• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

News: Sun and Moon region revealed: The Alola Region

Years
Alola sounds like Aloha, which means "hello" in Hawaiian. Nice to see all the attention to detail they have done with this region, and hopefully we'll learn more in coming months.

Altius

Flygon Fan
Years
Island hopping is a really interesting concept. Plus the tropical vibes! Quite excited about the new region. It's something really fresh.

also, inb4 too much water 7.8/10

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 1, 2023
First!

OMG, Hype!!!!

SK39yE7.gif

Much like the rest of us! What's got you hyped the most? :) For me it's definitely the storyline... which hasn't come out yet but I am ~hopeful~ But the region name is pretty cool when you think about it, so it's exciting to think of what will come in the region. c:

PkmnTrainerElio

♥ Jung Hoseok, Kim Namjoon and Park Jimin ♥
Years
The name seems a bit lazy, but not as lazy as Kanto (which shares the name as the place it's based on, for those of you who don't know).

But, it looks like Castelia City and Lumiose City had a baby and made that city.
9k=

It looks amazing!
9k=

Last edited:

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
Years
Obviously Hawaii. What we can see in the video is way too small for a region. Wouldn't be a surprise to have multiple islands like real Hawaii.

The only thing I regret a bit is another tropical region after Hoenn. But Hawaii is a great place so they can do awesome stuff here!

I know a lot of people don't really consider Hoenn as a true tropical region. I kinda agree. Although, Hoenn was obviously tropical, some things just didn't feel tropically enough to me. This is the first true tropical region for me.

Kalos was basically spring with all the flowers and now we are going into a summer like region.

And yeah, the island does seem extremely small. I can only really see 3 towns, if that. So I am hoping we hope to different islands. 8 Islands and 8 Badges seem about right.

I am also not seeing the building we saw in the first trailer that people said looked like the Raffles Hotel.

Last edited:

thedestinedblade

Radiant Cool Boy
Years
Definitely has to be only a small part of the whole region. Wonder where it's situated in comparison to other regions? I think it's looks great though and the tropical feel is something I always wanted for a pokemon setting. Can't wait to explore.

Inb4 Marlon cameo! :)

Years
The name, honestly, is a bit disapointing for me. It is just taken from the term Aloha, which I find a bit lazy. They could have done MUCH better

I recall Aloha was also part of Alomomola, aka that big pink Luvdisc-like fish from 5th Gen. It was based on a sunfish, which is a species that's commonly seen in Hawaii. And both Alola and Unova are based on parts of America (since Hawaii is part of it), as if all my 5th Gen connection theories haven't been enough.

Years
The screen we got looked like Oahu which happens to be the most populated Hawaiian island so I hope they go slightly unrealistic and put all the big cities on the big island.

I would also be disappointed if there ends up being a shitton of water routes. Endless waves of Alomomola oh god no

Years
So essentially it's like 'Aloha,' but with 'LOL' in there instead? I guess they might have had some reason for doing that. Pick your poison. It's a strange name if they want these to have a particularly serious plot or anything, but they might just intend a fairly light-hearted game by this point. Certainly, if the graphics moved more in the direction of resembling an anime...

The name seems a bit lazy, but not as lazy as Kanto (which shares the name as the place it's based on, for those of you who don't know).
That was at the beginning of the series, they might have liked the congruence with a place. It might have helped familiarise the games. However, generally speaking it's a different mode of coming up with the names, rather than a 'more lazy' version.

EC

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Jul 1, 2022
Mele Kalikimaka is a thing to say... on a bright Hawaiian Christmas day.

Years
I definitely think that we'll get more islands along with the one shown in the trailer, I'll be super hyped if thats the case cause the games will have an Orange Islands type feel to them which will be really cool.

Years
I am satisfied with the region they chose. The name is fine, a bit lazy, though. I am expecting lots of caves and mountainous areas, maybe a volcano. As others have pointed out, that map looks really small. Hoping there is more to it and we only got a shot of the starting area. Maybe there are multiple islands based on the Hawaiian islands, and the shot we got was the starting island. There are eight islands that make up the Hawaiian islands. So, maybe the eight gyms will be on different islands.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
Years
For those who have doubted Hawaii being the next place the region will be based on, bow to your Team Hawaii overlords. As for the comments about how the region's too small, so was the Hoenn region when flying with Mega Lati@s. I'm sure the region itself will look bigger in the overworld gameplay.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Aug 21, 2021
It looks small to me as well. But I don't know why they would just show Island one.

Because it's the first gameplay trailer and they don't need to show off everything at once?

In past games they probably would have covered up parts of the map with clouds, but I guess if there are multiple islands then there will be multiple maps, so they can easily keep parts of the region a secret until a later date.

Sword Master

You underestimate my power!
Years
The region looks really good, I had my doubts on a Hawaii based region, but my doubts have been cleared up.

Aloha region? Really?! I hope they change it soon.

LilBueno

Boy Wonder
Years
Really hoping that region isn't as small as it looked, though Hawaii itself isn't known for being a huge area.
About the name, it sounds dumb. Honestly, I would have preferred to name it "Aloha" than have that double L sound.

countryemo

Kicking against the earth!
Years
People were predicting Spain? Lol. I saw a video a month or two ago that analyzed the initial announcement of Sun and Moon and basically proved to me it would be Hawaii, so I got exactly what I expected with this, and I'm happy about that.

It had its merits. I was personally a Spain believer, there was evidence towards Hawaii and Spain or similar area. Plus if it wasn't hawaii, it wouldn't be the first time they took something from another place and put it in another region.

Not sure how I feel about the name, I'll keep seeing / saying Aloha, though Alola could be the Japanese name like Isshu(?) and Unova. Also seems quite small, and not sure how I feel about that city / road taking up so much space, just seems weird. Please have more islands..

Back