• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What turns you off from posting inside a thread?

Years
    • Seen today
    I think this could be interesting to see opinions on.

What kind of topics turn you away, and what kind of topics intrigue you?

I've been making threads online since I was 10 years old, yet I only used one forum before I joined Pokecommunity. The reason I mention this is because the dynamic was different on that forum. People loved comparing each other, making tier lists of who had the most quality posts, etc. Those topics usually took over the front page. I didn't want to conform to it, and usually just stuck with what I felt like making...even if they didn't last long.

On Pokecommunity, I feel like simplistic threads usually get the most attention. (Examples: https://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=446282) (https://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=417954) My favorite kind of thread to make are usually test threads, like the Human Benchmark game, but they don't stay alive for long at all. Also I think the dynamic of silly threads has changed a bit. About 3 years ago when I joined, it felt those were much more popularized.

I think personally, I'm turned away from a thread when it feels overbearing. Sometimes if the original post is asking lots of questions, I prefer just reading what other people wrote instead of trying to form an answer myself.

Last note, I thought about putting this in Technology, but this is a topic more about personal feelings.

Years
  • i'm a simple person: is it a topic where i can come up with a pretty decent response for it? if so, yeah. if not, then i'll skip it. usually i take a few moments to think about whether or not it's possible for me to make some sort of reply, and that in itself determines whether i make a response.

but i do like silly topics, though! not everything has to be serious or stiff. we're here to have fun, so i think there should be more lax threads to reflect that.

Years
    • Seen today
    i'm a simple person: is it a topic where i can come up with a pretty decent response for it? if so, yeah. if not, then i'll skip it. usually i take a few moments to think about whether or not it's possible for me to make some sort of reply, and that in itself determines whether i make a response.

but i do like silly topics, though! not everything has to be serious or stiff. we're here to have fun, so i think there should be more lax threads to reflect that.

I didn't mention this in the original post (i forgot). It might just be me, but there can be a strong discomfort with making serious threads. When there's a good idea for a thread, but it's a bit more melancholy, I feel inclined to hold it for a while until there's a tone shift. For example I don't want to be the one person making something overtly serious in a sea of AMA threads. It's why I wasn't fond of the merge with Deep Discussion.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • like honestly if i just got nothing to say i won't reply bc like what is the point

Years
  • I try to stay away from topics that I do not support, because I don't want to get into a situation that could get me into trouble and I also want to stay on good terms with everybody.

I do enjoy partaking in threads that involve something I enjoy like video games or the Rom hacking section which was what got me to join back in 2009.

StCooler

Mayst thou thy peace discover.
    Years
    • Seen today
    Generally, I post only when I believe my opinion / contribution can be relevant.
    The fact that my current posts are mainly on the Forum Games subforum says a lot about what I believe I can be relevant at! XD

I believe my first post on PokéCommunity was a script release for Pokémon Essentials. Before that, I was just lurking. Until ~400 posts I was only on this part of the forum, and I was replying to people asking for help because I felt I mastered Essentials V18 due to me making my fangame. The only topics I wouldn't reply to would be by some people I had eventually blocked, or when I acknowledged I couldn't find the answer (question about an older version of Essentials for example).
    Now that V19 is released and I don't want to upgrade my game because I have too many custom scripts, I left the Development forum, because I am no longer relevant.

So now I'm mostly playing games, but only a few of them. Mainly because there are some games I don't feel I can make a funny post (Vending Machine), or maybe the title/concept doesn't appeal to me (Fortunately/Unfortunately, Gender Race...), or because it's too hard for me to write a post (Rhyme Time, Acronym Game, because I'm not a native English speaker) and so on.
    In the Forum Games I play, I generally post when I find something a bit funny to reply.
    Honestly I would have quitted PokéCommunity after the release of Essentials V19 if I didn't laugh that often when reading your posts, you're all amazingly funny :D

