• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[News] Thanks for the [3DS] Memories

Years
  • It's finally come around folks. Nintendo have confirmed there will be nothing new coming up for the 3DS in terms of first party releases. The 3DS can now finally be laid to rest and turn into a console of old, just like our Gameboys and Gameboy Colours (And I guess SP/Advances for you youngsters).

Personally, out with the old and in with the new I say; if this means more efforts can be focused on the Switch and its titles then great! There are a plethora of great titles for the 3DS so let's enjoy those and the many memories we have of them.

What say you?

Years
  • I honestly enjoyed everything about the 3DS except for the 3D features, and I know I am not alone in that. I always treated mine like an upgraded DSi.

What I really loved was playing Ocarina of Time and aiming my slingshot with the gyroscopic controls the 3DS had. It's the little things that count.

Last edited:

CodeHelmet

Banned
    Years
  • It was bound to happen seeing as the Switch is basically their latest handheld. When I was flying back East to visit family this past Winter, a guy had his in the Terminal to burn off the time before his flight. The fact it's portable means they've made the switch(pun intended).

Years
  • The 3DS is a great handheld and easily better than its predecessors, but there was just no need to continue producing content for it when the Switch can do everything it does but better with the added advantage of it being both a home console and a handheld.

Years
  • I have... mixed feelings about this.

Like yeah, this was inevitable. I'm pretty sure ever since the Switch was launched, people have been expecting the 3DS to go on the wayside, and Nintendo's statement recently says as much. Still, I feel like a large part of me is saddened because this is essentially saying goodbye to an era that has pretty much existed since the current millenials were like... toddlers. Nintendo was always known for their handhelds, so unless they make a successor to it (which is doubtful, I don't think they'll cannibalize their Switch sales), it's going to feel weird to not see another one, anymore.

Still though, I do agree with the perspective that perhaps it's time to lay the 3DS to rest. While sales may hold steady, I don't expect a whole lot of people to play anything other than old first/third party titles and Pokemon and even that's only going to go on for so long.

In any event, I'm super grateful for the memories the 3DS gave me over the years. ;_;

User Anon 1848

It had a good run. I wish I branched out and played more non-Pokemon games for the 3DS. I think I played more Virtual Console classics than games actually designed for the hardware.

Years
  • It was inevitable but ;____;

I was late to the 3ds party but even so, I had so much fun with it. Its true that with the arrival of switch I had low hopes that they would still do work on the handheld version but with the switch's success.. ;v; guess its time to say goodbye to the DS days :(

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Online now
    press f to pay respects

Hopefully they'll keep up WiFi service for it for another few years.

Years
  • Nintendo also said that they're still going to support the 3DS despite no plans for any new 3DS titles, so those who are saying "R.I.P." are doing this too prematurely. Wait until Nintendo announces its successor, which, on the contrary, isn't the Switch, to say that.

Announcing a 3DS successor would be cannibalizing its Switch Sales. Why get a Switch when you get a much cheaper handheld, instead, and one that most people are already more or less familiar with?

If Nintendo wants to appeal to the more economical end of things, they'd just release a cheaper version of the Switch without the bells and whistles. Maybe the console itself without the dock would do, or missing some other feature that would ordinarily drive up costs.

As much as I would want the DS line as a whole to continue, I feel like there's no reason for it to.

Pig

Angry ecologist
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jul 16, 2023
    As much as I would want the DS line as a whole to continue, I feel like there's no reason for it to.

I'm ready to say goodbye. It's had its run. The Switch works as a portable and home console. I don't see a reason for more DSes.

tigertron

Pokémon Master
    Years
  • I have a feeling the Switch is the successor to Nintendo's handheld consoles. Nintendo will save a lot of money on manufacturing costs.

Anyway, it's time the 3DS ended as it's 8 years old now.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Mar 22, 2024
    I'm actually quite excited for them to focus fully on the Switch now - the library has gotten much better over time already, but a lot of them are ports, and while that in itself is not a problem, I would love to see more new games really created for the Switch and utilizing its unique features.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
    Years
  • Announcing a 3DS successor would be cannibalizing its Switch Sales. Why get a Switch when you get a much cheaper handheld, instead, and one that most people are already more or less familiar with?

If Nintendo wants to appeal to the more economical end of things, they'd just release a cheaper version of the Switch without the bells and whistles. Maybe the console itself without the dock would do, or missing some other feature that would ordinarily drive up costs.

The new handheld system doesn't need to be a continuation of the DS line. It could be a brand new line entirely with a gimmick that's unique from the Switch. I don't understand how it'll cannibalized the Switch's sales when that's never happened in the past (the Switch's portable mode is still limited in comparison to a true handheld system like the 3DS).

Years
  • The new handheld system doesn't need to be a continuation of the DS line. It could be a brand new line entirely with a gimmick that's unique from the Switch. I don't understand how it'll cannibalized the Switch's sales when that's never happened in the past (the Switch's portable mode is still limited in comparison to a true handheld system like the 3DS).

I'm curious of what you really think a new handheld, even if not a continuation of the DS-line, would bring to the table that the Switch currently doesn't.

Having both a Switch and a New 3DS XL, the console itself (without joycons attached) is... honestly quite the same size. Unless you feel the XL 3DSes are limited in portability as well? What's your definition of "portable" in the first place?

By the way, of course it "never happened in the past", because Nintendo's consoles (such as the Wii) never made portability a focus to begin with; they were pretty much fully-fledged home consoles so there was still reason to purchase a (3)DS. Nowadays though, because Nintendo markets the Switch's strength based on portability, what advantage is there to introducing an entirely new handheld console line? That would mean dedicating additional resources and dev time to two completely different consoles with similar specs, just one being smaller than the other. There's no real net gain to be had here.

I mean, when you can toss your Switch into a carrying case alongside an external battery case to use if necessary, what reason is there to introduce something completely different that wouldn't... really achieve much, anyway?

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Online now
    On one hand I'm sad that it's gone. On the other hand I'm glad that it's gone. The reason for that: no more stupid region lock bs.

It's the worst getting refused to play a game you find interesting just because they didn't release it in your region.

Alex

what will it be next?
    Years
    • Seen Dec 30, 2022
    Only really had a 3DS for Pokemon, and I've already got more games on Switch than I ever did for 3DS. So I'm cool with this. Good-bye!

Back