• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Count To Infinity - v11

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Seen today

Pescetarians eat fish, but apparently vegetarians do not. I think a lot of the confusion comes from most people distinguishing between meat and fish for whatever reason. Like, fish also has meat but it's not meat, it's fish. We humans do weird things, sometimes...

Duck

🦆 quack quack
    Years
    • he, they
    • Seen Feb 23, 2023

It's not all that uncommon for people where I live to make a distinction between meat (read: red meat like pork or beef) and chicken, even. So people thinking fish is vegetarian comes across as predictable even in a certain sense.

I guess Catholicism also helps a bit with that - if I remember correctly, one of the Lent traditions (which many only remember on Easter Sunday - the last day of Lent - or do every Friday for some reason) is that you're supposed to give up meat and instead, eat "fish".

Now, considering beaver counts as a "fish", my guess is that it's just not the usual meats you'd eat back in the Middle Ages and eat """inferior""" grade meats or something, which makes sense considering the point of Lent is giving up things you like for a time.

And to make things worse, things are fuzzy. Some vegetarians might eat shrimp, insects, clams or other invertebrates. Most vegans won't eat any animal product - including those whose harvest is theoretically pain-free, like eggs which most fowl lay on their own without any pain, or honey from a bee - arguing that it's unethical because of suffering and poor "worker" conditions in the industrialization process, but this very reasoning means that some people that are extremely "vegan-adjacent", for the lack of a better word, will occasionally eat products from their own animals since they can reason those were obtained in a cruelty-free manner.

tl;dr: humans are confusing, but in general:

- pescatarians eat fish, animal products that don't come from death and non-animal products
    - vegetarians eat animal products that don't come from death and non-animal products
    - vegans eat non-animal products only

And you'd be right, like 95% of the time.

Years
    • Seen Nov 14, 2023

I love fish, but sushi is generally a no bueno for me, last time I did have it it did not end so well for me x_X
    this should be 239,334 🙂

I am now picturing this:
    big-brain-meme.gif

but with rapunzel hair instead of bald..... 🤔

I got two weeks off and am pretty just upping my shiny breeding as I don't really have anything to do either xD
    I don't mind though. These two weeks are just to recover =3

239,335 that's nice what you currently hunting for? 😮

Years

It's not all that uncommon for people where I live to make a distinction between meat (read: red meat like pork or beef) and chicken, even. So people thinking fish is vegetarian comes across as predictable even in a certain sense.

I guess Catholicism also helps a bit with that - if I remember correctly, one of the Lent traditions (which many only remember on Easter Sunday - the last day of Lent - or do every Friday for some reason) is that you're supposed to give up meat and instead, eat "fish".

Now, considering beaver counts as a "fish", my guess is that it's just not the usual meats you'd eat back in the Middle Ages and eat """inferior""" grade meats or something, which makes sense considering the point of Lent is giving up things you like for a time.

And to make things worse, things are fuzzy. Some vegetarians might eat shrimp, insects, clams or other invertebrates. Most vegans won't eat any animal product - including those whose harvest is theoretically pain-free, like eggs which most fowl lay on their own without any pain, or honey from a bee - arguing that it's unethical because of suffering and poor "worker" conditions in the industrialization process, but this very reasoning means that some people that are extremely "vegan-adjacent", for the lack of a better word, will occasionally eat products from their own animals since they can reason those were obtained in a cruelty-free manner.

tl;dr: humans are confusing, but in general:

- pescatarians eat fish, animal products that don't come from death and non-animal products
    - vegetarians eat animal products that don't come from death and non-animal products
    - vegans eat non-animal products only

And you'd be right, like 95% of the time.

My MIL on me being veggie when she offers me meat... "oh but it's only chicken" 😅

Years

ah yes. "Nono, there's no meat in this... just chicken." sounds familiar.

