's efforts to make more affordable consoles! its also a really great way to get younger kids or people who arent typically interested in gaming into games like pokemon and animal crossing.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • I prefer the larger, can-be-docked one. It seems good for those wanting a cheaper option and don't care for tv support, rumble, etc, but as I have the original I'll happily stick to it. Dpad looks nice though.

Some colours are alright, although the gray for the Pokemon themed one isn't great imo.

Years
  • Good idea, and probably something I'd have considered buying if I didn't already have a Switch. Didn't think I'd be using docked at all (so this one would've been perfect if it came out earlier) but now that I'm somewhere with a good TV screen, I've realized how nice and convenient that is. Especially when my hands get sore from holding the darn heavy thing haha.

also why can't we just have more pastel pink options??!

Years
  • I like playing with my switch docked, but my boyfriend prefers handheld. A cheaper, smaller version does make sense, tho! I'm a little envious of the dpad as well lmao.
    Given its launch coinciding with the remaster of Link's Awakening, I'm surprised there's not going to be a special edition LoZ Switch Lite.

I'm not the hugest fan of the yellow, either. I'd like a pastel pink or GameCube Indigo tbh.

Years
  • I'm particularly pretty wary, mostly because I'm not sure of the overall dollar to dollar savings on this. I feel like if you were to get this + a brand new Switch game, it'll cost about the same as it would a refurbished Switch (assuming you get the refurbished Switch from a reputable retailer). So I guess the big question is whether or not $50ish price difference is big enough to justify if you're buying the Switch Lite also new, which... ultimately varies from person to person. If it were me and I didn't already have a Switch and saw these two side by side, I'd just save up a bit more and get the regular Switch. But that's just me; I didn't get the original Switch until like a year after it came out, haha.

I do realize that there's a demographic out there for this, perhaps those who want to get a Switch but feel like they'd only play one or two games on it or something. Or maybe there's a parent out there that doesn't like how fragile the Joy-Cons on the original Switch are and feels this is a much more kid-friendly alternative. I feel there's a market out there for this, but IMO, the Switch Lite would be at its best if its bought in a bundle with a price cut or something or if it's on sale in the holidays, since there's more value to be had at that point, I think.

Last edited:
    Years
  • I plan on getting a Switch Lite myself, just not day one. It might be a while before I can afford one. I'm thinking of going with the grey version when I do get one. The price is just right for me and I want to support Nintendo by buying one new.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • i think this a great idea. provides a way for those that want to play a few switch games without having to pay the full price for a switch an opportunity to do so while also being a better alternative in terms of price for those watching their budget. i already have the standard dock and go version of course, but i think this was a smart move and can also help reel in some buyers that are on the fence or lack the funds for the original. makes me wonder if there will ever be a version that's permanently docked, though. would be interesting to see.

i don't see myself getting one of these personally, except for maybe years down the line for collection purposes or if there is a special version released with a design i like.

Years
  • Not something I'd buy, even if my current Switch broke, but I really dig the idea. Especially the yellow and turquoise colors! They look so pretty.

I really do hope they've fixed their joystick drift issues though... if the left sticks still drift, what are they going to do? You can replace the stick in your Joycons yourself for relatively cheap, and it's not difficult, but I don't know if I'd want to disassemble a Switch just to replace a stick. I wouldn't want to send in the whole system for a single drifting stick either, even in warranty.

Pyrax

Midnight Guest
    Years
    • he/him
    • UK
    • Seen May 2, 2024
    A smaller Switch revision was a given, but now I'm reminded of that WSJ rumour about two revisions. A more powerful model later on to coincide with the PS5 and NexBox would be an interesting scenario imo.

Last edited:

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
  • Honestly, I don't have a Switch, and this being announced makes me just want to buy the Switch Lite instead. I don't really like playing games on the tv, and I wasn't honestly planning on it if I were to have bought a switch anyway. I'm definitely buying this model in December when I can drop the money on it and both Sword and Shield at the same time.

Years
  • I like the idea of it, I liked it more when the rumors said it could be dockable. And you cannot connect, at least, joycons to it. So I don't know about pro controllers.

Years
  • Shame it doesn't have the ability to output to a TV and use it as the controller.

It's definitely a great option for people who prefer handheld gaming and aren't bothered about playing on a TV.

Personally, I prefer gaming on a TV/monitor. My Switch has remained docked and in the spot I put it when I first set it up.

So the Nintendo Switch Lite isn't for me.

I'm happy I have a normal Switch for the time being. Although that might change if/when the "Pro" version is announced.

Last edited:
    Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    I never docked my Switch anyway, but it seems weird to remove the one feature that made it switch, ya know? Either way, I'll happily get one! Like I said, I don't dock mine anyway and pretty much exclusively use it in handheld mode so as long as system transfers are fairly easy I will definitely pick one up and sell my current Switch.

Emilia

~ free falling
    Years
  • As someone who still doesn't have a Switch, I'm not sure which one to get now (if I ever do anyway). I'm leaning towards the original one though.
    I haven't picked up a console game in a long time besides my 3DS/DSi but the option to be able to would be really nice.
    I'm in love with that Pokémon design though ♥

Years
  • I plan on getting Switch one day and was waiting for more handheldy version. But I'm not sure if I like this version. I would prefer detachable joy-cons as I always found it like a great idea for collectors to have bunch of different joy-cons. I don't care about playing on TV so the dock would be mostly useless for me. And the color themes are pretty meh. Where is red? You know the flagship color of Nintendo? I would get Pokémon-themed version, but it's almost for the same price as regular Switch here (And Switch on sale is even cheaper), which kinda kills the point of getting Lite over regular.

Years
  • I'll see how I feel in the future.
    I really like the swsh design for it, and my Nintendo consoles end up being Pokemon machines anyway.
    It also is notable(at least to me) that the same issues as the joycons will arise. Namely the horrible right stick placement, and stick issues in general, especially on a purely handheld version.
    I was kind of hoping they'd re-purpose the 3DS circle pad, and just like add a tac switch under it for clicking.
    But like I said, I have Pokemon machines, and swsh has a free camera only sometimes. Which means less right stick use overall and less thumb cramps for us big handed people.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    Doesn't it being handheld only kinda go against the core premise of the Switch? Like, it can't be that hard to make a smaller Switch that still has the specs and features of the original, right?

Back