• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Anime/Manga Ghibli Films

starseed galaxy auticorn

[font=Finger Paint][COLOR=#DCA6F3][i]PC's Resident
Years
  • It's so hard to choose! I love them all so much. I do have this memory with Ponyo that made me really love this movie. It's kind of silly and childish, but I had been obsessed with it as soon as I heard it was going into theaters the first time. I wanted to see it so bad because it just made me so happy, and I was really hoping to see it the first day. Well, my dad said we didn't have the money... and it ended up causing me to meltdown so much. If you know what obsessions are like for an autistic person is, this might be understandable... but yeah.

Spirited Away was my very first Miyazaki film that got me started... the rest sort of followed after that. <3

Years
  • I've actually not really seen much of Ghibli at all. I've seen the mandatory Spirited Away which was brilliant but other than that there's a lot I want to see I just haven't gotten to yet.

Years
  • I've actually not really seen much of Ghibli at all. I've seen the mandatory Spirited Away which was brilliant but other than that there's a lot I want to see I just haven't gotten to yet.

I'm in a pretty similar position actually, all be it I've seen a handful of them. It's not like they're going anywhere.

I also own steelbooks for 6 or 7 of them.

Last edited:
    Years
  • Princess Mononoke was the first one I saw, and then in no particular order after it was Spirited Away, My Neighbor Totoro, Castle in the Sky, Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind, Kiki's Delivery Service, and Howl's Moving Castle. Half of those I've only seen once because I never actually owned them, just rented. I definitely haven't been keeping up with any releases since HMC, and I certainly haven't watched all the older movies. I will eventually get around to watching them. Maybe.

Favorites are probably Princess Mononoke (for being the first I saw) and My Neighbor Totoro. Howl's is kind of up there as well, except it's a bit spoiled in my view by me having read the book and ending up thinking that the movie, while pretty, is only an "okay" adaptation.

Years
  • "my neighbor totoro" was the first anime besides pokemon that i've watched. probably my favorite out of all the ghibli films i've watched. after watching mnt, i've always dreamt of having a house just like Satsuki and Mei's. idk why, but Howl's Moving Castle, Whisper of the Heart, Ponyo, Spirited Away never left the same kind of mark that totoro did. they're an enjoyable watch though.

the least favorite must be Grave of the Fireflies. the plot was great. but it made me feel like crap at the end. i was crying all over the place. and i just regret watching it overall. but after a rewatch, it made me accept what happened with Seita and setsuko. after that, I learned that the movie was a semi-autobiography by a Japanese author. that made me bawl again ;-;. the movie was not horrible, everything was great. it's just so different than the other ghibli films I've watched that i tend to stay away from it

Years
    • she/her
    • Seen May 23, 2023
    I love Studio Ghibli! I think the first film that I ever watched was Spirited Away, when I was four or five. I remember being quite scared of it at the time (because of the pig scene and No Face) but having seen it again, I love it. I've also seen a few other ones - Kiki's Delivery Service, Howl's Moving Castle, My Neighbour Totoro and Grave of the Fireflies. I also remember that the main character from Howl's Moving Castle had the same name as me so I dressed up as her for a 'character day' at school when I was about 9 or 10.

I've always enjoyed the concepts for Ghibli films and I'd love to see Princess Mononoke, Castle in the Sky and Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind when I have more free time. I think the only one that ever ruined me was Grave of the Fireflies which was already harrowing enough but then my school decided to hold an exam on it? Where we had to write an essay based on a film extract from it? I think a few people were crying during the exam because it's such an emotional film. :(( Setsuko and also the mum nooooooo

Ys

Wandering Spirit
    Years
    • Age 31
    • They/Them
    • Seen Apr 26, 2024
    I've seen Spirited Away and Howl's Moving Castle. Watched some of Princess Mononoke and Castle in the Sky, but never got into them much so I've never finished watching them.

My favorite was Spirited Away. I love the music and the character, I think the movie is really well done overall.

Hyzenthlay

[span=font-size: 16px; font-family: cinzel; color:
    Years
  • I adore Ghibli movies—nothing else in the world quite compares. Hayao Miyazaki's works in particular! Two of my biggest dreams are to meet Miyazaki and see Joe Hisaishi perform at one of his concerts!

This year, I'm going to have the joy of watching each of them again, only this time as a date with my sweetheart!

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    I don't really remember which was my first, but I've seen Howl's Moving Castle, Spirited Away, Grave of the Fireflies, Porco Rosso, Princess Mononoke, Nausicaa, Kiki's Delivery Service, Totoro, and Tales from Earthsea. Think I'm forgetting something though.

Also tried to watch Ponyo once but wasn't able to get all the way through because the DVD we were watching it on crapped out partway through.

Dunno which I'd call my favorite, and it's getting to be quite a while since I've seen any of them, though I very vaguely recall not really liking Grave of the Fireflies much.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Dec 11, 2023
    Admittedly I haven't seen a lot of them but I know that I've seen Princess Mononoke, Howl's Moving Castle, Spirited Away, and Ponyo. I definitely want to watch Kiki's Delivery Service and Totoro sometime if I were to watch any of the other Ghibli Films. As for my first one I think it was Spirited Away but I can't really remember.

Years
    • Seen Jan 26, 2020
    All that Miyazaki touched. Was a time when these were very popular. In Poland it was right after "Mononoke-hime" first came up. Won't bother telling why.

Back