I like sushis, but I never understand people who are addicted to them.
    I mean, Tandoori chicken is better in every aspect :P
    *Now fight*

Almost anything is better than sushi imo =p

this should be 239,334 🙂
    239,335 that's nice what you currently hunting for? 😮

Wrapped up my shiny alolan sandshrew breed yesterday ^.^
    3.000 eggs for two of them, and the first one took 2.100
    Kinda glad that shiny breed is over with xD

I've tossed a Level Ball Eevee into the daycare for the next one, but I need to take a break for a day or two after that lengthy shiny breed =p

StCooler

Mayst thou thy peace discover.
    Years
    • Seen May 5, 2024

For me fish and meat are strictly the same "kind" of food: it's the flesh of a dead animal. However a vegetarian friend told me once there was a distinction between both: meat is from animals that "have a soul" (sic) and fish / seafood do not have souls.
    I believe souls don't exist (even in humans) so I am still not sure of what he meant ^^"

I live in a sea-foodish type area and don't enjoy sea food.
    Same problem here!
    I do eat fish but I don't like the rest of the sea food (molluscs are just... ewwww; and crabs are too cute yes).

Years
    • Online now

I'm in maryland which is the state of crab. I do not enjoy them.

People will look at you like an alien from 40 galaxies away if you mention not liking crabs.

Duck

🦆 quack quack
    Years
    • he, they
    • Seen Feb 23, 2023

For me fish and meat are strictly the same "kind" of food: it's the flesh of a dead animal. However a vegetarian friend told me once there was a distinction between both: meat is from animals that "have a soul" (sic) and fish / seafood do not have souls.
    I believe souls don't exist (even in humans) so I am still not sure of what he meant ^^"

That's a new one. Even if we do assume the existence of souls, how would we know fish don't have souls and cattle do?

I mean, I suppose you wouldn't want fish to have souls if you believe that everything with a soul goes to heaven since fish usually lay hundreds to thousands of eggs per clutch gambling that at least a few will survive on their own whereas most mammals / birds have relatively few young and take care of them so they have better chances of growing old and having offspring of their own.

But still, it feels like a rather arbitrary distinction.

In the subject of seafood / sushi: I like some kinds of fried fish but don't really care for most raw kinds of sushi. I love my the "hot sushis" though - Hot Philadelphia is one of my faves.

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Seen today

I like tuna but apparently it's one of those types of fish that end up having mercury inside them which means some people actually have to avoid eating it. I don't know what to think of that.

StCooler

Mayst thou thy peace discover.
    Years
    • Seen May 5, 2024

That's a new one. Even if we do assume the existence of souls, how would we know fish don't have souls and cattle do?
    If you survive staring into the eyes of my profile picture for five minutes, then you don't have a soul! That's how they knew that fish didn't have souls.

Duck

🦆 quack quack
    Years
    • he, they
    • Seen Feb 23, 2023

If you survive staring into the eyes of my profile picture for five minutes, then you don't have a soul! That's how they knew that fish didn't have souls.

Have you corrected the picture for refraction before showing it to the fish? Your experimental method might not be sufficiently rigorous.

Years

ah yes. "Nono, there's no meat in this... just chicken." sounds familiar.

When I had to go gluten free a few years ago, she offered me biscuits. I said "no thank you, I can't, I'm gluten free" she said "but these ones are only plain"

She also handed us a cloth when we told her that her browser cookies needed cleaning. I promise I'm not making that up!

Same problem here!
    I do eat fish but I don't like the rest of the sea food (molluscs are just... ewwww; and crabs are too cute yes).

Kinda sounds like your friend just wants to eat fish 🤣

Nothing wrong with that, everyone's different, so there's no need to justify it by robbing the poor things of their souls ;)

Anyway... fish are friends :)

Years

Pretty sure I've hit five minutes collectively by now for every time I glance at it.... guess I'm soulless 😔

When I had to go gluten free a few years ago, she offered me biscuits. I said "no thank you, I can't, I'm gluten free" she said "but these ones are only plain"

She also handed us a cloth when we told her that her browser cookies needed cleaning. I promise I'm not making that up!

😂

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back