Now, I believe your question would be mostly about the Off-Topic forum or when you're asking opinions on something. I don't always post in topics because I can live without giving my opinion (or even having an opinion) on everything I see (which, I believe, is a wisdom that social medias should learn).
    In addition to this, I don't post when I believe I'd go against the flow, or my opinions might be relevant, but controversial and might ruin my "funny Kabutops" persona. Example in spoiler, I fear it might trigger some people.
    Spoiler:

One last point. Being not native makes it a bit harder to find the right words to actually convey the message I want to write. If I feel I will need to elaborate and would end up writing a long post that would take me half an hour or more (just like this post lol), I generally don't bother ^^"

Years
    • Seen today
    Generally, I post only when I believe my opinion / contribution can be relevant.
    The fact that my current posts are mainly on the Forum Games subforum says a lot about what I believe I can be relevant at! XD

I believe my first post on PokéCommunity was a script release for Pokémon Essentials. Before that, I was just lurking. Until ~400 posts I was only on this part of the forum, and I was replying to people asking for help because I felt I mastered Essentials V18 due to me making my fangame. The only topics I wouldn't reply to would be by some people I had eventually blocked, or when I acknowledged I couldn't find the answer (question about an older version of Essentials for example).
    Now that V19 is released and I don't want to upgrade my game because I have too many custom scripts, I left the Development forum, because I am no longer relevant.

So now I'm mostly playing games, but only a few of them. Mainly because there are some games I don't feel I can make a funny post (Vending Machine), or maybe the title/concept doesn't appeal to me (Fortunately/Unfortunately, Gender Race...), or because it's too hard for me to write a post (Rhyme Time, Acronym Game, because I'm not a native English speaker) and so on.
    In the Forum Games I play, I generally post when I find something a bit funny to reply.
    Honestly I would have quitted PokéCommunity after the release of Essentials V19 if I didn't laugh that often when reading your posts, you're all amazingly funny :D

Now, I believe your question would be mostly about the Off-Topic forum or when you're asking opinions on something. I don't always post in topics because I can live without giving my opinion (or even having an opinion) on everything I see (which, I believe, is a wisdom that social medias should learn).
    In addition to this, I don't post when I believe I'd go against the flow, or my opinions might be relevant, but controversial and might ruin my "funny Kabutops" persona. Example in spoiler, I fear it might trigger some people.
    Spoiler:

One last point. Being not native makes it a bit harder to find the right words to actually convey the message I want to write. If I feel I will need to elaborate and would end up writing a long post that would take me half an hour or more (just like this post lol), I generally don't bother ^^"

Thank you. Great post to read and very thought provoking. Forum Games hadn't even occurred to me, but yeah there's a few topics I completely ignore over there. I'm not a huge fan of Count to Infinity because it can be outright boring. I liked the Haiku game, but I knew it was going to have a short life span because it requires way more thought than a quick in and out post. I enjoy the race thread in Trivia, but I wish there could be some more debate rather than everybody following the upvotes and downvotes. That thread is at it's best when there's not a clear decision, instead of rushing for the next Pokemon asap.

Years
    • she/her
    • Seen May 23, 2023
    If I think I have a relevant life experience/interest in that topic then I'll reply usually. I like topics where you get to understand and know people on a deeper level as I find it interesting to see how unique and different each person's experience is. I enjoy getting to know a person better even if sometimes my only idea of them is from what they post on the forums. This can apply to anything whether it's life experiences in Off Topic, the music someone loves, the video games they enjoy playing, the shows they love and so on. I find it awesome when people are super passionate about a topic and I try to join if I feel interested enough in it too or want to know more.

Certain topics I'll be more interested in than others - for example I used to be super passionate about discussing Pokemon but these days I don't feel the need to discuss it as much as it's just not one of my major interests anymore. Some topics I'll have a lot more to say on than others which is where clubs are neat since it's nice to come back and have discussions about certain topics, for example mental health is something I find incredibly important. I tend to shy away from topics that I don't feel too comfortable participating in like debates, politics etc. It's great that they're there and I do value serious threads but it's not something I would feel comfortable discussing publicly yet as I don't know how to articulate my own viewpoints and I get stressed about conflict even in the context of friendly debates. I find I enjoy fun light-hearted threads with ??? hypotheticals but I also tend to shy away from anything that isn't really a discussion and more a light hearted forum game - I can see how they'd be fun to people and they're awesome but I would rather do something else in those instances. :D

Years
    • Seen Apr 21, 2024
    I won't reply if I don't have anything to say to it, it isn't a simple question, or if the topic doesn't interest me. Sometimes if the topic doesn't interest me or I have nothing to say about it, I will reply I'm bored enough, though.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
  • If it's shitposty, I will probably ignore it. Or topics that I know are a "controversial" or subject than will easily be debated. I don't have the time, nor energy for controversial topics and just won't take part in those. Also all of forum games.

Years
  • I try to avoid debates. I'm terrible at them. That said, I'll give my opinion nicely than leave.

Years
    • Any pronoun
    • Online now
    Weighs a few things.

1. Is there anything worth adding? If not, then do not post. Prefers not to repeat unless necessary. May Like a post.

2. Do you have anything to say? Considers this different than the first item.
    - Example 1: Just started Tales of Vesperia. Happened to be talking about it in a thread. Cannot say much yet. Qualifies for the month's gaming challenge also. Will likely not finish before the month's end. Why bother?
    - Example 2: Might post more in "Have You Ever?". Struggles to think of good questions.

Covers technical questions, some real-life topics with little experience, and subjects concerning more veteran members (see: Forum Games Rule Change thread) too

3. Does this reveal something unwanted? Could be something fairly major (such as certain real life things) or minor (particular interests). Wants people to know more, but not everything.

4. Is the topic interesting? Stays out of most counting games.

5. Did you already say this (or similar) elsewhere? Avoids rehashing too much.

6. Do you want to get into this? Concerns more serious topics. Demands more care in replying. Shies away from more argumentative threads too.

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Seen today
    Sudden changes of heart can do that sometimes. I come into a thread because I'm interested. Then I read the op and some posts and hta could already make me want to leave without a reply. I think the reasons for that can be manyfold. Sometimes I expect more out of a thread than it ends up being, sometimes it is more than I initially wanted and I just leave silently, because I know I can not contribute in a meaningful way. Sometimes I don't respond because I actually want to respond but end up not knowing what to write.

It's sometimes hard to pin down what type of threads those are, though. I could literally frequent a thread for weeks or months and then from one point to the other I completely stop caring. It could be a new thread, a silly one could drag me in because of how silly it is, but it could also turn me off because of how silly it is. US politics and similar stuff I usually avoid because that's something I know nothing about, as I don't live there. This is one of the few instances I can actually pin point down well enough.

I like threads that demand a certain amount of creativity, but creativity is also very dependent on the moment. If I'm just not into it at that moment then I won't post or if I post it's going to be very painful to come up with a reply.
    I can also post on a grind, but the moment I become aware of the grind I can just lose interest, completely.

I guess it's mostly a mood dependent thing and I can be very moody...

Years
  • I prefer to not butt in when I have nothing to add or if the topic just doesn't interest me.

Also, I feel a bit uncomfortable when replying to someone I've had no interaction with before.
    I lurked in the Trade Corner alone for quite a while and only ventured out and started exploring other sections due to VPP.
    Someone with a VPP link in their signature moved a thread into the Trade Corner and I clicked on it to check it out. Then I started checking out the rest of the forums.
    Been trying to mingle here & there, but still feel awkward trying to talk to people I've had no interaction with yet. Often takes me quite some time to work up the courage to post.
    Yes I'm also shy in real life.

Neb

Cosmog Enthusiast
    Years
    • Age 22
    • He/they
    • Oregon
    • Seen Mar 14, 2023
    If there's no way I can add to a thread without repeating what others are saying, I usually don't post.

I also avoid debate and political threads. My political opinions change constantly and I have ended up regretting what I posted later.

Back